Brilliance or independence of the seas?

I haven't booked yet, but we picked the Brilliance. We are just so much more comfortable with being gone only 5 nights (4 cruise + 1 to fly in early). I've spent a lot of time looking at pictures and reviews, and Brilliance looks to be in pretty good shape. And we are used to Celebrity, which doesn't have a whole lot of activities like ice shows and laser tag anyways.

While we are excited to bring the kids on one of the big RCCL ships once they are potty trained, the length of the Brilliance is making this a winner for us for this trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

About a year ago I was in your shoes with the same exact decision..... I booked both, lol. We did the Brilliance 4 night last month and we are doing 5 nights on Indy in March. Even funnier was that when we were in Cozumel on Brilliance she was docked right next to Indy. So I took a picture. I call this  Now & Later"

DSCF1210.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 3:53 PM, Twotravelers0779 said:

Hi, my question is about a cruise to the Baltic Sea.

Me and my husband are in between Celebrity Silhouette and RCL Brilliance of the Sea for next year. Brilliance is lower price, of course. But if someone can tell me if it is worth it to pay less or to go higher on Celebrity. Thanks!

Celebrity buffet was great, really disliked brilliance windjammer thought food was terrible and this was on Europe cruise. 

16 hours ago, George C said:

Celebrity buffet was great, really disliked brilliance windjammer thought food was terrible and this was on Europe cruise. 

On this fall's transatlantic, our group found the Windjammer food so good that most of us never ate in the main dining room.

We just got off the Indy, so I would go with it.  The New Playmakers was packed with the football playoffs going on, and there are several things that have been updated.  Good ocean views from the dining rooms and the specialty restaurants too.

i would stay away from the promenade cabins because of the noise on the last night of the cruise.   We could hear loud music and partying until 1:30 on the last night, and we were in a balcony on deck 6.  Can’t imagine how much noise was in the promenade rooms.

I am going on the Brilliance next month and kinda regretting it - realizing they don't have Boleros which happens to be my absolute favorite place to be.  I'm sure I will have a good time anyway but this is a con for me, for sure, so just mentioning it.  I have been on the Indy and really liked her!  Come to think of it, the only time i really didn't love the ship was the Enchantment, and I didn't hate it, but I think the portion they added in the middle made it a weird ship to be on.

I figure the OP already booked, lol, but I think a ship with a promenade is the way to go.  I will make an exception for the Majesty I just have a soft spot for her. 

36 minutes ago, ZandZ said:

I am going on the Brilliance next month and kinda regretting it - realizing they don't have Boleros which happens to be my absolute favorite place to be.  I'm sure I will have a good time anyway but this is a con for me, for sure, so just mentioning it.  I have been on the Indy and really liked her!  Come to think of it, the only time i really didn't love the ship was the Enchantment, and I didn't hate it, but I think the portion they added in the middle made it a weird ship to be on. ...

Interesting that you mention Exchanment in the negative as it has one of the largest Boleros on older ships.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Interesting that you mention Exchanment in the negative as it has one of the largest Boleros on older ships.

Yes it does.  Which was also a little strange - cave like and with no windows looking out and no daylight.  I'm there mostly for the live music which was pretty good on my sailing, so no complaints.  That ship was just strange to walk around on....  I mean, its not a negative, per se, just trying to think back to all my cruises and come up with anything meh related to the ship itself.  Its hard, to be honest, even a bad vacation is better than a day at the office :)  

Edited by ZandZ

1 minute ago, ZandZ said:

Yes it does.  Which was also a little strange - cave like and with no windows looking out and no daylight.  I'm there mostly for the live music which was pretty good on my sailing, so no complaints.  That ship was just strange to walk around on....  I mean, its not a negative, per say, just trying to think back to all my cruises and come up with anything meh related to the ship itself.  Its hard, to be honest, even a bad vacation is better than a day at the office 🙂

We've always liked the Boleros on Sovereign class ships the best.  Large, with windows on both sides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

We've always liked the Boleros on Sovereign class ships the best.  Large, with windows on both sides.

I have to say my favorite is on the Navigator.  Yes its small, but I find the dance floor not crowded most of the time. 

I am kicking myself for booking a ship that does not have one - but I woulda never thought to even check!  To me this is so basic... The other day I went to check deck plans to determine the quickest way from my cabin, looked on the 4th floor deck plans and lost my mind.  lol.  I feel kinda homeless actually.

We LOVE Brilliance, in our mid 30’s and love the views, love Schooner and plenty to do for short itinerary. 

But, Freedom class is probably my fav class in terms of size and activities. 

Brilliance is perfect for 4-5 nights, we’ve done both itineraries.  I say larger ship for longer itinerary. 

Also, we love Tampa and hit up Oxford Exchange the morning of before boarding. 

Younger/Independance

Older or retired/Brilliance

I am retired and I like them both, but I have to say the Independence is even more to my liking even though I'm older, but we will do the Brilliance again to do the Key West stop.

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2018 at 7:41 AM, illiniwahoo said:

I haven't booked yet, but we picked the Brilliance. We are just so much more comfortable with being gone only 5 nights (4 cruise + 1 to fly in early). I've spent a lot of time looking at pictures and reviews, and Brilliance looks to be in pretty good shape. And we are used to Celebrity, which doesn't have a whole lot of activities like ice shows and laser tag anyways.

While we are excited to bring the kids on one of the big RCCL ships once they are potty trained, the length of the Brilliance is making this a winner for us for this trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

OP...going through exact same dilemma . For us, its between a 4 day on Brilliance or a 4 day on Independence.  So same length and even same itinerary (except departure port of Tampa vs Fort Lauderdale).  We would select Independence, except that we've been on her before and so would be exact same ship.  Never done Brilliance...and hesitation is the size of the ship (and we just got on Symphony!), and the ship being a bit older as your concern.  I'm a show person too, and from the pictures, they seem like your cheesy Las Vegas style.  But I hear the views and all are lovely.  

Did you end up booking Brilliance as per your post?  How did you find it?  

Edited by LuCruise

• 10 months later...
10 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Hello.  Hard decision when both ships look great.  We booked Brilliance, but then saw Adventure for similar dates, similar price, but with 2 more days, so we ended up booking Adventure instead.  Brilliance is still on our bucket list some day though.  It seems to have wonderful views and a more intimate ship.  From your description, it sounds like Brilliance would be a good fit (from what I've heard about it).

I've sailed Adventure several times. Just got off two weeks ago. Always had a great time on the ship.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 10:30 PM, LC2626 said:

We LOVE Brilliance, in our mid 30’s and love the views, love Schooner and plenty to do for short itinerary. 

But, Freedom class is probably my fav class in terms of size and activities. 

Brilliance is perfect for 4-5 nights, we’ve done both itineraries.  I say larger ship for longer itinerary. 

Also, we love Tampa and hit up Oxford Exchange the morning of before boarding. 

I'm slightly older, but I agree with this.  We were on Brilliance in December, loved the common spaces and views of the ocean.  Perfect for shorter itineraries but we'd want to bump up to a larger ship for anything longer than 4-5 days.  I was also pleasantly surprised with the condition of the ship.  It didn't feel dated to me.

When you decide to bring you kids though, I would aim for a ship with more kid-centered activities.

14 minutes ago, AspiringCindy said:

Don’t forget about the free Ben and Jerry’s daily.

Lol...we ended up booking this room on Independence.  This is an old post.

If anyone can get this room on Indy, Freedom on Liberty, I highly recommend it.  Fun room, access to suite lounge (at promenade room cost) and daily ice cream as you say.