Culinary Arts Dinner

joyce&bob

When we were on Koningsdam in January, we had pre-purchased the CAC as part of the dine around package (or whatever it is called). Once we boarded, it was offered to all suite guests as a complimentary dinner the first evening (obviously meaning that it wasn’t selling well if they gave it free to all suite guests). This totally wrecked our package and dinner reservations, but we quickly worked through it.

I know we’re in the minority, but we did not enjoy the dinner. Too much show and not enough explanation for us. The cooking was sloppy and strange. We considered the food to be mediocre and service to be nil. We had a hard time getting water refilled.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences...just thought I’d share.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were on Koningsdam in January, we had pre-purchased the CAC as part of the dine around package (or whatever it is called). Once we boarded, it was offered to all suite guests as a complimentary dinner the first evening (obviously meaning that it wasn’t selling well if they gave it free to all suite guests). This totally wrecked our package and dinner reservations, but we quickly worked through it.

I know we’re in the minority, but we did not enjoy the dinner. Too much show and not enough explanation for us. The cooking was sloppy and strange. We considered the food to be mediocre and service to be nil. We had a hard time getting water refilled.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences...just thought I’d share.

Thank you for sharing. Looking at the area on the koningsdam I was not the least bit interested in going. I thought the area looked cheap and the menu not worth trying.

Just curious ... where did you hear of this?

I called HAL yesterday because I’m on the b2b for 21 days in January and was looking forward to enjoying dining there again. They told me to check mid-December when the chef has completed the schedule and I’d then be able to make reservations . The customer service agent made my day!

I called HAL yesterday because I’m on the b2b for 21 days in January and was looking forward to enjoying dining there again. They told me to check mid-December when the chef has completed the schedule and I’d then be able to make reservations . The customer service agent made my day!

Thanks for the info and for taking time to praise the HAL service rep.

Typical HAL reply over the phone. What the agent really meant to say was : "Thank you for callling... Next".

We are also on a 21-day Koningsdam cruise leaving January 14. Our cruises may be the same or may overlap. Who knows? We might even meet on the ship but I can assure you that there is a 99% probability it will not be in the Culinary Arts Centre. ;p

• 4 weeks later...

What is the cost of culinary art dinner? Is it the same as cellar master dinner? we usually always got to do Cellar master dinner and it is always a big HIT ❤️[emoji7] food and wine pairing at Pinnacle Grill, is culinary art dinner similar? And is it available on all ships ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
What is the cost of culinary art dinner? Is it the same as cellar master dinner? we usually always got to do Cellar master dinner and it is always a big HIT ❤️[emoji7] food and wine pairing at Pinnacle Grill, is culinary art dinner similar? And is it available on all ships ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Culinary arts dinner reservations are now available on line!

I just got off on Sunday. it was changing on Dec 10 according to the staff. it will keep the same name and have a bar type atmosphere with a few different happy hours. they said it will be small and big plates served (sliders were the only thing mentioned and tapas style) I was told the screens will remain up to show the chefs cooking but there will not be commentary.

the Americas test kitchen classes. is being done in the same venue but during the day. it was rolled out on the Nov 19 cruise

So the change has occurred and the menu is now completely different. To HAL's credit, they updated the menus already on their website. Prices are reasonable (especially the stuff on the Happy Hour menu), but it's obviously not the same experience as before. Too bad wings ($4) aren't on the happy hour menu. I'm disappointed with the change, I liked the old concept and would have eaten there twice to try both menus on our June cruise.

Details are on this page

Dinner Menu

Happy Hour Menu (4-6pm, 10-11pm)

Edited by MisterBill99

[Thank you for all the info. Any chance you know the new wine packages?

Sorry, no idea. I only found these because I saw a post on a FB group saying that someone had been contacted about a reservation they had at the CAC for an upcoming cruise to let them know that it was now a la carte and to make sure that they still wanted to eat there. I happened to check HAL's website and found the new info.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

I was just looking at the menu, and, although it says "Dinner at the Culinary Arts Centre", it really doesn't seem much like a dinner menu. And all individual prices. You might be able to mix and match and make a meal of it, but I think I will see what I think when we get on board (January 3), and decide then what to do. It really doesn't seem to warrant "reservations" - I might just drop in!:eek:

I was just looking at the menu, and, although it says "Dinner at the Culinary Arts Centre", it really doesn't seem much like a dinner menu. And all individual prices. You might be able to mix and match and make a meal of it, but I think I will see what I think when we get on board (January 3), and decide then what to do. It really doesn't seem to warrant "reservations" - I might just drop in!:eek:

Hello Ann, it might be a nice place to meet for a glass of wine and a few nibbles :D

Hello Ann, it might be a nice place to meet for a glass of wine and a few nibbles :D

I think that is what HAL is going for but the atmosphere does not seem to fit the new concept. it is bright and wide open so everyone going by can see in. I think the ocean bar on the koningsdam would be better suited to casual nibbles and drinks.

I LOVE the koningsdam but the CAC, blend and oceans bar were all unused the majority of the night time and could use a re configuration.

• 1 month later...
So has anyone eaten here since the changeover?

Yes! Ate there a couple of times in Dec. Fabulous & delicious. Flavors out of this world, creative and lively. A Latin approach to the menu, excellent music (truly--we even tried to get access to it. Selected by head office, not streaming, not able to get a CD), upbeat & happy servers.

The menu items are categorized by size, into "bar bites," "small bites," and "big bites." Warning: the servings, even the bar/small bites, are quite a lot of food!

We had the swordfish tacos, each one double the size of a standard taco.The pork chicharrones--beyond wonderful!-- consisted of four cubes that were roughly 2 inches square. The mushroom croquette was to die for!! That item was 2 cones, each the size of a regular waffle ice cream cone. We also ordered the sea bass, brilliant but a HUGE serving... We got an amazing slice of chocolate cake garnished with popcorn that was also humongous--on par with the slices of cheesecake at the Carnegie Deli.

The El Compadre cocktail is also really good. It was always crowded during happy hour. We noted that a lot of staff seemed to eat there (and also in the Dutch Cafe), always a good sign. One note: the servers all share duties rather than being assigned to stations, so you will have a variety of folks taking your orders, bringing your food... I made the mistake of telling one that I had ordered a drink--and they promptly brought me the same order just as the original arrived! All in all, a wonderful place, we cannot wait to go back once again.

Yes! Ate there a couple of times in Dec. Fabulous & delicious. Flavors out of this world, creative and lively. A Latin approach to the menu, excellent music (truly--we even tried to get access to it. Selected by head office, not streaming, not able to get a CD), upbeat & happy servers.

Thanks for the feedback, will have to try the when we are onboard in June. Maybe I'll look for a night with a sub-par menu and go there for happy hour to try them out and then maybe go back for a full dinner if we like it.

• 2 months later...

We just came off the Koningsdam a few days ago after completing a 24 day cruise on her. While we were aboard they had just changed the evening program. There no longer is a happy hour, but the menu remains the same but was priced at 15 dollars per person, and you could order as much as you wanted off the menu. We found it very enjoyable and a very good value.

The Mexican/Latin menu sounds great!!!

Did the music have a Latin feel?

But, the menu would have to change... or rotate???

The concept of the venue doesn't seem to be 'Latin Cantina'.

I can't imagine this being the ongoing permanent menu???

Or, could they be test marketing the idea of an ethnic Mexican/Latin venue, similarly to the Italian and other restaurants onboard?

That doesn't really make sense in my mind, when thinking CAC or ATK.

Also, the menu stays the same, whether one stops by for light eats, or visits for supper???