Infinity 11/10/2018 - online booking “goof” - inputs please

QT911

I booked directly on Celebrity website earlier today. It was a C1 room and the price was great (like $400 less for a C1 with Go Better than what I normally saw). Of course I jumped on it and paid for my booking (it is so close to sailing so I just paid in full). I was smart enough to snip the screen showing I was to receive 2 perks ($300 OBC & drink pkg were my choice but it didn’t list them out). I got the 1st email confirming the total price (no details given). Then the price started to change on the online account I started. Then the 2nd email came with breakdowns and it was higher than what I was under the impression I got. I called up Celebrity and they said it is because it quoted me Senior Pricing which doesn’t come with Go Better. Long story short, they offered to give me a Classic Drink Pkg for me as a “consolation” for the mix up, so I lost the $300 on board & 1 drink pkg but get to keep the senior pricing. Mom & dad don’t drink alcohol but still would be nice to have 1 of them covered for non alcoholic drinks.

I was in a hurry to a planned event so I didn’t really have time to argue. I took the peace offering and now I am wondering do I still have any recourse. As I told the manager lady on the phone, I wouldn’t have known the computer goofed. I booked because I was under the impression that I got the Go Better offer as part of the price.

Your expert cruisers’ inputs much appreciated.

I booked directly on Celebrity website earlier today. It was a C1 room and the price was great (like $400 less for a C1 with Go Better than what I normally saw). Of course I jumped on it and paid for my booking (it is so close to sailing so I just paid in full). I was smart enough to snip the screen showing I was to receive 2 perks ($300 OBC & drink pkg were my choice but it didn’t list them out). I got the 1st email confirming the total price (no details given). Then the price started to change on the online account I started. Then the 2nd email came with breakdowns and it was higher than what I was under the impression I got. I called up Celebrity and they said it is because it quoted me Senior Pricing which doesn’t come with Go Better. Long story short, they offered to give me a Classic Drink Pkg for me as a “consolation” for the mix up, so I lost the $300 on board & 1 drink pkg but get to keep the senior pricing. Mom & dad don’t drink alcohol but still would be nice to have 1 of them covered for non alcoholic drinks.

I was in a hurry to a planned event so I didn’t really have time to argue. I took the peace offering and now I am wondering do I still have any recourse. As I told the manager lady on the phone, I wouldn’t have known the computer goofed. I booked because I was under the impression that I got the Go Better offer as part of the price.

Your expert cruisers’ inputs much appreciated.

No "expert" here (just a long time Celebrity customer) but if you just want to cancel and start over, I believe that you can cancel a reservation with no penalty and get all your money back if you do it within 24 hours of booking.

At least that was their policy in the past.

If that is what you want to do, I suggest calling them about it right away, while you are still within 24 hours of booking, to find out if that policy still applies. Good luck!

My own experience has been that the military discount rate usually includes a perk but the senior rate usually doesn't and they charge extra to add on perks when booking at a senior rate.

A workaround that some seniors use is always to book a future cruise while on board to get the free onboard credit. They just use any future date as a place holder.

That way, whenever they find a cruise they want to take, they can book at a senior rate and always have onboard credit that costs them nothing, in addition to already having the deposit paid for their next cruise.

That may not be a benefit to you if you always book after the final payment date and need to pay in full, but if you book before the final payment date, it allows you to hold a reservation with a lower deposit than you would otherwise need to pay.

Edited by varoo

No "expert" here (just a long time Celebrity customer) but if you just want to cancel and start over, I believe that you can cancel a reservation with no penalty and get all your money back if you do it within 24 hours of booking.

At least that was their policy in the past.

If that is what you want to do, I suggest calling them about it right away, while you are still within 24 hours of booking, to find out if that policy still applies. Good luck!

My own experience has been that the military discount rate usually includes a perk but the senior rate usually doesn't and they charge extra to add on perks when booking at a senior rate.

A workaround that some seniors use is always to book a future cruise while on board to get the free onboard credit. They just use any future date as a place holder.

That way, whenever they find a cruise they want to take, they can book at a senior rate and always have onboard credit that costs them nothing, in addition to already having the deposit paid for their next cruise.

That may not be a benefit to you if you always book after the final payment date and need to pay in full, but if you book before the final payment date, it allows you to hold a reservation with a lower deposit than you would otherwise need to pay.

I booked online, my 1st booking with Celebrity - but I definitely will start researching for future bookings just in case I do want to take advantage of it while onboard in November.

I am not a senior but my parents are, taking them on their 1st cruise. Honestly it isn't a bad deal with the comp Classic Drink Pkg for me. My parents don't drink - and Celebrity swore that:o they have access to complimentary beverages in dining room and in room. I just don't like "bait & switch," no one does. The fact that their website messed up wasn't my fault.

I will just focus on the good part - 75 days to a 5-day cruise in the much talked about Cabin 6143 on Infinity!

There are no complimentary beverages “in room” if you are referring to the minibar. Non alcoholic beverages (except sodas) are complimentary via room service if that is what you meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Must be what she meant - my parents are not much of a drinker of any kind. A tea/coffee here and there, water/juice and they'll be fine. I just don't want to drop $100+ on basic necessity of staying hydrated for them lol

Rule #1 - NEVER book online at =X='s website. With their IT reputation, nothing good can happen. I know, we are in 2018 and there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to book online.

I do a dummy booking, and then before clicking book it, call a representative and have them do it, confirm the "not" free perks, and send me a confirmation while I am still on the phone. It avoids most problems with a booking, and sometimes they know of a better rate (infrequent, but it has happened).

My $.02

Exactly...that's the way to do it..

And when you call, they sometimes have better cabins avaiable and other deals! They send the Confirmation as you soeak to them and can cortect anything that is not correct or agreed to.

........My parents don't drink - and Celebrity swore that:o they have access to complimentary beverages in dining room and in room.
The free beverages include coffee, both iced tea and hot tea (assorted kinds of teabags), hot chocolate packets, milk (various kinds), lemonade, fruit punch, juices at breakfast. Your parents should have no problem at all.

They should ask their stateroom attendant for an ice bucket and water pitcher for their cabin, which are refilled twice daily when they service the room (or at other times upon request).

By the way, we have frequently booked cruises online with no problem at all. Booked a couple that way just the other day. We find it is actually the quickest and easiest way to book, as you can do it at your own convenience with no need to call anyone.

If you book online, you can even change your cabin yourself online if one that you like better becomes available.

If you need help, you can always call and ask for help regardless of how you book, and you can later transfer the booking to a travel agent, if you wish to do so.

Not sure when the cruise departs but you may still have time to transfer the booking to an on line TA?

Not hard to find a few reputable sites and get a quote on both price and usually some very nice additional perks from the agency.

If you book online, you can even change your cabin yourself online if one that you like better becomes available.

If you need help, you can always call and ask for help regardless of how you book, and you can later transfer the booking to a travel agent, if you wish to do so.

I splurged on a Concierge Class cabin so hopefully getting a pitcher of water daily wouldn't be an issue. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity - why would someone transfer a booking to a TA? Are there benefits I'm not aware of?

Duly noted on the booking online thing - I mean I can't be too mad since I think I saved about $100 still than otherwise, plus I got the much talked about cabin.

Exactly what Helen said, travel agents will often add value to your cruise package. The value can come in many forms: prepaid gratuities, extra OBC, rebates, specialty dining perks, etc.

We are cruising in December. The TA not only confirmed Celebrity’s price (which was already pretty fantastic) and included the Classic Bev package but also threw in prepaid gratuities (almost $350/room) and on board credit ($325/room) making it a really fantastic deal for our 12 day cruise.

If you initially book via Celebrity you can transfer your reso one time only to a TA w/ in a certain time frame of booking (60 days maybe?) but once transferred you can not transfer your reservation back to Celebrity so it’s important to do your homework.

I’m not the most experienced w/ on line TA’s but I’ve read that many on line agencies are not really set up to do a lot of hand holding though I'm sure some are of course - there's no one size here. A lot of these agencies make money on volume so you sometimes need to know exactly what you want and what you’re doing. If someone needs a lot of advice and personal attention the big on line agencies or big box store travel services may not always be a perfect fit. Some people like to use the same TA every time they book for that relationship reason. I try to do a lot of my own homework and usually go with the best deal - very personal choice here.

If you are not sure where to start when it comes to TA’s try perusing the CC site and/or googling. When looking for a TA I usually start with a specific website that compares offers from multiple travel agencies (it’s not hard to find) and go from there. CC does not permit mention of specific TA sites nor is it permitted to private message CC users for that kind of info and I'm very respectful of that policy but again, google is your friend...

Hope you and your family have a wonderful trip!

You transfer a booking to a TA because you find one that gives you OBC or free grats or a specialty dining reservation or whatever.

I didn't know! I get to keep all my existing items on my booking with Celebrity(mainly the Classic Drink Pkg for me, and the CruiseCare), correct?

Didn't know about the policy about not mentioning TA - edited (oops). Ok, I have 75 days to see if I can find a TA.

I didn't know! I get to keep all my existing items on my booking with Celebrity(mainly the Classic Drink Pkg for me, and the CruiseCare), correct?

Didn't know about the policy about not mentioning TA - edited (oops). Ok, I have 75 days to see if I can find a TA.

Yes, you keep all the perks from your booking with Celebrity when transferring it to a TA. You just add...not subtract. It never hurts to call around and ask a TA what they will give you to transfer the booking.