Why is Princess far behind in posting itineraries?

amanda384

I love Princess and have only ever cruised with them (with the exception of a quick 4-day on RCL). But I don't understand why they are so far behind other lines in posting their itineraries for the coming year. Other lines are out long before. Does anyone know why they lag behind that way? Not a dealbreaker by any means, just an irritation! ;)

I'm far more familiar with another line...but they post when they have finalized port contracts for their cruises. That would seem like a sensible way for all cruise lines to operate--they know where they want to go, but until they nail down the contracts it would be silly to post cruises. The sad thing about that system is that negotiations with one or two ports can delay posting for the entire season. The more places a line has ships, the more difficult this could be.

Alternatively, the cruise line could post those cruises that have been finalized and leave the others that are pending.

When do you think they should have them out? Is there some requirement?

Princess has some of Spring 2020 out...HAL has all of Spring 2020 out...and that is early for HAL, this summer would have been normal.

No, there is obviously no requirement. I just noticed that RCL/Celebrity/Carnival have their schedules for 2020 and wondered why Princess takes longer.

Keep in mind that Princess has more ships sailing all over the world than many other lines. For instance, many more than RCI. So comparing when Princess releases itineraries vs. other, smaller lines is comparing apples and oranges.

No, there is obviously no requirement. I just noticed that RCL/Celebrity/Carnival have their schedules for 2020 and wondered why Princess takes longer.

Funny...a couple of years ago most everyone had their Summer (18 months out) schedule released by Jan 1. RCI didn't get theirs out until March. The screaming on the RCI board was very loud.

More recently, HAL was slow to release Med 2019 because of the Venice port issues...again loud screaming on on the HAL board from all the unemployed cruise line CEOs.

The schedules come out when they come out.

I agree with you, Amanda. They are lagging behind. But, there are those like HAL and Windstar that are even farther behind. I just wish Princess would mix up their itineraries a bit more. RCI is going back to Turkey. I wish Princess would too. They also need a regularly scheduled really good, true Greek Isles itinerary.