Whats current alcohol in luggage policy ?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:29 PM.
Hitchin, UK
507 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by phillipahain
Whats current Cunard policy on taking your own alcohol onboard please not seen anything about it lately
As much as you like.

andhow
Oakland, CA USA
1,757 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Agreed. As much as you like. We've taken many bottles of wine on board at the beginning and in ports. Others will probably respond with stories of lots of booze.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 34 Days
Crystal: 31 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
Princess: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,312 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by KandMB
Do you carry it on as hand luggage or pack in suitcases?
Carry on , hate it to smash in a suitcase.
20 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by KandMB
Do you carry it on as hand luggage or pack in suitcases?
We've always carried it on in our hand luggage - I'd hate to get separated from it!

The only other line which seems as relaxed on bringing wine on board seems to be P&O
Oakland, CA USA
1,757 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Either way, carry on or pack. However I worry about breakage if I pack, so I always carry on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 34 Days
Crystal: 31 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
Princess: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
Pennsylvania
5,635 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Simon-t
The only other line which seems as relaxed on bringing wine on board seems to be P&O
I was expecting to have to pay corkage on excess carry-on wine on HAL a few weeks ago and that check never occured.

I did pay corkage on 2 of 4 bottles consumed in the restaurant, however.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,312 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Interestingly a P&O thread mentions that it is believed that from The New Year They will apply their official guidelines to bringing Alcohol on board.
Perhaps Cunard may do the same . As someone already mentioned Laffers principle with the recently increased prices.
Mississauga, Canada
1,350 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by Underwatr
I was expecting to have to pay corkage on excess carry-on wine on HAL a few weeks ago and that check never occured.

I did pay corkage on 2 of 4 bottles consumed in the restaurant, however.
We boarded a HAL ship in Vancouver two years ago. I knew about their restrictive policy but I had no desire to bring on more than two bottles of bubbly anyway. At security, a woman looked at me as if I was a naughty school-child and said: "You have bottles in your hand luggage and you must go over to that desk." So I joined the short queue and the chap at that desk examined our bottles closely to make sure we were not bringing on prohibited alcohol, such as gin or scotch. Then notations were made on a list and I had to sign a form.

Thankfully Cunard does not put us through such childish manoeuvres.
Edinburgh, Scotland
1,630 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by david,Mississauga
We boarded a HAL ship in Vancouver two years ago. I knew about their restrictive policy but I had no desire to bring on more than two bottles of bubbly anyway. At security, a woman looked at me as if I was a naughty school-child and said: "You have bottles in your hand luggage and you must go over to that desk." So I joined the short queue and the chap at that desk examined our bottles closely to make sure we were not bringing on prohibited alcohol, such as gin or scotch. Then notations were made on a list and I had to sign a form.

Not yet.......
Irricana, Alberta
224 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by david,Mississauga

We sailed Celebrity out of Vancouver and had the same situation. However the table was so far from the security scanners, that we just walked by. No one follows you to make sure you report!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Caribbean Princess 11/05/2016 - Southern Caribbean
Crown Princess 01/22/2016 - Baja California
Celebrity Century 06/01/2014 - 06/8/2014 - Alaska
Brilliance of the Seas 11/16/13 - 11/23/13 - Western Caribbean
Adventure of the Seas 04/15/12 - 04/28/12 TA -San Juan To Malaga
Norwegian Star 11/13/11 - 11/20/11 Western Caribbean
Celebrity Solstice 10/10/10 - 10/17/10 Western Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/24/09 - 11/01/09 NY to San Juan
Mariner of the Seas 09/16/07 - 09/23/07 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Jewel 04/02/06 - 04/09/06 Western Caribbean
Preston England
288 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We always enjoy an afternoon Gin and Tonic on our balcony, we normally pack a bottle in a suitcase
(on a recent HAL cruise this was confiscated had to go and retrieve it from security three day before returning home ) though I don't remember taking it back home!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE2 Norway 2007
QM2 Caribbean 2009
QM2 TRANSATLANTIC 2010
QM2 Caribbean Oct 2010
Holland America Volendam Alaska August 2012
QV Part World Cruise Hong Kong to Southampton March 2013

Holland America Westerdam C. America/Panama March 2017
QV Western Med From Rome Sept 8th 2018

Peter & Barbara