Cancelling Standard Tips

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:27 AM.
898 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by NIRobin
How much do people tip the cabin stewards or is this in the auto tips
Invalided in the auto tips, but we tip extra if the steward goes over and above what is expected.
Sunderland England
4,647 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
It is included in auto tips but if you think an extra cash tip is warranted feel free to give extra.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
Cambridgeshire
2,526 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by CRUISIN LINDA
Oh for goodness sake! Why don't P&O just do the same as Thomson and include the tips in the price, then everyone pays their share. Simples
What, and have the P&O name disappear too, oui?

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess
OXFORD
6,783 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by john watson
What, and have the P&O name disappear too, oui?

Regards John
Non! John. But P&O is owned by Carnival, so who knows what the future holds? 😁😁
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thomson Celebrationx3, ThomsonDreamx3 ThomsonSpiritx2, Thomson Majestyx3, Thomson Discovery, Discovery 2, P&O Oceana x2, P&O Azura, P&O Oriana, Fred.Olsen Braemarx3, Crown Princess x2, Sea Princess, Celebrity Eclipse, Jewel of the Seas,Independence of the Seas, Ocean Village

OXFORD
6,783 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Actually Tui is German - Ja? 😁😁
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thomson Celebrationx3, ThomsonDreamx3 ThomsonSpiritx2, Thomson Majestyx3, Thomson Discovery, Discovery 2, P&O Oceana x2, P&O Azura, P&O Oriana, Fred.Olsen Braemarx3, Crown Princess x2, Sea Princess, Celebrity Eclipse, Jewel of the Seas,Independence of the Seas, Ocean Village

Stoke on Trent, England
4,931 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by insanemagnet
So the service was average, but you were glad you had tipped?

And that is why the automatic service charge is a terrible idea.
Oh good grief - just to translate our original post: No one was amazingly wonderful or was head and shoulders above everyone (as you sometimes get). Infact, everywhere we sat in the dining room the staff were all equally good. If we had cancelled the tips (as we had on Britannia) and not given them as we went along it would have been wrong. We were pleased that we had left them on on this occasion.

Can we please not turn a tipping thread in to an critical argument.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
Stoke on Trent, England
4,931 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by grapau27
It did seem a strange choice of words about being glad he left the tips on because the service was just okay.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
He's a she and have posted my response to this -- I should have said that everyone was good but no one outstanding so we were happy (hubby and I) to give them all a little something.

Hope that clarifies it all
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
Stoke on Trent, England
4,931 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
After all of the debates on here re cabin stewards I asked specific questions at the Reception desk about the cabin steward being able to keep the tip and if it was an autotip did they get it. They assured me that they did.

We also gave some additional tips because he was brilliant. We also left some extra in the envelope (in another envelope) for his 'helper' - the poor bloke who was carrying and fetching everything for him. Not sure the cabin steward liked it as he told me that he was 'Just his helper who fetched and carried things for him'. (His face said it all) In my eyes this lovely man (we saw often) was also helping us so we gave him a small tip.

I really don't think that you need to worry about how much --- it is up to you
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
Sunderland England
4,647 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Presto2
He's a she and have posted my response to this -- I should have said that everyone was good but no one outstanding so we were happy (hubby and I) to give them all a little something.

Hope that clarifies it all
Sorry for my mistake.
I always prepay and i agree service is always good but never outstanding.

RCI D+. Princess Elite.P&O Atlantic.
Stoke on Trent, England
4,931 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Sorry for my mistake.
I always prepay and i agree service is always good but never outstanding.

Sorry to be ratty .... hubby says its hormones or age . The tipping thread always brings out the worst in me

In the past we have had some outstanding service and just wanted to give additional and had requested the area of the dining room every evening so ended up paying auto tips and our own. This time everyone was good, but no one stood out. We were pleased that we had paid auto tips and did not give additional. If that makes any sense at all.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
898 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Sorry to be ratty .... hubby says its hormones or age . The tipping thread always brings out the worst in me

In the past we have had some outstanding service and just wanted to give additional and had requested the area of the dining room every evening so ended up paying auto tips and our own. This time everyone was good, but no one stood out. We were pleased that we had paid auto tips and did not give additional. If that makes any sense at all.

Makes absolute sense, and seems an entirely rational decision. Perhaps the thread can now be closed as everyone has been extremely civil, which is unusual on a tipping thread!
Sunderland England
4,647 Posts
Joined Dec 2016

Perfect sense.
The cruise line and the crew prefer that so i always leave autotips on.
Sometimes on tipping threads it doesn't matter what you say someone will pick fault and i ofren wonder why i bothered so i agree with you.

Devon, uk
1,689 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by wowzz
Makes absolute sense, and seems an entirely rational decision. Perhaps the thread can now be closed as everyone has been extremely civil, which is unusual on a tipping thread!
.....oooh...what a challenge!

But agreed! I never post on tipping threads normally....but I see I have on this one!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed on.....
P&O Arcadia (old) 2001. P&O Arcadia(new)2006. P&O Artemis 2007
Cunard QE2 2008. Cunard QV 2010. Cunard QM2 2011.
Cunard QE2013. P&O Azura 2014. P&O Azura 2015
P&O Arcadia 2015. P&O Oriana - May 2016
Riviera Travel Rhone River cruise September 2016
Adonia 2017

To come....
Fred Olsen Balmoral 2017
Northern Lights, Oriana, 2018
Eastern Med , Oriana 2018
91 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by CRUISIN LINDA
Actually Tui is German - Ja? 😁😁
Ja das ist korrekt. TUI's Headquarters are in both Berlin and Hannover.
TUI stands for "Touristik Union International".
As P&O are owned by Americans, Land Rover by Indians and our chip shop by a bloke from Cyprus I suppose it doesn't really matter much these days.
Cambridgeshire
2,526 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Potty Terracotta
Can you cancel the automatic tip charge on P&O ships if you are Anytime diners. We usually go fixed dining and you can vary tips on fixed but not sure about anytime dining. Info appreciated
Yes you can cancel them if you wish. It is possible to vary them too, to another amount at reception like £15.00 per person to save messing about with handing over extra cash in envelopes. It's much more efficient as you don't waste envelopes.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess
Sunderland England
4,647 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by john watson
Yes you can cancel them if you wish. It is possible to vary them too, to another amount at reception like £15.00 per person to save messing about with handing over extra cash in envelopes. It's much more efficient as you don't waste envelopes.

Regards John
To save paper RC stopped giving you paper vouchers for your prepaid gratuitys to hand out to the relevant crew.
Strangely it didn't stop them giving you envelopes to put additional tips into.

UK D+ member.
91 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
After all of the debates on here re cabin stewards I asked specific questions at the Reception desk about the cabin steward being able to keep the tip and if it was an autotip did they get it. They assured me that they did.

We also gave some additional tips because he was brilliant. We also left some extra in the envelope (in another envelope) for his 'helper' - the poor bloke who was carrying and fetching everything for him. Not sure the cabin steward liked it as he told me that he was 'Just his helper who fetched and carried things for him'. (His face said it all) In my eyes this lovely man (we saw often) was also helping us so we gave him a small tip.

Your cabin steward was probably miffed because (I've heard) it's not uncommon for them to "employ" crew members to help them out. The payment, I would assume, comes partially out of their tips.
Staffordshire
1,927 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
After all of the debates on here re cabin stewards I asked specific questions at the Reception desk about the cabin steward being able to keep the tip andif it was an autotip did they get it. They assured me that they did.

Funny when we had an awful cabin steward on Oriana but great waiters I asked at reception if we could cancel auto gratuity and just paid gratuities in cash to the waiters we were told that cabin steward would still get a share because they have to hand cash tips into P&O. There was no way you could exclude just the cabin steward unless you cancelled auto gratuity and gave waiters nothing in cash which is what we did not want to do. P&O suggested leave auto gratuities on and make a formal complaint about the cabin steward which is what we did.
Sunderland England
4,647 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by majortom10
Funny when we had an awful cabin steward on Oriana but great waiters I asked at reception if we could cancel auto gratuity and just paid gratuities in cash to the waiters we were told that cabin steward would still get a share because they have to hand cash tips into P&O. There was no way you could exclude just the cabin steward unless you cancelled auto gratuity and gave waiters nothing in cash which is what we did not want to do. P&O suggested leave auto gratuities on and make a formal complaint about the cabin steward which is what we did.
I think that is by far the best solution.

UK D+ member.
Sunderland England
4,647 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
I think that is by far the best solution.

UK D+ member.
Maybe ask his supervisor to change your cabin steward or failing that tell the cabin steward you will give him a rotten review if he doesn't improve.