Live from ms Nieuw Amsterdam 2018 June 30

bUU

Off we go!

Mostly photos to follow, though apparently not from the aircraft.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Enjoy! Im sure you won’t miss the humidity and rain we’ve been having in Georgia lately.

We look forward to sailing to Alaska again someday.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

Thanks so much for taking the time to start this thread.

I'm currently devouring any available info on Nieuw Amsterdam since booking my first HAL cruise on her for December, and will be following along keenly :D

Have a great trip!

We didn't feel like making a big deal about dinner. We found a food Court underground between Canada place and the Fairmont with loads of choices. This option needs a lot more attention here in the Pacific departures board. They even have some places open for breakfast before boarding.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Make no mistake: The Pan Pacific is very intentionally a moderate quality hotel with luxury hotel prices and pretensions. You know the kind of place: They're the ones that charge $4 for a liter of water (because they can). You are paying for the location so be sure that that advantage is something you value as much as we.

Some of the compromises are kind of silly, especially in the bathroom. A fancy rain shower head but not enough water pressure to display its potential. A bathroom sink and faucet that are both pretty but that aren't meant to be used together; as a result anyone with normal size hands doesn't have enough room to wash their hands. Finally, an intriguing bathroom door that actually closes of the toilet. Neat - but a simple pocket door would provide privacy for the toilet without taking it away from the shower.

One warning: Don't believe promises that staff offer claiming they will take things off the bill. If you really care, then insist that they do it right there and then and prove it. The staff seemed trained well to diffuse concerns, not necessarily resolve them.

Edited by bUU

So far the embarkation morning process has been well organized. There is a woman seated at a Holland America desk across the lobby from the front desk. She takes your room number and number of bags to be transferred, so threat bell services can collect them and get them onto the ship. She will be here from 8:30 until 10:30 after which she will walk us all down to the port. Alternatively, we could walk ourselves down to the port at 9:30.

There are three ships in port; check-in is separate but US immigration and customs is combined.

Pleasantly surprised... Our bags were picked up from our room at 9:10, before we even checked out.

Sorry but I just lost a pretty long post. I'll try again tomorrow.

Btw: Internet just switched to the unlimited three tier arrangement but the warnings people have posted about how crippled the service is did not do the problems justice.