What are the advantages of booking through a Travel Agent?

I just changed my cabin four times in the past 24 hours. Only I can do that for myself.

:)

You know all four cabins get to the ports at the same time.

But I know what you mean but once I find the cabin I like hoping it is within 60 days I transfer to a TA for the OBC,

I get the cabin I want and some OBC.

You should try to find a website where you can book a CRUISE where they COMPETE for your business. Your better off using a TA, you get extra obc for sure and some sites offer you the ability to view multiple prices and offers from different TA's. Try to find a website to book a "CRUISE" & "COMPETE" against others.

You should try to find a website where you can book a CRUISE where they COMPETE for your business. Your better off using a TA, you get extra obc for sure and some sites offer you the ability to view multiple prices and offers from different TA's. Try to find a website to book a "CRUISE" & "COMPETE" against others.

Thanks. Gonna give it a try and see where I get!

Lol...

Sent from my BlackBerry Dtek50

None as far as I can see. My TA did nothing but mess up our dining time, double charged insurance and booked our exchanges only one way. No extra perks or OBC. Yes she called and got adjoining rooms but I'm Pretty sure I could have done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm perfectly happy with my TA but I'm always looking for the best deal and he knows I shop around but always go back to him as he will match any offer. I get get good OBC and I've built a trusted relationship with him. I can literally reach him 24/7 via his personal cell phone. No matter how many times I change my mind, he never charges a cancellation or change fee. If there is a price drop, he will get it for me.

Free money!

For air travel, you get extra support. Say you have a connection, and your flight is running very late. Call up the TA, and ask them to monitor your arrival. If they see youll miss the connection, they can have you booked on something else before you land.

Versus having to wait to de-board, and go stand in line with 50 people at a customer service desk.

I've always booked direct...control issues. 10% OBC however could sway me to let someone else control my destiny. How do you transfer an existing booking to a TA? Do you just provide the reservation number?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=2004

We always give our clients OBC ranging in different prices depending on the type of room they book! We also make sure our clients are treated well with special gifts in their cabin especially if celebrating a special event while on board.

Make sure your TA is up to date on the latest sales, promotions or activities. Shop around! Build a relationship so that when you call your TA they already know your needs!

We generally get OBC to the amount of about 10% of the base cruise fare, plus prepaid gratuities, and specialty dining for two. We've never had a problem reserving our own dining, excursions, shows, etc. We also can easily make a change to the actual booking by simply calling the TA.

Wow that is some discount. I have usually gotten 8% and complimentary gratuities a few times. But have not gotten them for every booking. Have you gotten all these perks every cruise booked? If you have, i think there are a lot of people that want to know who are you using?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

You all are successful getting OBC with booking a Royal Caribbean cruise via a TA? We routinely book our Celebrity bookings via a TA, as he typically gives us better pricing and throws in an extra perk and some OBC. But Royal sailings?? Nope. Same price as Royal and no OBC or perks. Tell me your secrets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In general, TAs cannot charge less than what the cruise line charges. I think you might be looking in the wrong places with Celebrity. My TA always charges what I find from the website, and then throws in additional perks across the board, Carnival, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. This is usually on top of what the cruise line gives me. However, my TA has been known to find a discount offered that I miss (for example, I didn't click the state discount option, but she found it for me).

We always book ourselves, but maybe we should try a TA... any idea if we can book onboard, then find a TA later to transfer it to, and still get our onboard booking credit?

Yes, you would have 60 days after booking to transfer to a TA.

Advantages of using a Travel Agent (in my opinion/experience);

1. perks (a bottle of wine, chocolates for room) (sometimes);

2. expertise (cruise and airline sales, recommendations on hotels, etc. (my agent has figured out what I like and can make better choices for me than I do for myself));

3. handling problems (this is the most important to me; when I missed a flight and when I had to cancel and claim insurance and when a cruise line cancelled the travel agent rebooked a flight and handled all the paperwork for the trip insurance);

4. simple (send in what you want after doing your own research and the travel agent takes care of the booking).

We always book ourselves, but maybe we should try a TA... any idea if we can book onboard, then find a TA later to transfer it to, and still get our onboard booking credit?

Been there done that.

Edited by AmyJA

Over the years have progressed from big national travel agency to cruise only agency to several large online agencies. Have been with my current one for 10+ years. They give us free grats and usually a group credit. Also very important to us is their 24 hour customer service line. We don't normally need much hand-holding, but if something goes wrong I like having someone I can reach out to. Believe they will have more success dealing with cruise line than me.