New to NCL, disappointed

musicjunkie57

I'm curious, though, about all the stateroom issues. Did you speak with a housekeeping manager, to report the issues and ask for them to be corrected? Or did you just keep a list of the bad things to post on the forum here?

The things that were not working in the stateroom were reported, several times, and only a couple of them were fixed before the end of the cruise. I didn't notice how gross it was under the bed until I pulled my suitcase out the last day and did a check for anything I might have kicked under there, so I didn't report that.

I wonder if the menus are different for a cruise such as this....does anyone know?

Good question on the menus. I was shocked at how few people were eating in the main dining room. Specialty restaurants also seemed to have relatively few people dining there. Garden Cafe was always packed. I have never done the Freestyle thing before though, so didn't know what to expect there. Another factor may be that there were lots of shows going on and the Garden Cafe was faster.

We had a cruise booked on the Pearl in October which was canceled by NCL for a charter. We were looking forward to going on the Pearl again since we had such a great time the last time. Yikes, now I am glad we are not going.

I wonder along with some of the other posters if the food is different on charters as well. Happy sailing on your next cruise.

I recently read this article on NCL. https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/18566-nclh-2017-performance-driven-by-both-ticket-and-onboard-revenue.html

I think we were on the last of several back to back music cruise charters. I wonder if that is a huge strain on the staff...

I think this was key to the majority of the problems you experienced. The room cleanliness was likely an anomaly. But when a group behaves differently than the norm for the ship staff I think it can become overwhelming and food and service can go downhill. We unknowingly sailed a two week Iceland, uk Norway last year that was over half chartered with passengers from mainland China tour groups. The food in the mdr’s and buffet was pretty bad. Yes there’s been some cutbacks in speciality and included venues, but overall one should expect a minimum level of quality, taste and presentation in all venues and a step up from this for speciality. We’ve sailed Ncl several times and would definitely chalk up the dining issues to the partial charter situation that simply overwhelmed the food supply and kitchen staff. In your case I’d bet it was a similar situation of the tail end of weeks of charters. That said, I’m comfortable sailing Ncl and don’t expect my last dining experiences to be anything like my next sailing. If it was really that bad on a regular basis across the fleet they wouldn’t be able to stay in business. Normally you can get a good enough meal in any venue on an ncl ship.

Not that any explanation is likely to get you back onboard an ncl ship. We’re one and done with carnival due to experience we had. But just in case you contemplate another Ncl sailing I’d venture a guess your vacation would be better. The only thing I know about charters is that I’d prefer not to be on one.

Edited by littlelulu01

THE BLIND MEN AND THE ELEPHANT, A HINDOO FABLE.

It was six men of Indostan, to learning much inclined.

Who went to see the Elephant, though all of them were blind.

That each by observation might satisfy his mind.

The First approached the Elephant, and happening to fall

against his broad and sturdy side, and at once began to bawl.

"God bless me!—but the Elephant Is very like a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk, Cried "Ho!—what have we here

So very round and smooth and sharp, To me 't is mighty clear.

This wonder of an Elephant Is very like a spear!"

The Third approached the animal and happening to take.

The squirming trunk within his hands, Thus boldly up and spake.

"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out his eager hand and felt about the knee.

"What most this wondrous beast is like Is mighty plain," quoth he;

" 'T'is clear enough the Elephant Is very like a tree!"

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear, said: "E'en the blindest man

Can tell what this resembles most, deny the fact who can,

This marvel of an Elephant Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun about the beast to grope,

Than, seizing on the swinging tail that fell within his scope,

"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant iIs very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostan disputed loud and long,

Each in his own opinion exceeding stiff and strong,

Though each was partly in the right and all were in the wrong!

THE BLIND MEN AND THE ELEPHANT, A HINDOO FABLE.

It was six men of Indostan, to learning much inclined.

Who went to see the Elephant, though all of them were blind.

That each by observation might satisfy his mind.

The First approached the Elephant, and happening to fall

against his broad and sturdy side, and at once began to bawl.

"God bless me!—but the Elephant Is very like a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk, Cried "Ho!—what have we here

So very round and smooth and sharp, To me 't is mighty clear.

This wonder of an Elephant Is very like a spear!"

The Third approached the animal and happening to take.

The squirming trunk within his hands, Thus boldly up and spake.

"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out his eager hand and felt about the knee.

"What most this wondrous beast is like Is mighty plain," quoth he;

" 'T'is clear enough the Elephant Is very like a tree!"

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear, said: "E'en the blindest man

Can tell what this resembles most, deny the fact who can,

This marvel of an Elephant Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun about the beast to grope,

Than, seizing on the swinging tail that fell within his scope,

"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant iIs very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostan disputed loud and long,

Each in his own opinion exceeding stiff and strong,

Though each was partly in the right and all were in the wrong!

We need a “like” button on here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The food in the specialty restaurants on NCL are excellent, so prior to choosing a cruise we just compare the price of NCL with a dining package to another line without extra food since we've been happy with the regular food on all the lines we've sailed except NCL. From the reviews of our ship (we were on the Star, which is also an older ship) I just brought shampoo and would do so if sailing on NCL in the future. Our steward was excellent, and the staff was really helpful. My cell phone allows an international plan, so I don't buy internet on the ship and just use it in port. I'm sorry there were so many issues for you.

I have cruised on Cunard,Carnival,Celebrity ,Holland America and Royal Caribbean .A friend suggested that I try NCL.

I was on the GEM in 2013 and did not like it but was persuaded to try it again .This time I had the Cabin Steward from Hell. The only thing good on the ship was one of the lounge singers.

I decided to try the Breakaway and it was not any better.

I am sticking with RCI

Just curious what you are adding? You don't like NCL and are cruising RCL. I have cruised both NCL and RCCL and prefer NCL. I found nothing particularly good on RCCL.

You may have a point, but I’m not sure a music charter is anymore busier than a normal cruise. You go out on a cruise for x days, come back disembark, 5-6 hours later start with new guests and do it again.

I’ve been on regular cruises and music cruises and I do think they are busier. On the music cruises I’ve been on, the music plays at various venues around the ship and even until as late as 6 am every single night. I think the staff may just be exhausted from these extended hours and people roaming around during normally quiet hours possibly. Just an opinion from my personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been on regular cruises and music cruises and I do think they are busier. On the music cruises I’ve been on, the music plays at various venues around the ship and even until as late as 6 am every single night. I think the staff may just be exhausted from these extended hours and people roaming around during normally quiet hours possibly. Just an opinion from my personal experience.

Thanks, I’m sure now. I had no point of reference t base a judgment. I know I won’t be going on any charters or any cruises after a charter.