New to NCL, disappointed

musicjunkie57

Good question on the menus. I was shocked at how few people were eating in the main dining room. Specialty restaurants also seemed to have relatively few people dining there. Garden Cafe was always packed. I have never done the Freestyle thing before though, so didn't know what to expect there. Another factor may be that there were lots of shows going on and the Garden Cafe was faster.

so you are saying, there were only a few people eating in the MDRS? That would be a first unless you are basing this on people eating after 9pm? Usually one of the complaints is: the MDRs are too busy. Of course the buffets are busier, just like on every ship. am sure with all your cruising experience you know this.:rolleyes:

Hmm...it just occurred to me that the only time I was not happy with NCL cleanliness was after they had three charters in a row then a four day party cruise. It might have been those cruises took a toll on the housekeeping staff and also the resources and they were struggling to recover. Just wanted to add we have another NCL cruise planned this year as it is still my favorite after sailing Celebrity, RCCL and the now defunct Homelines.

HERE'S SOME PHOTOS -- admittedly not on NCL though !!

I have cruised on Royal Carribean, Celebrity, and Carnival in the past. I just went on a cruise on Norweigan. It was the Cayamo music cruise run by the Norweigan owned company Sixthman.

NCL owns Sixthman? When did that occur?

I've sailed a few NCL ships - and now limit myself to only the Epic or newer for reasons of personal preference (newer and more things to do/see). We'll be on the Escape in 6 short days!!

I went on a Sixthman cruise (on Carnival) in 2011 - the VH1 Best Cruise Ever 2. All I have to say was WOW... I'll sail on another of their cruises if they can ever pull off a lineup like they had then. It was worth it, even if the fares were (easily) DOUBLE regular rates!

Lifehouse:

Lifehouse%20Sailaway%204-XL.jpg

Train:

Train-XL.jpg

The Script:

The%20Script-XL.jpg

As an aside - one night I think we were the ONLY people in the dining room at 6 pm ! Here we are (well, Cheryl at least) and you can see a couple of staff people sitting down further down the way:

Dining%20Room%2C%20night%203-XL.jpg

Tom

You are probably right: she seems to be more interested in pushing RCI. I am never quite sure why these people bother to post these type of comments. :rolleyes:

To be fair the OP did come back and answer questions. A rare event for these type of threads to be sure. But, give the OP credit for returning.

We had pretty bad conditions on our Jewel trip to Alaska last year. These conditions were shared with our traveling companions in the cabin next door. The decks on our balconies was disintegrating, with sticky black adhesive exposed that, thankfully, wasn't as sticky in the colder Alaskan weather. The furniture in the cabins was badly faded, the carpet was faded, and had large stains. The TVs did not work well, with lots of "snow". Our friends had a TV remote with literally every number and letter worn off. There were numerous other issues that made us think the Jewel is the most neglected ships in the "Jewel Class".

Then we went on a cabin crawl, and the cabins on other decks were fine. The balcony decks were normal, the carpets newer and cleaner, furniture not faded and stained, etc. There was another cabin on the crawl on our deck, and it was just as bad as ours.

So sometimes even on the same ship you can have different conditions.

People exaggerate when they complain; I'm not sure how 1/2" of dust and trash could accumulate under beds. That's a lot of dust. So I think the OP looked under the bed and there was visible dust and a torn luggage tag or something along those lines. But, the OP could have gotten one of the cabins due for a refresh during their normal refresh cycle that, if I recall correctly, doesn't have anything to do with "dry dock". The dry dock schedule is mandated for hull maintenance and things like that.

We took a Celebrity cruise on one of the "most loved" ships, and our expectations were not met in food and service. We have rarely had sub-par food in the MDR on NCL that we weren't able to send back and get corrected quickly and with gracious service. And an empty MDR? I have never seen that on a Jewel class ship, and we eat anytime we feel like it from when they open until when they close.

People exaggerate when they complain; I'm not sure how 1/2" of dust and trash could accumulate under beds. That's a lot of dust. So I think the OP looked under the bed and there was visible dust and a torn luggage tag or something along those lines.

I admit 1/2" may be a slight exaggeration. But there was a measurable layer of fluffy dust bunny-ish stuff there. Trash was mostly small stuff... like a clear plastic top to a cosmetic container, little bits of paper and plastic. Still obviously not cleaned for a long period of time.

Thanks,

Just trying to see some of the aforementioned things the OP is talking about here. I know if I stayed somewhere that bad (and I had) I defiantly would have taken some pictures.

Honestly, never thought about doing that.

so you are saying, there were only a few people eating in the MDRS? That would be a first unless you are basing this on people eating after 9pm? Usually one of the complaints is: the MDRs are too busy. Of course the buffets are busier, just like on every ship. am sure with all your cruising experience you know this.:rolleyes:

Yes, even at 7pm only the tables near the windows in the Summer Palace were in use. The entire middle was empty. Indigo was closed for a private event for the entire cruise. The buffet had "grab and go" items and containers for you to take food out with you. I just got the feeling that no one wanted to take much time to eat.

Have never sailed Pearl but that is not the issue. No matter what line/ship we sail, if I found dirt etc under the bed, dirty mirrors and all of the issues raised by the OP, first call to Customer Service asking for the name of the Hotel Director.

I do not sail to live in bad conditions and in all of our cruises, have only had minor issues.

Food is another issue. I have not personally experienced decent food except with Azamara. Most lines to include RCC, Princess, Holland America and NCL have all declined in quality of food and customer service in our experience.

I laugh (or cry) when I think back to our first cruise in 2004 on Explorer of the Seas. They had a spectacular Chops and a seafood/Italian specialty Portofinos. Their seafood skewer was incredible. Many waiters per each table. I guess I would have to sail on the upscale lines for this same level of service. I for sure am not paying anything less for cruises right now so I know who is making profits :evilsmile:

We have a strategy to cruise less during any one year and book suites where we eat in specialty restaurants. I know this is not possible for many and we should not have to do this either.

Sorry for your negative NCL experience but I hope you have better sailings to come.

NCL owns Sixthman? When did that occur?

According to this, looks like 2012:

https://www.sixthman.net/history/#2012

I went on a Sixthman cruise (on Carnival) in 2011 - the VH1 Best Cruise Ever 2. All I have to say was WOW... I'll sail on another of their cruises if they can ever pull off a lineup like they had then. It was worth it, even if the fares were (easily) DOUBLE regular rates!

Yes, they are expensive. But it was worth it even considering the issues I had. Sixthman does a stellar job.

We had pretty bad conditions on our Jewel trip to Alaska last year. These conditions were shared with our traveling companions in the cabin next door. The decks on our balconies was disintegrating, with sticky black adhesive exposed that, thankfully, wasn't as sticky in the colder Alaskan weather. The furniture in the cabins was badly faded, the carpet was faded, and had large stains. The TVs did not work well, with lots of "snow". Our friends had a TV remote with literally every number and letter worn off. There were numerous other issues that made us think the Jewel is the most neglected ships in the "Jewel Class".

Then we went on a cabin crawl, and the cabins on other decks were fine. The balcony decks were normal, the carpets newer and cleaner, furniture not faded and stained, etc. There was another cabin on the crawl on our deck, and it was just as bad as ours.

So sometimes even on the same ship you can have different conditions.

People exaggerate when they complain; I'm not sure how 1/2" of dust and trash could accumulate under beds. That's a lot of dust. So I think the OP looked under the bed and there was visible dust and a torn luggage tag or something along those lines. But, the OP could have gotten one of the cabins due for a refresh during their normal refresh cycle that, if I recall correctly, doesn't have anything to do with "dry dock". The dry dock schedule is mandated for hull maintenance and things like that.

We took a Celebrity cruise on one of the "most loved" ships, and our expectations were not met in food and service. We have rarely had sub-par food in the MDR on NCL that we weren't able to send back and get corrected quickly and with gracious service. And an empty MDR? I have never seen that on a Jewel class ship, and we eat anytime we feel like it from when they open until when they close.

now your comments make sense; yes, one cabin can not be quite up to par for many reasons,espcially if it is close to time for refurbashing. This is true with most things,: I am glad you realized this. and yes, when someone is upset about something it is natural to over accent the negatives, but people should use common sense when doing this. Otherwise their comments are brushed aside. I am imagining this is what happened in the OPs case. I know most people who are posting here are blowing her comments out.

Yes, even at 7pm only the tables near the windows in the Summer Palace were in use. The entire middle was empty. Indigo was closed for a private event for the entire cruise. The buffet had "grab and go" items and containers for you to take food out with you. I just got the feeling that no one wanted to take much time to eat.

ok, let's say what you are commenting on is all true, even if it is over exaggerated, don't you honestly think it may have had to do with the type of cruise it was. No, the dust under the bed had nothing to do with the chartered cruise, but saying no one was eating in the MDRs or hardly anyone has something to do with the group. People have got to eat somewhere. If this is the case, why is one of the complaints about freestyle the waits for dinner?

I think it is safe to say, you have made your point, you are pro RCI and you will not be returning to NCl. Enough said.

Just like a new car loses value when you drive it off the lot, the Pearl loses value when NLH Arizona disembarks... ;)

I was also on the Pearl in December and noticed no problems. Everything looked clean, food was great and service perfect.

I have cruised several times on Royal Caribbean, Disney and am a Platinum member with Carnival. I just told my TA yesterday that I want to try NCL. He’s been encouraging me to cruise with them for awhile now.

My guess without ever cruising Norwegian is that charters can and will always throw service off. I was just catching up on a thread I’m subscribed to about cruisers being surprised by large charter groups on their cruises. There were WWE, bikers, college kids, a HUGE group of girls celebrating their quinceañera charters. Everything you can imagine. I had a high stakes black jack and bingo tournament charter 2 years ago but we were lucky and that charter worked in our favor as the public areas were empty during the days and the service was really good on that particular cruise.

But a charter doesn’t explain why your cabin was dirty. And I hope you spoke to guest services. And documented the issues. NOT to get anything free but to back up your issues.

Sorry your cruise didn’t go as planned. I have heard such great things about Norwegian.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums