Skagway AK excursion changed without notice

Sailin Gal

FYI for anyone going on the Legend to Alaska this summer, if you have already booked your excursions, double check your booking.

I had two in my party booked and prepaid for 'Glacier Lake Kayak and Scenic Rail Excursion', $235 each. I looked at my bookings today, and they have been changed to 'Glacier Lake Kayak and Scenic Drive', $179 each. I received no notice or credit from Carnival for this change, and those two were really looking forward to riding the train part of the way to the kayak destination. Both attempts to get help from Carnival by phone have resulted in long waits and then being disconnected.

I can understand that they may not have had their vendors and tour schedules solidified yet for the season, but it is really poor customer service to not refund the difference automatically when they move us to a less expensive excursion. I'm just glad I caught it before we sail, so the kids can check the excursions and see if they want to book something else instead.

Moral of the story: Buyer Beware and keep an eye on your booking and pre-paid activities. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Did you get the money back on your credit card, or did Carnival pull a Carnival and will put it on your sail and sign? Check your credit card statement.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I waited until I could confirm the refund.

So yes, I did get a credit, and it was back to the credit card I had made the purchase with. I emailed the excursion desk the evening I discovered the problem, and they promptly responded. The original excursion we booked was not going to be offered, so they had moved the guests booked on that excursion to the new version. We should have received an email notifying us of the change, and a credit back to the credit card for the difference. I suspect we fell though a technical hiccup crack originally.

The credit was back on my card within 5-7 days as promised by the excursion desk, and the kids decided to book the Haines kayak trip instead since the original one no longer included the train ride. So everyone is happy now, and I have to admit, I was pleased with the excursion desk's prompt resolution.

Would you please expound on that, what does the contract say in this regard?

I just read section 11 of the ticket contract ("Independent Contractors, Shore Excursions and other services") and it says nothing about shore excursions being changed without notice to the guest. We've had cruise-line booked shore excursions cancelled in the past and we were notified; we also had a pre-booked shore excursion placed on hold (and ultimately cancelled) and we were not notified until we boarded the ship.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I waited until I could confirm the refund.

So yes, I did get a credit, and it was back to the credit card I had made the purchase with. I emailed the excursion desk the evening I discovered the problem, and they promptly responded. The original excursion we booked was not going to be offered, so they had moved the guests booked on that excursion to the new version. We should have received an email notifying us of the change, and a credit back to the credit card for the difference. I suspect we fell though a technical hiccup crack originally.

The credit was back on my card within 5-7 days as promised by the excursion desk, and the kids decided to book the Haines kayak trip instead since the original one no longer included the train ride. So everyone is happy now, and I have to admit, I was pleased with the excursion desk's prompt resolution.

Glad to hear you got it worked out. I've done the White Pass Summit Excursion (train ride) twice, and highly recommend you do this train excursion if possible. It is so worthwhile. The scenery is amazing and you learn a lot about the gold rush.