Phone over WIFI on Rotterdam

AKJonesy

If I could hear from anyone who has actually done this I would appreciate it. I need to be in constant contact with my parents back in FL so I am trying to ready myself for how to use my phone over the WIFI on board the ship on sea days and not in port.

I know there will be some apps not supported; like Skype, but what about calling through "What's App"? Is that supported?

It would seem this can be done if I am reading various posts. Can someone give me some kind of instruction on this so I know what to do in advance and what I need to do on the ship?

you might want to consider using Txt messages as your first means of contact. For example, Verizon is 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive. Wouldn't allow extensive conversations but should be fine for "all is well" or "call me". That would allow you to reserve you expensive calling for when it's truly necessary.

you might want to consider using Txt messages as your first means of contact. For example, Verizon is 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive. Wouldn't allow extensive conversations but should be fine for "all is well" or "call me". That would allow you to reserve you expensive calling for when it's truly necessary.

Parents who are 90 do not text or even have a smart phone, so I need the ability to call. I know it can be done, but I don't know if What's App is supported or others.

You might find this article somewhat useful.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752

Looks like you'll have to purchase an internet package as a minimum.

More information in the links at the bottom of the page.

Yes, I read that and it only has a vague response as to how it was done across the cruiseline industry. Yes, I figure I will have to purchase an internet package. Am hoping for someone on a HAL current or former cruise has done this.

When I was on the Rotterdam last month I had my phone in Airplane mode, but with internet calling enabled. I was connected to the ship's wifi and to my surprise, my dad was able to call me. I tried it a couple of times when I couldn't connect with him on land and calls went through. My bill from my cell phone provider was normal - no huge charges.

Edit to add: We were always in port when this happened, so Cellular at Sea was off and I had a signal. The one that surprised me was the one where Airplane mode was on.

When I was on the Rotterdam last month I had my phone in Airplane mode, but with internet calling enabled. I was connected to the ship's wifi and to my surprise, my dad was able to call me. I tried it a couple of times when I couldn't connect with him on land and calls went through. My bill from my cell phone provider was normal - no huge charges.

What is the internet called on HAL that you had to sign into? Just wanting to try and dot and the I's.

I know there will be some apps not supported; like Skype, but what about calling through "What's App"? Is that supported?
If the Rotterdam has switched to the unlimited pricing plans by the time of your cruise the Premium tier supports "audio/video" calling, which I presume means Skype will work. See

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56714022&postcount=16

Edit to add: We were always in port when this happened, so Cellular at Sea was off and I had a signal. The one that surprised me was the one where Airplane mode was on.

I've always been able to use "Hangouts" over port WIFI, Starbucks, etc. for phone calls everywhere and it's worked great. It's when I'm on those SEA Days that I am concerned.

If the Rotterdam has switched to the unlimited pricing plans by the time of your cruise the Premium tier supports "audio/video" calling, which I presume means Skype will work. See

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56714022&postcount=16

Depending on the circumstances, I might have to go Premium. I mean, if that's what it takes for piece of mind, then that's what it takes. Thanks for that link.

I read somewhere SKYPE is not supported, so I'd probably be looking to use Adroid's "Hangouts" app which works great everywhere on land in WiFI cafes, etc. . What I think I'm getting here is that depending on the IP Address, SOME apps are not supported. I'm not teckie enough. I guess I might also have to consider using a Sat phone, but geez, I don't want to get into that. They don't always work either...there are dead areas.

What is the internet called on HAL that you had to sign into? Just wanting to try and dot and the I's.

Just Rotterdam_guest, I believe. There weren't many choices.

Your idea for skype or hangouts is a good one. I will be wanting to connect and check in with a 90 year old parent next summer.

Just Rotterdam_guest, I believe. There weren't many choices.

Your idea for skype or hangouts is a good one. I will be wanting to connect and check in with a 90 year old parent next summer.

Debbie, Hangouts has always worked for me. I have a Nexus 7 tablet with Google Voice and I could call and receive calls anywhere I had a WIFI. For my kids, using text was easier and faster, but with the folks, that's a different story. I'm thinking I should be able to use Android's Hangouts using my Nexus 7 on the ship using their WIFI (that I pay for).

Have you considered getting your folks a cell phone, along with a cradle for it that connects it to their home phone wiring? That way, you can use a wifi calling app for your phone, and they should be able to use their home phone as usual.

I haven't done this, but I think all the pieces are available, and aren't very expensive (save, perhaps, the cell phone at their end).

Good luck!

Have you considered getting your folks a cell phone, along with a cradle for it that connects it to their home phone wiring? That way, you can use a wifi calling app for your phone, and they should be able to use their home phone as usual.

I haven't done this, but I think all the pieces are available, and aren't very expensive (save, perhaps, the cell phone at their end).

----------------------------------

You might be aware of a senior cell phone called Jitterbug? I call it a senior phone because it is very simple. They could not press two buttons in a row to make a call, so I discontinued the service. I even had it set up so they connected directly to the operator, but parents could not even tell them to "Call David's Cell Phone" versus "Call David's Home Phone" - good grief.

I was on Rotterdam for the Voyage of the Vikings. I had the top tier unlimited internet plan and I was able to use What's App and the Vonage app at times. Sometimes the connection was poor and the call would not go thru. Late at night, early in the morning, or in port were the best times.

Another note is that T-Mobile has inexpensive calling from many countries, as well as unlimited texting and data. I was also able to use T-Mobile data to call using both What's App and the Vonage app with no additional cost.

If I could hear from anyone who has actually done this I would appreciate it. I need to be in constant contact with my parents back in FL so I am trying to ready myself for how to use my phone over the WIFI on board the ship on sea days and not in port.

Are there any close friends or neighbors who could assist your relatives? Or, who you could contact to ensure things are going well? Yes, I appreciate you'd rather not get others involved but it might be a better option.

Are there any close friends or neighbors who could assist your relatives? Or, who you could contact to ensure things are going well? Yes, I appreciate you'd rather not get others involved but it might be a better option.

Oh Yes! I have other people involved, and I have to do that because I live in Alaska and they live in Florida. So, I have a Senior Care Advocate. But, parents tend to ask for help from people who are just like them. I can't tell you how many times I've written out instructions on what to do, how to do, etc. They never seem to do what they are instructed to do, and that has to do with their failing memories, etc.

I was on Rotterdam for the Voyage of the Vikings. I had the top tier unlimited internet plan and I was able to use What's App and the Vonage app at times. Sometimes the connection was poor and the call would not go thru. Late at night, early in the morning, or in port were the best times.

Another note is that T-Mobile has inexpensive calling from many countries, as well as unlimited texting and data. I was also able to use T-Mobile data to call using both What's App and the Vonage app with no additional cost.

This is good to know. This was my assumption and even the Tech Dept at HAL cannot answer the question, so I am glad to connect with people like you who have actually done this.

Last October on the crossing from Italy to Miami on the Westerdam I used wifi calling with no problem. I have Metro/T-Mobile. I bought the middle internet package. Only cost was for the internet.

Yes, it is those SEA DAYS that I am worried about. I can use my APP on shore over WIFI, but didn't know how it all worked out on the ship. I am getting more confident after reaching out and your responses are giving me piece of mind. The chips will fall where they fall, but I have this person called "Murphy" (Murphy's Law) that seems to follow me wherever I go. :)

As long as your carrier and phone support IP calling, you shouldn't have a problem on the middle plan. It will act like a regular phone. Just put your phone into airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. Connect to the ship's internet normally and you should be good to go.

A couple of caveats: There's a pretty good chance that your internet account will have an expiring lease. That means it will time out after a certain period of inactivity. Your phone may be set to turn off WiFi during sleep mode unless it's plugged in. (This is the default in most cases to save battery life.) Look at your phone's advanced WiFi settings to see where you can toggle this.

And finally... Test this at home to make sure you can get it to work. (Airplane mode On, then WiFi On.) Otherwise, you'll never know if any problems are on your end of the ship's.

We were on the Rotterdam in March and they still had the by-the-minute internet. We used Skype to make calls and it worked fine. We were on the Westerdam last November and they had the 3-tiered type of internet. We selected the premium level and Skype worked perfectly, even in the middle of the Atlantic. You just have to setup a Skype account and put $10 or $20 on it. Because HAL uses Carnival's internet system in Miami, when you log into the internet, your computer (and Skype) thinks you are in Miami. So any call made is considered domestic and charged on their 2 cents per minute rate. The person you are calling does not need to have Skype or even a computer. You can call landline phones and it works perfectly. We keep in contact with the kennel who is boarding our dog, just to check up on him.

Oh Yes! I have other people involved, and I have to do that because I live in Alaska and they live in Florida. So, I have a Senior Care Advocate. But, parents tend to ask for help from people who are just like them. I can't tell you how many times I've written out instructions on what to do, how to do, etc. They never seem to do what they are instructed to do, and that has to do with their failing memories, etc.

I do feel for you.