I am worried.....

misha1

Absolutely agree!

I think many people's tastes have been dumbed down by the fast food/chain restaurants that serve up chicken nuggets served so many ways. Many people just have no tolerance for different foods/textures...

t You said you ate all your meals in the MDR. With so many choices I have to wonder why?

Because I don't think it should be necessary to pay extra for a decent meal (AKA specialty restaurant), to be quite honest. I've never found it necessary on another ship. The "free" food has always been great. On the Sun, the only other free options are the buffet and the sports bar (after 5:30pm only, limited menu, mostly appetizers. I attempted to eat there once, but after 45 minutes of waiting for my food, I grew frustrated and retreated the the MDR).

Due to unsanitary things I observed, I avoided the buffet.

So, note to self, if on the Sun again, expect to pay extra for a decent meal.

Because I don't think it should be necessary to pay extra for a decent meal (AKA specialty restaurant), to be quite honest. I've never found it necessary on another ship. The "free" food has always been great. On the Sun, the only other free options are the buffet and the sports bar (after 5:30pm only, limited menu, mostly appetizers. I attempted to eat there once, but after 45 minutes of waiting for my food, I grew frustrated and retreated the the MDR).

Due to unsanitary things I observed, I avoided the buffet.

So, note to self, if on the Sun again, expect to pay extra for a decent meal.

I’m with you, if I’m going to pay for a meal on a cruise it will be at the ports. I’m sure some of the specialty restaurants are good too but I’ve always been more than happy with the food that’s included

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m with you, if I’m going to pay for a meal on a cruise it will be at the ports. I’m sure some of the specialty restaurants are good too but I’ve always been more than happy with the food that’s included

If you are totally happy with eating in the MDRs and other free establishments that is fine, but if you are totally critical of the food on a ship and yet, have never tried anything else except free that is a slightly different story. To me, it also depends on the price I am paying and the type of cabin If I am going dirt cheap, I would be more willing to try the specialty dining rooms. If I am staying in say, a suite, I might choose to spend any extra money somewhere other than in a restaurant.

This is call CruiseCritic for a reason, people come here to point out everything wrong with Cruises, otherwise it would be called CruiseCompliment!

I certainly hope that you made this point using the SARCASM font.

This is call CruiseCritic for a reason, people come here to point out everything wrong with Cruises, otherwise it would be called CruiseCompliment!

I completely agree, all the years i have been here, i have seen cruise critic go from a place where you get information, give honest criticism on your recent cruises, learn from others experiences to a place where we seem to be defending ourselves from cheerleader pom poms...I for one have only cruise NCL, not because i have anything against other cruise lines, but because of comfort and itineraries. We enjoy the freestyle, and the idea of wearing casual clothes without the constant use of suit and tie is appealing to us...We have done that in our lifetime and we want our cruises to be relaxing, does not mean eventually we wont go on other cruise lines but for now NCL does it for us. I also have to say, that we have been to luxury eating establishments, where the food is what i expect, delicious and mind blowing. I find that NCL has decent food, that does what i expected to do, crave my hunger and just enjoy the moment. Is it le Cirque in New york or the Inn at little washington or michelin star place? no it is not, but is anything but mediocre. IMHO...

Keith is correct.

My only comment is that NCL uses too much salt, but that is based on personal taste.

Echo those feelings and Keith has a great point well made,

The salt is very much down to the Chefs culture in my view

Echo those feelings and Keith has a great point well made,

The salt is very much down to the Chefs culture in my view

Yes, the salt issue is very personal. I happen to be old fashion and think most things are better with a salt shaker in each hand, but I know fewer and fewer people are depending on salt for flavoring their foods. I have never noticed NCL food being salty.

Yes, the salt issue is very personal. I happen to be old fashion and think most things are better with a salt shaker in each hand, but I know fewer and fewer people are depending on salt for flavoring their foods. I have never noticed NCL food being salty.

It's an odd one. I never ever add salt to my food from a shaker, and at home we cook with it as little as possible. I don't particularly like the taste of salt.

I don't recall ever eating a meal on an NCL ship and being struck by it being particularly salty, but I often read on here about how salty the food is.

Another one of those "food is subjective" things I suppose. :)

Bad news always travels fast - but it's not always accurate. I was on the Jade in December and it was the first time for my DH and he can be critical. He was delighted with food service. You have choices - explore them. Come back and review your original post and see who was right and let us know.

We just got off the NCL Jade. The service was terrific in all areas of the ship.

The food was pretty similar to every other cruise ship we have been on -- the buffets are an assortment of food (some you will like and some you will not). The two main dining rooms have a nice selection and very good food. The specialty restaurants have some really excellent dishes. My kids loved the crepes on the buffet and ate at least one every night of the cruise (even if they had just eaten dinner in some other restaurant). The food at Teppanyaki was delicious and the food at Le Bistro was one of the best things I have ever eaten anywhere. Yes, there were things I didn't like (I do get tired of the lack of dessert choices - although O'Sheehans had apple pie with ice cream!), but overall the food was great.

We just got off the NCL Jade. The service was terrific in all areas of the ship.

The food was pretty similar to every other cruise ship we have been on -- the buffets are an assortment of food (some you will like and some you will not). The two main dining rooms have a nice selection and very good food. The specialty restaurants have some really excellent dishes. My kids loved the crepes on the buffet and ate at least one every night of the cruise (even if they had just eaten dinner in some other restaurant). The food at Teppanyaki was delicious and the food at Le Bistro was one of the best things I have ever eaten anywhere. Yes, there were things I didn't like (I do get tired of the lack of dessert choices - although O'Sheehans had apple pie with ice cream!), but overall the food was great.

If you're a meat eater, next time try Moderno Churrascaria.

Fantastic food and service.

I've always preferred NCL and I'll be on the Breakaway in November.

Sent from my XT1565 using Forums mobile app

wow long thread and just got the end of it. MISHA1 and myself and DW are in same boat (so to speak) .weve also did the last 5 cruises on Celebrity and even though nice we just need to change it up. Seems like Norwegian would be a good fit. We are not super fussy people. Pretty easy going and find it hard to beleive food on NCL would be bad. Maybe some people just have had a bad experience. I will remain optomistic. Cruise is on Epic in November. I agree with all that food is subjective..

MISHA1 I hope you write in after your cruise and share your expeience.

Happy Cruising!

Good morning fellow cruisers! DH and I are new to NCL, doing the majority of our sailings on Celebrity. I have been scouring the CC NCL threads for tips and reviews and I have noticed an unpleasant theme. Many people comment on the service and food, especially in the MDR as being mediocre to poor. While I am aware of differences in opinions, I cannot help but be worried as food and service is high on my list of cruise priorities. Surely NCL would not continue to be able to build multi million dollar products without some redeeming qualities. And please don't tell me to go back to Celebrity. I am not bashing the NCL product...my next 2 cruises our in Jewel and Bliss...I am just a bit perplexed as to how so many have poor experiences with dining. Perhaps they are the only vocal ones?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP, I have sailed NCL Getaway and Escape in the last two years and loved the food (I realize your sailings are on different ships.). Looking forward to my upcoming cruise on Getaway again!

I have also sailed Celebrity Solstice and Silhouette and loved the food!

Someone recently posted a wonderful Menu and Food Pictures review from their recent NCL Escape sailing. Check it out. While not your ship (and you won't be able to taste the food, of course) it'll give you an idea of choices available, presentation etc.

Here's the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2644046&highlight=food

Welcome to NCL!

We have been on ~12 NCL cruises and we have been pleased. Our last trip was December on Getaway and I took quite a few pics of menus and food if it’s helpful. We aren’t big buffet people- we prefer the restaurants - and honestly- it’s been a very good experience. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/

Now I will say we did one Oceania cruise as well and that was best ship food we’d ever had. ;)