Chances for free upgrade?

hal lover

On my last cruise I became a 4 star mariner! I am considering another cruise in November and I am just curious and wanted your imput.

Do you think I would even be considered for a free upgrade from an inside to a oceanview? My last cruise I was offered a pay for upgrade but I am trying to not have to pay for it this time. I did purchase the upgrade last time and I was soooo pleased! Just curious....

Cruising solo is really a pricey ordeal!

On an INSIDE guarantee booking, an upgrade to an OV is always a remote possibility. We had one on Ryndam many years ago, a 10 night Sea of Cortez cruise in April. We booked within the last 3 weeks; booked an N guarantee and we got our room assignment at the pier, an OV midship A-deck. We were one star mariners then and booked through a TA. That's about all I can tell you, it was a one-time miracle and many years ago. m--

In my experience, booking guarantee cabins gives you the best chance for free upgrades. The one time we booked an inside cabin (and booked guarantee) we did in fact get upgraded to an unobstructed ocean view. We booked early and were 3-star then.

When we have booked a specific cabin we have only gotten offers to pay extra for an upgrade.

Hard to say for certain whether or not you will get a free upgrade, but remember that HAL seems to be pushing paid upgrades (why not, if they can get someone to pay a bit more rather than just give it away for free) more than in the past.

Hard to say for certain whether or not you will get a free upgrade, but remember that HAL seems to be pushing paid upgrades (why not, if they can get someone to pay a bit more rather than just give it away for free) more than in the past.

I agree. I'll never forget the time (we had a guarantee) HAL sent numerous upsell offers. We turned them all down, and then got upgraded free to the same cabin category they were offering anyway. But that was 9 years ago.

In my experience, booking guarantee cabins gives you the best chance for free upgrades. The one time we booked an inside cabin (and booked guarantee) we did in fact get upgraded to an unobstructed ocean view. We booked early and were 3-star then.

When we have booked a specific cabin we have only gotten offers to pay extra for an upgrade.

Ditto. On 9 guarantees we got a free upgrade every time. On 11 specific cabin bookings we got only one upsell offer. However, none of our gty were for Insides, and only once did we move from an OV to a balcony. All our gty were booked about 9 or 10 months out, and I believe that helps more than booking closer to sail date.

We have always booked GUARs and have never been assigned what we booked.

Usually a few categories up, like MM to K; M to I or J; HH to D, F, C, EE, DD. Have had several insides to outsides, such as to H, G, FF, E, DA.

OP: if you want an upgrade, book a GUAR as your best bet.

I have read here where people who had done only 1 cruise on HAL got an upgrade.
My DB/DSiL got an upgrade on their first HAL cruise from an obstructed OV to a balcony. I did their booking, and we also got an upgrade - but ours was better.

I think that I used all my upgrade luck up at once. A few years ago I booked an ocean view cabin on a three day cruise to no where out of Vancouver. I was traveling solo and just needed a easy get away. HA contacted me saying they had oversold the cruise and offered to bump me to a 7 day Alaska return out of Vancouver same category and for the same price. I gladly said yes....it was one of my best vacations :)

First HAL cruise booked a VA. Paid a piddly amount to upgrade to a SY. HAL, at that time also offered me an SB for quite a bit more money.

The morning before our flights I had an email from HAL to reprint my luggage tags and boarding passes.

Oh yes.. a free upgrade to an SB! Whoohooo!

Now that I'm two days away from 3*..nothing, zilch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked an assigned OV a year and a half in advance for our Volendam Alaska cruise in July. All three couples traveling together booked the same category. Two of us were upgraded to Vista Suite balconies at check in. This was our first cruise with HAL and the other couple's third.

We were going on our 2d HAL cruise after Alaska. Westerdam Fl to LA. booked air and transfers in FL with HAL.Were upgraded to a mini suite two doors from the outside elevator on the port side. We really like the upgrade. Had booked a balcony so the upgrade to the mini suite was great.