Mykonos. Have U docked or tendered?

jacketwatch

Our cruise was listed as a tender stop. But at dinner the night before the Captain announced that they were heading to the port ASAP as a dock space was available for one ship. So not only did we dock, but they allowed guests and crew off the ship at 11:00PM+/- the night before our scheduled arrival. They had pay shuttles at the dock to take guests to town.

Can be either, and your pre cruise info is liable to be changed at the last minute.

If you dock,you'll be a rather far walk from town and will have to pay for a shuttle or taxi to get to town.

If you tender, the tender brings you right to the center of the town,

Good points and bad points to each.

The advisor is right in telling you not to count on either situation.

My advisor at Celebrity said its possible the ship (Equinox) would dock even though it's listed as a tendered port. What has been your experience?

Dock space is very limited... But while on Equinox in October 2009 [it was her first visit to Mykonos], we arrived early--so much so that some, including officers and crew partied all night--and did snag a dock when we had been scheduled to tender...

I don't recall if there was a fee associated with them but Celebrity did run shuttles between the pier and town...

Our cruise was listed as a tender stop. But at dinner the night before the Captain announced that they were heading to the port ASAP as a dock space was available for one ship. So not only did we dock, but they allowed guests and crew off the ship at 11:00PM+/- the night before our scheduled arrival. They had pay shuttles at the dock to take guests to town.

What ship was this? Recently? Immigration control not an issue? Sounds great. We have always tendered. I assumed it was because they were not able to handle a cruise ship. It's been a few years since we were there tho.:(

That's so cool. Hope that happens to me next Sept.

That this was the same cruise I mentioned above... It was an Ancient Empires sailing on Equinox that departed Rome on 26 September 2009...

I think they only have space for one ship to dock. Last summer, we docked on Solstice, but there was a Princess ship there the same day that was tendering. Probably just depends who gets there first. The Celebrity shuttle was $10pp and you could take it back and forth to town as many times as you wanted. If you were booked on a ship sponsored excursion, I believe most ended in town and the dock shuttle was included in the price.

Three years ago on the Solstice, we tendered. On the Silhouette last fall, we docked while about five other ships tendered. Some of the ships that tendered were already there and one or two arrived after we docked. I suspect it's something more pre-planned than "first come first served." I would have preferred to tender due to it being a very quick tender that lets you off right in the middle of town. The bus arrangement was a bit awkward and required quite a bit of walking to get to/from where they stopped.

Hope for Tenders. As others have said, the dock is a fair distance from town (walkable, but long) and they charge $10 for an all day pass on the shuttle busses that let you off at the (wrong) edge of town so you still have a reasonable walk.

June 2011 on Equinox it was listed as a tender port but the night before the Captain said he had secured dock space. Yes, the shuttle was $10 pp, unlimited trips to town and back, yes we still had a walk that was not terrible from the shuttle stop. One note, there are not a lot of taxis in Mykonos and the road you have to walk on is long and narrow, no sidewalks to speak of so we opted for the shuttle.

If you are on the Equinox Oct. 15 sailing, in Mykonos on Oct. 23,there are far more than one ship in with you. But you are potentially the earliest arrival, so might get the dock space. You competition might be Pullmantur's Zenith, listed for 0800-2000 and listed as docking. Others are Aegean Odyssey. 1400-2300; Orient Queen 1530-2300; Splendour of the Seas 1300-2200.

We were there on Nieuw Amsterdam in May and we docked, the only other ship arriving after noon. EM

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingmykonosgreece-23oct2012.html

We visited Mykonos while on the NCL Gem in July 2010 by tender. The tenders dropped us off at the dock right in the town area, very convenient. We saw another ship docked about a mile away from the town.

In the case, it appeared to me that tendering actually worked out better than docking.

I was on the NCL Jade in Mykonos last month. We were listed as a tender, but ended up docking. However, they had no idea until we got there if it was going to be docked or not. It was assumed that we would be tendered until the morning we got there. We had free shuttles to and from the main town. There were a lot of them and they ran frequently. We did our own thing and got to and from the ship easily. I was kind of glad we didn't tender because the winds were very strong in the afternoon. I am sure the tender situation was rough for the other two ships in port that day.

As noted and implied by others, so much in Mykonos depends on how many others ships will be in port that day. On our Sunday, mid June, 2006, visit to this beautiful island, we were docked and lucky as there was just our ship and another smaller one in port that day. It made things much more enjoyable than being their with four or five larger mega ships flooding the island. Not as much fun there when battling the mobs. As shown below in my pictures, the main village is very quaint, small and charming. If possible, you might rent a car and go see some of the beach areas. See below as "evidence" for why we loved those areas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,695 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers. The second picture is from Elia Beach.:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

If you are on the Equinox Oct. 15 sailing, in Mykonos on Oct. 23,there are far more than one ship in with you. But you are potentially the earliest arrival, so might get the dock space. You competition might be Pullmantur's Zenith, listed for 0800-2000 and listed as docking. Others are Aegean Odyssey. 1400-2300; Orient Queen 1530-2300; Splendour of the Seas 1300-2200.

We were there on Nieuw Amsterdam in May and we docked, the only other ship arriving after noon. EM

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingmykonosgreece-23oct2012.html

Thats the one we are on and thanks for that link. The website I used for ships in port showed only one other ship, the Splendour. :)

As noted and implied by others, so much in Mykonos depends on how many others ships will be in port that day. On our Sunday, mid June, 2006, visit to this beautiful island, we were docked and lucky as there was just our ship and another smaller one in port that day. It made things much more enjoyable than being their with four or five larger mega ships flooding the island. Not as much fun there when battling the mobs. As shown below in my pictures, the main village is very quaint, small and charming. If possible, you might rent a car and go see some of the beach areas. See below as "evidence" for why we loved those areas.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,695 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers. The second picture is from Elia Beach.:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Thank you Terry. Your pics are sharp and crisp. I enjoy them like everyone else here does. :)

We visited Mykonos while on the NCL Gem in July 2010 by tender. The tenders dropped us off at the dock right in the town area, very convenient. We saw another ship docked about a mile away from the town.

In the case, it appeared to me that tendering actually worked out better than docking.

Well we have to wait and see. Sometimes if you can't dock you can't tender either due to rough seas. Thanks! :)

Thank you Terry. Your pics are sharp and crisp. I enjoy them like everyone else here does. :)

Appreciate the super kind comments by our friend from the Chicago area. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments. Taking pictures in Mykonos is such fun as it is so beautiful, interesting and charming.

Appreciate the super kind comments by our friend from the Chicago area. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments. Taking pictures in Mykonos is such fun as it is so beautiful, interesting and charming.

I sure got a huge :D out of that. Thanks!

Cheers, Larry

BTW what type of camera do you use, DSLR?

Archived