Dock Workers Strike

jdyer09

Dock Workers strike news articles have been appearing everywhere. Through reading most of them it seems they cover only cargo in 14 ports, but some are saying with a union lockout it could effect passenger ships. Does anyone know or have any insignt about this? We are cruising in February and I would hate to lose our trip to this. They are supposed to be meeting on the 30th, but does anyone know for sure if cruise passengers are or are not affected by this?

If it's a strike, it's not supposed to affect cruise passengers. If it's a lockout, nobody will be allowed at the docks and it will affect all ships. We sail in 16 days, so we're keeping an eye on this. If it's a lockout, it will affect ports from Maine to Texas!! So that will affect almost every cruise leaving from the U.S. (only California won't be affected). Right now, it's wait and see.

Lets hope the lesser prevails and we only get a strike. I found this on the NY Times. It specifically states Houston, but I wonder if that is the ship channel or if Galveston, where we are set to cruise from, is in cluded.

“The last thing the nation needs right now is a strike that would shut down the East Coast and Gulf Coast ports,” said Jonathan Gold, the National Retail Federation’s vice president for supply chain policy. “This will have a huge ripple effect throughout the economy.”

The 14 ports threatened with a strike — including Boston; New York-New Jersey; Baltimore; Charleston, S.C.; Savannah, Ga.; Miami; and Houston — handled 110 million tons of cargo last year.

IF the cruises were cancelled due to this Strike or Lockout would Carnival Refund our Money or would you have needed to purchase travel insurance for that...

the cruise line would refund your money but you are on your own with airfare, hotels, and private excursions that you pre-paid.

also, regarding another post, why would Obama be supporting the union? just curious.

third, I am pretty sure that with all the high powered industries this affects that management will be getting an earful about negotiating and negotiating quickly. bottom line is that all of us consumers will just be paying more for our goods.

The strike won't affect cruises directly. It is between the unions and the shipping companies not the ports. The unions have their own contracts with the cruise lines. What might be affected are the things that would affect everyone. Some goods and supplies that come in from overseas and are used on the ships may be delayed or become short in supply. Probably most likely food items if there is an effect at all. The ports won't lock out because they are not directly involved in the dispute.

Even if only cargo ships is where the union strikes , The Port Authority is the ones who control the port itself , Will lock everything down .

The unions are not negotiating with the port authority. They are negotiating with the shipping companies. The port will not shut down.

Just to make sure I just called a friend who works at one of the affected ports who works under one of the Harbormasters. The ports themselves won't shut down. The strike is only going to be against shipping companies and not the cruise lines. The only direct affect may be increased time at security checkpoints if the port has cruise and cargo using a shared entrance.

Just to make sure I just called a friend who works at one of the affected ports who works under one of the Harbormasters. The ports themselves won't shut down. The strike is only going to be against shipping companies and not the cruise lines. The only direct affect may be increased time at security checkpoints if the port has cruise and cargo using a shared entrance.

Thank you so much for this info! We leave Jan 26 for our cruise and would be devastated if we didn't get to go. I mean worse things could happen, but we have saved for such a long time for this vacation!

I just spoke to my mother who is in the shipping business. They are obviously watching this closely.. as she cannot work without this handled.. She cleared it up for me.. this issue will ONLY EFFECT Cargo vessels.. Container ships.. this will not effect passenger vessels at all.

This from the Baton Rouge Advocate:

The ILA has told port officials that orders to handle some forms of cargo, perishable commodities and passenger ships would be honored, leaving many port functions unaffected.

Also, in the same article, the Port of New Orleans said that the port acts only as a landlord and doesn’t actually handle cargo, it said it will provide necessary access to cargo facilities and locations for demonstrations.

Here's hoping it stays an amicable disagreement or is resolved quickly as we are sailing from New Orleans on Jan 12th.

A work stoppage would not be very long sicne the welfare of the nation would be jeopardizad. I suspect a "cooling off period " would come from the government.

I would hope so but our President does everything he can to promote unions and the unions have the power to shut down the ports and prevent container ships from unloading.

If management imposes its threatened lockout no ship of any type will be able to dock because no workers will be allowed on the docks.

The lockout threat is what cruisers need to be aware of, not the strike.

Obviously, I have no idea whether there will be a lockout, but since it's been threatened I would think it's a real possibility.

Archived