Long formal dress on Norway Jade cruise in August? (Big night out questions)

Velvetwater

Sailing on NCL Jade for 10 nights in August to Norway.

I have been reading about NCL being freestyle and casual and I am fine with that but Husband and I do like to dress up.

Read a few things about Norwegian big night out thats replaced formal night but unsure what it entails and where it happens on a ship. Some say its just certain venues but I am not sure which. Also read some bits about some dresses and tuxes seen but they 'stood out'. Husband would be in an evening suit without a tie and I would be in a long flowy dress with some crystals on it.

Thing is, I bought 9 formal dresses when a boutique closed down (Huge mark down prices so couldn't resist!) and I am desperate to wear them. I bought them before I booked the cruise so figured I would be wearing them on some other line.

We are wondering if it might be slightly more dressy as its milder Europe and leaves from the UK.

Does big night out have anything else like meet the captain or drinks in the atrium?

Thanks! First time on NCL for us but excited.

They usually do photos with the captain on Norwegian's Night Out. They always have drinks in the Atrium, but if you mean free drinks in the Atrium, dream on! :D (I mean, they may do it once a year for New Year's Eve, not for every "formal" night on every cruise.)

European sailings may be a little dressier, but it's still NCL, and a long formal dress will always stand out and be noticed, in a good way. If you are uncomfortable with the attention, I don't think this would be the right situation to wear your dress. If you don't mind people looking at you (appreciatively), then go for it! Bring all 9 of them and wear a different one every night!

I've only sailed in Europe... I'm about to sail the fjords for the third time on NCL and Big Night Out dress is all over the board. If you want to dress up, go for it! You won't be the only ones, but on our other 2 sailings I'd say more didn't dress up than did, and those who dressed up weren't in dinner suits and gowns, more like lounge suits and cocktail dresses. There were a lot of Americans on the sailings, so luggage space might've played a part in this. Your outfits sound lovely and if you enjoy dressing up, you should do it!

I don't recall it being certain venues, it was basically the same as every other evening, except there were photographers set up in the atrium and there was (I think) a cocktail reception/photo op with the officers, but I've never been to it, so I can't say for sure what it is.

I stopped bringing dresses on NCL cruises .I too have a slew of long elegant dressy dresses ...good for QM 2 ....not NCL .....but I do wear long flowing pants ....very elegant and very pretty tops ...If you want to wear your stuff ...do I just think its unnecessary .but hey its your vacation so enjoy

Thanks for the replies!

I am ok with no free drinks as I have the UBP but I like the 'changed' atmosphere of an atrium on formal night when there is a sense of occasion. I already know NCL dont have the procession of staff etc. I actually never have a photo with the captain I just like having a peek! :)

Dresses are like this one as its the same brand (not too heavy but more than a maxi).

ed29_4_big.jpg?v2

Wear it!!

I wore long gowns twice on the Getaway 16 nighter which is by far more casual than the Jade will be in Europe. AND - it was lovely to see quite a few ladies dressed in evening dress not just on "Norwegian Night Out" but - on nights perhaps they were going to Le Bistro - or who knows - maybe just for the sake of it. There were only 70 Brits on board our cruise - and yet - the gowns were def out and about - Indeed - tuxes too here and there :)

I love NCL as you can do as you wish - dress up - OR NOT -

wear your gowns and enjoy them - no one will care - and most likely you will get compliments..

Jade for sure in August - going to be a more elegant cruise than say a Bahamas/Caribbean - or Epic 7 dayer from Barcelona - go for it!

She's a lovely wee ship - hope Carlos is on board for you - he is an absolute joy in the Martini Bar! He puts the Party in Piano!

Recently done 3 ncl cruises last one included new year, first time took tuxedo and evening dresses after that first one didn't do so again, hubby now takes suit, not tux I take smart dresses, tops, but find ncl cruisers all very mixed, the name freestyle is just that, one night we were in nice outfits, and others dancing alongside us were in shorts, t shirts, felt bizarre, but now got used to it, all been cruises in Europe. We too are on jade to Norway enjoy, but don't expect it to be like other cruise lines formal nights, it certainly isn't.

We too are on jade to Norway enjoy, but don't expect it to be like other cruise lines formal nights, it certainly isn't.

Maybe you are on my cruise? Not sure how many Norway Jade routes are happening this season.

We are August the 9th.

Decided to throw 2 dresses in the case as we are not flying and I have a big case. :D Just which ones to choose!

I say take the dresses, but decide for yourself when to wear them.

That is what freestyle is about. It is up to you to decide if you want to dress us and also when you do so.

If seeing lots of people dressed up on one particular night is important to someone the. They are on the wrong line. It's about deciding what is best for you. If that involves dressing up every night, on the night after the port you are looking forward to or not at all, it's your decision. The cruise line gives us the freedom to decide for ourselves.

Gosh wear what you like, I love the attitude of ncl passengers in that nobody bats an eyelid at your choice of clothes. The freestyle is so relaxed that it's fabulous to see people dressed up when others are in shorts and others in between. Basically there are no snobbish attitudes that we've seen, I think it's great that you can wear whatever you want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also say wear them. You'll feel elegant and beautiful.

Hubby and I no longer dress up much on cruises, I'm more along the lines of flowy black pants or a long black skirt with different tops, sometimes scarves or access to dress them up, but I love seeing people dressed up.

We cruise frequently with my Mom and her sister, and they still dress up as they enjoy it. My Mom says that she never goes anywhere in her regular life where she can wear semi-formal or formal clothes, so she enjoys bringing out her sparkle and such on cruises. I support it fully.

If you have a nice long sundress that would do for a summer occasion or a long skirt, flowing pants and a dressy top you will be appropriately dressed. NCL's night out usually includes being on the outside deck so I would not want to see a beautiful dress ruined if the deck is at all wet.

For a vast majority, but not all, "freestyle" means dressing down, very casual dress. Europeans tend to dress more conservatively and always look well turned out. Some of the younger passengers (under 30) do not make any effort whatever the occasion is to dress up more than wearing jeans/shorts and t-shirts every night. So, dress the way you feel comfortable.:D

I find that the indoor temps on ships tend to be too cool for me without a sweater or a jacket and no thought of wearing shorts on board unless I plan on spending time on shore.

MARAPRINCE

Freestyle is wearing what makes you comfortable. I pack dresses because I like to & I don't care if the person dining next to me or dancing next to me or standing next to me is in shorts & a tank top. To each his own. On every cruise, there will be people who dress up & there will be people who don't. Do what you want on your vacation & don't worry about everyone else.

Just back from Norway on Jade.

Passengers wore all sorts in the evening and all looked fine. I only saw two gentlemen in black tie, some wore suits, some smart jackets, but majority of men in shirts and trousers.

I didn't take my dressier outfits on this cruise, mainly wore trousers and tops in the evening.

However, I did see lots of women who had made an effort, pretty dresses, sparkly sandals etc. I didn't notice any particular change in atmosphere on the dress up or not night. In fact, it seemed that more women dressed up as the cruise progressed! Maybe everyone was waiting to see if anyone else dressed up!

The dress you pictured looks lovely and would look entirely appropriate. Perhaps the very formal type of stiff, structured ball gown that would be common on Cunard, might be too over the top.

If you don't have to fret over airplane luggage allowances, I'd definitely take a few of your dresses and have fun wearing them. I was quite sorry not to have taken the opportunity to dress up a bit.

You won't be alone, and no one will stare and point, they'll just enjoy seeing how lovely you will look.

Thanks for more replies!

If the dresses weren't already hanging up in my warddrobe I would probably have given in to the freestyle dress code but I am desperate to give one of two an outing. :)

Regardless of what happens I have 3 weddings to go to this year so that will help.

Wear them! I am going on the Jade on the 12 day June cruise to Norway and I have a few dresses like the one pictured to take. I like to dress up and my husband loves it when I dress up, thats all that matters to me. If I was not flying in from Canada and having packing weight restrictions I would take a few more dresses...LOL.

If the dresses weren't already hanging up in my warddrobe I would probably have given in to the freestyle dress code

That's missing the point of freestyle.

Freestyle isn't about dressing down. It's about dressing how you want to dress (within reason), whether that is in shorts or in a ball gown. It is up to you.

Wearing your dresses is just as freestyle as anyone who is wearing anything else.

That's missing the point of freestyle.

Freestyle isn't about dressing down. It's about dressing how you want to dress (within reason), whether that is in shorts or in a ball gown. It is up to you.

Wearing your dresses is just as freestyle as anyone who is wearing anything else.

Maybe I meant more casual.