Things I should know before my first Allure cruise

I’m sailing on the Allure for the first time later this month. :D As a long time Princess cruiser, I’m excited by all the new things I will experience. As I have been researching, it sounds like there are a few small differences in the way things are handled that might trip me up if I am not careful. I’ve put a list below of the differences I have found and how they are done on RC, I think. Would you experienced RC cruisers mind verifying these for me? Also, if you see something missing from my list, please let me know. Thanks!

Embarkation: On Princess you can go to your room to drop off your carry on as soon as you get on the ship. It sounds like on RC you carry your bag with you until an announcement is made, somewhere around 1:00, that cabins are ready?

Time: Princess changes time overnight to be on the time zone of the port stop. It sounds like RC stays on Eastern time the whole trip so sometimes the time on the ship and the time on the island are different? I read a suggestion to turn off the auto time set on your phone when you get on the ship to make sure you always know the time on the ship while in port.

Beach: Princess provides beach bags the night before your first beach stop. Bring your own beach bag on RC?

Shows: Not a problem to get in to most Princess show (although I don’t usually attend because they are not really my style.) On RC make reservations or get to the standby line early. Shows sound like they are worth seeing.

Disembarkation: On Princess you need to be out of your room by 8:00. It sounds like you can stay in your room longer on RC?

Rooms are not accessible until around 1pm.

Time changes are up to the Captain. Sometimes the time is changed, sometimes not. I think it's a good idea to turn off the auto time setting on the phone.

Bring your own beach bag.

Make reservations for shows on Quantum and Oasis class ships. On other classes of RC ships, shows are first come, first served.

RC still wants you out of the stateroom as early as possible, but there is no hard and fast 8am rule.

The shows are great and not to be missed. Really important IMO to book all of the shows via cruise planner before you board and plan your evenings. Standby means standing in a line and not being admitted until 10 mins before start. Not great for getting a good seat.

There are quite a few dinning venues (some speciality) so it is worth mixing it up where you eat as a first timer to get the full experience. This includes venues for breakfast.

Look out for the parade in the promenade. You need to get there about 30 mins before start to get a good spot. Somewhere in the middle of the promenade is best IMO.

I have always been led to believe that we should vacate our rooms by 8:00 am and out of courtesy to the room steward, we do.

It's a really good ship. I am sure you will have a great time.

For the specialty restaurants, do you need to reserve before we are on the ship, or could we wait and check out the options once we board?

If you are flexible with timing and don't have a large party, you can wait until you are onboard.

Find Central Park and do the Zip Line. I was on day 4 when I realized there was a Central Park! The hotdog place is free. There are so many free food places that you'll have to try hard to get to them all. Book the shows in advance on line. The shows are incredible! Wear comfy shoes. It's a huge ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here are my notes on Allure Dining:

Lots of choices on these ships. Here are some of the complimentary and then Specialty (has an additional cost) restaurants.

Complimentary:

• Windjammer buffet: pretty good buffet food but we try to avoid it as it has the highest chance of spreading germs. We have seen kids licking their fingers and then grabbing serving utensils. Utensils are dropped on the floor and then picked up and put back on the buffet.
  • Main Dining Room for dinner: you could eat here all week and have a great selection of food to choose from. If you can’t decide on a starter, dinner, or dessert don’t hesitate to order a 2nd one. It is okay to do so. On a 7-night cruise there are usually 2 formal nights where you should be dressed appropriately.
  • Boardwalk Dogs: open for lunch and dinner and has a selection of 6+ different types of hot dogs / sausages.
  • Park Cafe (located in Central Park). At breakfast has a bagel bar, egg sandwiches, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, etc. At lunch has a salad bar, roast beef sandwich, panini’s, quesadilla’s, wraps, etc. This is one of our favorite lunch spots.
  • Wipeout Cafe: back of ship near the sports court. At breakfast has a nice small buffet of pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon, etc. It also has a made to order omelette station that makes great omelettes (and other eggs). At lunch the buffet is set up with hamburgers, hot dogs, wraps, nachos, etc (a few items may change during the week).
  • Johnny Rockets: made to order breakfast daily.
  • Solarium: at breakfast this has healthier food choices. Eggs, fruit, granola, oatmeal, turkey bacon and sausage, muffins, etc. Lunch also has healthier food and a salad bar.
  • Sorento’s Pizza: Has a selection of 3-4 pre-made pizzas that differ day to day.
  • Promenade Cafe: this has some simple sandwiches and a selection of desserts. Good place to stop by for a quick snack.
  • Boardwalk Donuts: this is a “self-serve” cabinet with donuts located across from Boardwalk Dogs.

Specialty: these have an up-charge per person or additional charges.

• Chops Grille (Steakhouse): the included steaks are pretty good, but the better steaks cost additional on top of the up-charge. Note: they added a bone-in ribeye to the included steaks that is delicious. You can also order steaks for an additional cost in the Main Dining Room.
  • Samba Grill (in Solarium): this is a Brazilian steak-house style restaurant. 9 different cuts of meat to eat during the meal and a nice salad bar. We enjoy eating here.
  • Giovanni’s Table: this is the Italian restaurant. We liked this better in the past but recent menu changes disappointed us (got rid of my favorite broiled scallop appetizer)
  • 150 Central Park: we have not eaten here. This is the most upscale restaurant.
  • Izumi’s Asian Cuisine: A few complimentary items and then a la carte pricing for everything else. The “hot-rocks” is a fun dinner. They bring out super hot rocks and you cook your own food on it.
  • Vintages: assorted tapas and fine wines. A la carte pricing. We have wanted to try this, but somehow never fit it into our schedule.
  • Chef’s Table: Exclusive, interactive multi-course wine paring dinner hosted by ship Chef.
  • Johnny Rockets. The fast food on the ship… burgers, fries, shakes for lunch and dinner. Up charge covers your meal but shakes are extra.
  • Sabor (Mexican). A nice selection of Mexican food.
  • Starbucks: there is a Starbucks on board for your coffee fix if needed.

Giovanni's used to be open for lunch on Embarkation day. They did not have the lasagna on the menu, but had it if you asked. That was one of the best lunches of the cruise.

The Allure is a fantastic ship.Another favorite place was Vintages in Central Park. I would get a white sangria every day, they saw me coming and already had it ready for me.

Vintages is a nice place to get a glass of wine and a couple of tapas appetizers before dinner. It's also a favorite place to sit with a glass of wine and listen to the nightly music in Central Park. You'll enjoy the Allure. We were previous cruisers on HAL and have now made the Allure our favorite cruise every November.

Another good place to watch the parade is the Schooner Bar. Get there early and get a seat at the railing. Since you look down on the parade, it's a great vantage point.

Edited by kalliekae

Vintages is a nice place to get a glass of wine and a couple of tapas appetizers before dinner. It's also a favorite place to sit with a glass of wine and listen to the nightly music in Central Park. You'll enjoy the Allure. We were previous cruisers on HAL and have now made the Allure our favorite cruise every November.

Another good place to watch the parade is the Schooner Bar. Get there early and get a seat at the railing. Since you look down on the parade, it's a great vantage point.

We just did our first Allure cruise in late August (just before the hurricanes). It was great. I agree with most all the info you've been given. I am a planner and I did lots and lots of research and it sounds like you've done the same. But even with all that planning, I totally missed that Vintages has tapas until our next to last day. If I had known, we would have spent more time there. We came in for some sangria before dinner and there sat the tapas menu. DARN! I could really have spent more time there if I had known. So I'm glad you're getting this tip.

And Central Park is great. Music in the evenings. Beautiful plants. Quiet (usually). ABSOLUTELY make sure you check the place out in the morning and the evening...those are the best times. We quickly made a habit out of strolling through in the evening and enjoying the live music with a drink.

I'm assuming the tapas at Vintages were not complimentary? Definitely want to try them next month while onboard.

Correct, not normally complimentary. However, we once bought a very expensive bottle of wine there to celebrate a birthday in our group, and they did give us some complimentary tapas.

My experience with my room being ready has varied. One time, I got in the ship shortly after 11 and I was able to go straight to my room and another time I couldn’t get in until 4! Bring a small carryon. I usually take a backpack because it’s easier to carry. They will deliver your large luggage in the evening.

In my experience with Royal, we have always stayed on the same time as our departure port to avoid confusion.

I have not yet been on a Royal ship with Broadway production shows. I would imagine that they are extremely popular and it would be in your best interest to book ahead for a good seat. I have not sailed on the Oasis class, so I don’t know how big the theater is. I’ve seen many small productions/comedians/magicians on Freedom class and just walked right into the theater, but there is a large passenger difference between the two ships.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked all shows ahead in cruise planner. However, there was lots of room at all the shows except the comedy club. You can also book once on board or if you are like my DH, take your chances if you are on the mood to see a show. :)

Rooms were not ready until 1 and that is pretty consistent the 3x I've sailed RCI.

We really enjoyed the Allure. It's a great option when traveling with teens/young adults and large groups. There are so many options and things to do. Enjoy your cruise!

My experience with my room being ready has varied. One time, I got in the ship shortly after 11 and I was able to go straight to my room and another time I couldn’t get in until 4! Bring a small carryon. I usually take a backpack because it’s easier to carry. They will deliver your large luggage in the evening.

In my experience with Royal, we have always stayed on the same time as our departure port to avoid confusion.

I have not yet been on a Royal ship with Broadway production shows. I would imagine that they are extremely popular and it would be in your best interest to book ahead for a good seat. I have not sailed on the Oasis class, so I don’t know how big the theater is. I’ve seen many small productions/comedians/magicians on Freedom class and just walked right into the theater, but there is a large passenger difference between the two ships.

Enjoy your cruise!

Booking ahead does not get you a good seat. Booking ahead only guarantees that you get into the show. If you want a good seat you still need to show up 30 minutes early.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Booking ahead does not get you a good seat. Booking ahead only guarantees that you get into the show. If you want a good seat you still need to show up 30 minutes early.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Thanks, good to know for future reference. Like I said, never been in the situation where prebooking a show was necessary

There are quite a few dinning venues (some speciality) so it is worth mixing it up where you eat as a first timer to get the full experience. This includes venues for breakfast.

Look out for the parade in the promenade. You need to get there about 30 mins before start to get a good spot. Somewhere in the middle of the promenade is best IMO.

It's a really good ship. I am sure you will have a great time.

As to the parades in the promenade, if you want a good viewing space but want to be out of the crowd- go to the photo gallery area and stand there at the balcony. We watched almost all of the parades from this vantage point and had a fantastic view of everything. I would still get to the area about 20-30 minutes early. The advantage to this particular location is that the photos are stored in little folders and you can be looking through your folio while you wait for the parade. I like this system better than having to go through all of the various pictures from each event or night hoping you find "your" pictures.

And yes the dining venues are plentiful. We enjoyed breakfast at Johnny Rockets. We also enjoyed breakfast at Wipeout Café. We found it less crowded than Windjammer. We did have seated breakfast in the MDR on two mornings and it was great both times.