Britannia - sunbed situation

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:54 AM.
lancs
400 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We have sailed with Britannia 5 times now, med and Canaries and have always been able to find a sun bed. Granted not near the pools but I wouldn't want to be jam packed next to someone else and the main pool is noisy. Have a wander round and find all the lesser used areas.It can also be very windy at the front. Much prefer our own balcony.
Scotland
1,162 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Balaena
Frankly those seeking a sun bed and find one unoccupied yet piled with books and personal bits should have the courage to remove the items from the sun bed(s) and place same on the deck. Expect a barrage from the previous occupier when they return, but ignore them and they will go away after a few minutes and look elsewhere to do the same as yourself.
Personally I don't sunbath but have witnessed selfishness of reserving sun beds on so many occasions and see no reason why folk are so able to flout the sun deck rules.
Stand up and be counted .. ummmm lay down and be counted.
I agree with the sentiment entirely however some of the worst fights on cruise ships start this way and the innocent party can often get thrown off with the guilty one who kicks up a fuss or starts a physical fight.

The cruise company should deal with it. It would be particulalry easy to do this with the early morning bed hoggers, wait 30 minutes from when any items are left on a bed and then simply remove them. By 8am all the beds would be clear again. Do a round every 30 minutes and remove any items, if applied consistently the message would eventually get through to even the terminally selfish. It would take just one additional member of staff to do this and makes everyone life easier.

Celebrity do it and while it is not perfect they at least try and it is better than allowing self centered, selfish people to hog facilities meant for the enjoyment of everyone. My particular bug bear is those who go on shore and bag a bed for when they eventually return which someone could have had the use of all morning.
BH13 - England
2,955 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
The cruise company should deal with it. It would be particulalry easy to do this with the early morning bed hoggers, wait 30 minutes from when any items are left on a bed and then simply remove them. By 8am all the beds would be clear again. Do a round every 30 minutes and remove any items, if applied consistently the message would eventually get through to even the terminally selfish. It would take just one additional member of staff to do this and makes everyone life easier.
Okay in therory.
However, a P&O Seal Colony will have sentinals in place to defend all their created territory.
These are usually the largest, most vociferous, and aggressive members of the Colony, sometimes displaying a number of tattoos, signifying their rank or status within the Colony.
Do not think a solitary unprotected, and unarmed, member of staff would stand a chance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are those who have, and those who have Yachts.
Devon, UK
4,854 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
We removed a book and towels from sunbeds that hadn't been occupied for 90 minutes at least. We had been sitting having a coffee waiting to see if anyone came back. We moved the stuff onto a nearby table and began sunbathing. After another 30 minutes the owners (of the books and towels) came back and said they had only been 20 minutes. Another couple fell about laughing and told them they had been gone for 2 hours. Nothing more was said.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

Whitley Bay, North East England
7,039 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by PORT ROYAL
Looks like a mid-morning on embarkation day.

No beds or tables have been moved, and the daylight appears to be well after sunrise.

If a sea day, by the time the photograph was taken, the straight lines of beds would have been thoroughly trashed to become seal colonies, with multiple beds removed to create more personal space for a colony. Note no reservation items.

In light of the above, photographic evidence makes the case for a non-seaday proven.

The photos were taken in the afternoon as we sailed past Ibiza on the hottest day of the cruise.

So once again you are wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720
Azura A728 Azura A729
Ventura N801

To Come

Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 20

Gan Canny

Dai
Whitley Bay, North East England
7,039 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by daiB

Sent from my iPad using Forums
These photos are time stamped at 15.03 on Sunday 18th October 2015
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720
Azura A728 Azura A729
Ventura N801

To Come

Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 20

Gan Canny

Dai
BH13 - England
2,955 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by daiB
These photos are time stamped at 15.03 on Sunday 18th October 2015
As one is unable to personally verify the correctness of your camera settings, the settings are therefore taken as being as stated.
What is very noticeable, on zooming in, is the sartorial elegance of the people photographed, all being suitably dressed for a "Tropical" day on a P&O ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are those who have, and those who have Yachts.
Devon, UK
4,854 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Sartorial elegance????????/ Where? LOL I think that's why we stick to Adult Only, older ships. Once on Azura was enough for me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

Shoreham by Sea, England
22 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by soobs
We sailed the Caribbean on Britannia on her maiden season and the towels on sunbeds at dawn and the squabbling about sunbeds was really not very good at all, since then we have have stuck to the Azura where we find it a lot better (still a bit of an issue if you are not an early riser though) Anyway my question is has it improved at all as I am thinking of the TA back to Southampton with James M on board.
Just returned from Xmas cruise on Brittania, my only complaint was about sunbeds. First item on Horizon sheet was no reserving sunbeds but by 8 oclock on a sea day most had towels on them with no people in sight. I did put on questionare why are they waisting printing space if they are not going to implement rules. Apart from that cruise was fantastic.
637 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Thank you Chrisbha think that has done it for me a TA back from the Caribbean has a lot of sea days and fighting for a bed is not my cup of tea
will look for other options as much as I would like to meet James M
150 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by soobs
Thank you Chrisbha think that has done it for me a TA back from the Caribbean has a lot of sea days and fighting for a bed is not my cup of tea
will look for other options as much as I would like to meet James M
Did transatlantic back from Caribbean in March 2016. Never once had to fight or struggle to find a sunbed.
Chesterfield
943 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
We did the translantic on Britannia March 2017 (and are doing it again in 2018) We always managed to find a sunbed ,not necessarily by the pool 'but somewhere to relax and sunbathe
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess 2011
Independence of the Seas 2012
Queen Elizabeth 2013
Oceana March 2014
Ventura October 2014
Ventura April 2015
Cruise & Maritime July 2015
Arcadia Sept 2015
Ventura Feb 2016
Emerald Princess June 2016
Arcadia October 2016
Britannia March 2017
Britannia June 2017
Azura September 2017
637 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
thank you all for your replies we have decided to leave the March cruise I will have to live not meeting Jame M and do our usual pre-Xmas Caribbean cruise with less sea days the balcony rooms we can afford the balcony's are not big enough for sunbathing lovely to sit and watch the world go by though
UK
673 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
We were on the Christmas cruise on Britannia and unless you wanted to be right next to the pool there was no issue finding a lounger. A couple of days it was full by the pool so I sat at a table instead and both times loungers became free with 15 mins so I was able to grab one. If you wanted more than a couple of together it might be an issue, but finding 1 or 2 was fine.
Edinburgh
3,530 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
You could substitute Britannia for numerous other ships and to be honest we've never had any trouble finding sun loungers on any ship. However we prefer quieter spots away from the main pools and head towards the aft / forwards - depending on the wind direction. People tend to reserve loungers for long times around the pool more than anywhere else IMO
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Still to come:
P&O Aurora USA and Canada 16th September 2018
P&O Ventura Bermuda, USA and Caribbean 5th February 2019
P&O Oriana Spain, Spain, Corsica and Italy, 17th September 2019
P&O Ventura USA and Caribbean February 2020
134 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We were on Britannia during her first summer,sunbeds in serenity were covered with belongings very early most days but between us we eventually realised that the main offenders were members of the crew from the ships shows,they did periodically put in an appearance & somebody would recognise one or more of them,we are on Britannia again in March,be interesting to see who the offenders are these days!
637 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Tartanexile81 thank you for your advise we were thinking of Britannia because James Martin was on board we avoid Britannia if we can prefer the smaller ships and love Azura who we have cruised the Caribbean many many times on, we have never done a TA but have been tempted ideally we would like to do a TA but fit in Madeira which is on our bucket list.