First for us!

Joc123

We have just returned from Quest, Boston to Montreal and before I say anything else, this was a great cruise - very happy feel on board, great food, lovely weather, no complaints.

The thing that took us by surprise (it didn’t worry us, just not seen it before) was we had a dog onboard.

Has anyone else experienced this? This little puppy came everywhere - all over the ship (if I wasn’t so useless I would post a very cute photo of her on a chair in the Square) on tours and in restaurants (she was in her carry bag for this) Apparently, she is being trained as a Companion Dog for artistic kids or the elderly. I stress, this didn’t worry us just not seen it before.

The other thing I found interesting was the number of people discussing how they could fit the alcohol from their fridge into their luggage. I must admit we have never thought of doing this and I’m wondering if we are the only ones who leave it behind (I have been guilty of taking soap and shampoo from hotels if it’s good quality - just not Molton Brown!)

We left an unopened bottle of champagne in our fridge as well as a bottle of bourbon and a bottle of vodka that were over three fourths full. No, we never even thought of putting them in our luggage. This was on our late September/early October voyage aboard the Encore.

No haven't seen a dog before on board before, but I guess why not? Assistance dogs and guide dogs are able to go anywhere.

Generally we don't open the alcohol in our fridge - there's been no need with enough elsewhere:evilsmile:.

We have taken a bottle of whiskey when we were going on travelling elsewhere for a few weeks before heading home, but that was because our travels were taking us through countries where it would be difficult to access.

The other occasion was when everyone on board was given a gift bottle of champagne (Dom P or Bolly) when we had run out of NF during the cruise. That was a very nice touch, but an expensive "shout". We were able to have a champagne party with fellow cruisers at our hotel after disembarkation.

Don't think I'd risk it packed in a suitcase. Some of the luggage handling can be violent.

Quite a few people do take it with them though.

We did a cruise on the Sojourn a few years ago from Dover to Quebec and had an assistance dog on board, Lucy. Her owner was in a wheelchair and Lucy would help her in the cabin and if she dropped anything ! Perfectly behaved, delightful cruise companion (better than some human passengers !). We went through a force 12 gale going up to Greenland and she was calm and sat with her owner to protect her from the rolling !

(by the way did you mean autistic?;))

We did a cruise on the Sojourn a few years ago from Dover to Quebec and had an assistance dog on board, Lucy. Her owner was in a wheelchair and Lucy would help her in the cabin and if she dropped anything ! Perfectly behaved, delightful cruise companion (better than some human passengers !). We went through a force 12 gale going up to Greenland and she was calm and sat with her owner to protect her from the rolling !

(by the way did you mean autistic?;))

Yes I did mean autistic - auto correct!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. I don't think many people bother to take the alcohol from their suite home; we certainly do not. Always a couple of soaps, as a reminder, and the slippers, however.

The 'companion dog' question has arisen before, on other lines. I fear that there is a feeling that in some cases passengers have managed to rater fool the authorities into giving them permission to regard their little pets as necessary 'companion dogs', and the cruise line really has no option but to accept this. Note: I did say 'in some cases' before anyone starts 'flaming'.

I read recently that there is a crackdown on "fake" service dogs as the practice has become common. Not saying that this pup was a fake service dog--just pointing out that there is an issue. I would personally love to see a service dog (even one in training) on the ship.

A CD did tell us of a time when one passenger was saying goodbye when leaving the ship at the end of the cruise. Unfortunately for the guest the carry bag broke and loads of Molton Brown products went everywhere. Very embarrassing and I would go as far as calling this stealing.

The question of service/assistance dogs and 'companion' dogs is a tricky one, to me. Cruise lines (apart from QM2 on transatlantics, I believe) do not take dogs on board, surely - unless they are a certified necessity for the passenger, who might be blind or in a wheelchair.

I understand that there has been some fudging of the rules recently (in the USA?) whereby people who did not genuinely need a dog managed to get a certificate from the authorities to persuade them otherwise. And that in those cases the cruise line could not refuse to accept them. I must admit I would not be happy to see a little 'handbag' dog on board with a perfectly fit passenger who simply wanted their beloved pet to be with them. But then, I am not a lover of all dogs in general, as many people are!

The word 'authorities' is key here. Probably some authorities give letters to those who do not meet requirements for them. These authorities should have more fortitude and honesty.

However, a number of people in my geographic locale have obtained these certificates on the web, for a price. This seems

to be particularly popular with the folks who jet back and forth to Florida and do not wish to board their dog. They also purchase a dog vest to make it 'look' better.

Perhaps there could be a state organized authorization process with certificate, much like the disability placards.

I have great respect for working dogs and no issue with their being on board a flight...I just don't think that this is what we usually are experiencing.