Smooth waters on Med Cruise?

lifeasme123

I don't recall ever experiencing seas in the Caribbean as rough as we have in the Mediterranean. As with any large body of water, the Med is susceptible to high winds and rough seas. The Gulf of Lyon is especially prone to high winds.

Having stated the above, we have experienced many Med cruises with very calm seas. I hope you experience the same...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

It can be calm or rough. There is no knowing. If you are prone to sea sickness, just come prepared.

Thank you....exactly what i wanted to know! It's a hit or miss situation....we will bring the dramamine.

And aquilegia's advice should be your motto whereever you cruise. There is always the possibility of rough seas, so you need to be prepared every day you are on a ship, anywhere. There is no magic, always calm place.

Have previously cruised 2 13 day Mediterranean cruises, both towards the end of August early September. I commented to others how nice and calm the water and how nice the weather. This was my comparison to Atlantic and Caribbean cruising. I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have previously cruised 2 13 day Mediterranean cruises, both towards the end of August early September. I commented to others how nice and calm the water and how nice the weather. This was my comparison to Atlantic and Caribbean cruising. I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perfect, exactly the comparison I am looking for. Thanks! We will be on the Med cruise at the end of this month. In Jan we sailed on Anthem of the Seas from Bayonne (your neck of the woods) down to the Caribbean and it was not bad.

Is the sea pretty smooth in the on a med cruise? Just wondering how it is compared to Caribbean cruising, where the water can be choppy.

Same with the Mediterranean. We had a rough night first night out from Barcelona to Nice and more pronounced motion later on as we were heading from Turkey to Greece, but overall it was fine.

We have good friends who had the worst seas of all their cruises in the Mediterranean

after leaving Rome and headed west. Everyone was sent to their cabin and ordered not to leave. It was in November 2008, and she said out of 50 cruises, it was the worst, with almost hurricane force winds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two of the worst storms I've been in at sea were in the Med. One was the end of May, the other middle of September.

The only storm worse than those was in the North Atlantic at the end of October. The Med storms were both fairly brief, lasting just a few hours, but powerful. I see a lot of posts here at CC making the assumption that the Med will be calm.

I've only sailed in the Carribbean in December and January and while it's been rough there from time to time it was nothing compared to the Med.

Aquilegia nailed it above.

It can be calm or rough. There is no knowing. If you are prone to sea sickness, just come prepared.

I've been on a couple of Mediterranean cruises and you never know even if you track the weather before your trip.

Last February Costa canceled Trapani for Palermo which was canceled for Messina. The ship will adjust accordingly for safety and better seas when it is feasible. DW is prone to seasickness but the patch gets her through.

Have done Med cruises lots of times in June or July and never had bad seas, but that is not say it can't be rough, just that we are lucky. Early this year we did a 28 day cruise to the Caribbean from the UK and back and never had one rough day. As I say we have been lucky.