Shorts in Dinning Room for dinner

The rule for no shorts in the MDR for dinner[other then formal nights] is enforced about as much as bringing on your own water and soda!! It's another 'rule' Royal rarely enforces!! I say wear away!!!;) Worse that can happen is you have to run back to you room to change and those chances are pretty slim!!

Royal's dining dress code : hats, shorts, tank tops and flip flops are not permitted in the dining room. !

Be prepared for much discussion on this topic.

Shorts are not allowed in the MDR.

Full stop.

Flip flops should not be allowed anywhere in public areas.

They are awful, noisey and a distraction for others.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Go L Y N N

OK, you are going on a cruise. The rules say to wear certain clothes on certain days. You decide that it is your cruise so you don't do this.

You are driving down a road. The sign says not to enter because it is a one way street. You decide that this is your road ( paid by your taxes) so you enter anyway.

My point is that you know what is expected of you before the cruise. If you do not agree with the rules, why even go?

Wear what you want .It's your cruise .It others have a problem its their problem

This is such a selfish statement. The guidelines are there for a reason. When you drive at home it is your road, right? Does that mean it's OK to go ahead drive on the wrong side if you want to? Probably not.

Edited by Sascol

why is it so hard for adults to act like adults? Long khaki pants or jeans are not uncomfortable when worn with a nice loose fitting button down shirt, or a polo shirt. What is the difference?

Yes, people do get turned away. Some do slip by. But seriously, you are adults, why should a fashion police be needed at the front door. As adults you should be respectful.

like like like like like

I hope we are on the same cruise. Since it is my cruise, not only am I planning on wearing what I want no matter what, I am going to chair hog, get on the elevator without letting anyone off, (not letting anyone in walkers or wheelchairs go first ), cut the line in the Windjammer, save lots of seats in the theater , get one drink package for the two of us, smoke on my balcony and bring my service pig. I don't have kids at home but I sm thinking I might rent a few to do cannonballs in the solarium pools, push all the elevator numbers with sticky ice cream hands, cry in specialty restaurants and run amuck through the ship. I will have those kids knock on all the doors at night and change the room service tags.

Why not? It's my cruise!

I think we have cruised together at one time.

Why is it so hard for adults to act like adults? Long Khaki pants or jeans are not uncomfortable when worn with a nice loose fitting button down shirt, or a polo shirt. What is the difference?

Yes, people do get turned away. Some do slip by. But seriously, you are adults, why should a fashion police be needed at the front door. As Adults you should be respectful.

Bravo! I just don't get it, either. If you don't want to adhere to the suggested attire for the evening, it's pretty simple: go eat at one of the other informal venues where shorts & tank tops are no issue.

Sadly, respect & common courtesy seem to be lacking in abundance in regards to the MDR these days. There's always some who think they are special snowflakes & deserve the right to behave however they want because "it's their cruise, too." Sigh....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My point is that you know what is expected of you before the cruise. If you do not agree with the rules, why even go?

Because this forum is known for telling you what is enforced and not enforced so people get used to abiding by the rules those they choose to and ignoring the ones they choose to. Or my favorite, the spin of what is in writing!!

In all reality-we all should probably just pay attention to ourselves and not worry about the other guy. Enjoy your vacay. Don't worry about what your neighbor is doing. on the other hand, here on the forum, it is great entertainment to tell others what they can and can not do from behind a computer screen though!!! :p

This is such a selfish statement. The guidelines are there for a reason. When you drive at home it is your road, right? Does that mean it's OK to go ahead drive on the wrong side if you want to? Probably not.

When was the last time someone was killed because someone wore short pants?

Last month on Liberty, we were almost knocked over on the way into the MDR by a man in shorts and a tank top. He was storming off while giving the double bird to the staff that turned him away! :eek::D:D

I know, I know...the OP isn't planning on wearing a tank top (most likely;)), but this thread made me think of that moment all over again.:)

Tank top ??? like Granville out of "open all hours".

Shorts in the main dining room ?? ........ I think it's once again a terrible idea......... it goes right back to that whole "how far do you push it" thing.

Don't be a scruffy scallywag. just wear a pair of strides.

Bravo! I just don't get it, either. If you don't want to adhere to the suggested attire for the evening, it's pretty simple: go eat at one of the other informal venues where shorts & tank tops are no issue.

Sadly, respect & common courtesy seem to be lacking in abundance in regards to the MDR these days. There's always some who think they are special snowflakes & deserve the right to behave however they want because "it's their cruise, too." Sigh....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOVE YA BEACH GIRL ...... good call xx

When was the last time someone was killed because someone wore short pants?

Is that your criterion for when rules apply to you? If someone could get killed, the rule applies; otherwise, I'll do whatever I want . . . ;)

Is that your criterion for when rules apply to you? If someone could get killed, the rule applies; otherwise, I'll do whatever I want . . . ;)

Ha ha ha, leave it up to you to stretch things and get that out of what he posted. I could be wrong but I think the point the OP was trying to make is that comparing wearing shorts in the MDR to someone driving down the wrong side of the road is about like comparing apples to footballs. Driving down the wrong side of the road endangers others. Wearing shorts in a dining room does not. Why can you not see that?

Seriously, its absolutely hilarious so many get their undies in a wad over what others wear LOL.

The bottom line is shorts are becoming more and more common in the MDR on any night. While I would NEVER wear shorts in the MDR, I could not care less if others do. Maybe those that are upset need to go find another cruise line instead of telling the shorts wearers to go to the Windjammer.

Obviously RCI no longer cares.

Edited by ryano

I hope we are on the same cruise. Since it is my cruise, not only am I planning on wearing what I want no matter what, I am going to chair hog, get on the elevator without letting anyone off, (not letting anyone in walkers or wheelchairs go first ), cut the line in the Windjammer, save lots of seats in the theater , get one drink package for the two of us, smoke on my balcony and bring my service pig. I don't have kids at home but I sm thinking I might rent a few to do cannonballs in the solarium pools, push all the elevator numbers with sticky ice cream hands, cry in specialty restaurants and run amuck through the ship. I will have those kids knock on all the doors at night and change the room service tags.

Why not? It's my cruise!

MommaBear,

You got the narcissist behavior down pat. LOL. Don't forget to drive in the left lane, and refuse to yield on the way to the port. After all, it's your highway.

[quote name='ryano']Ha ha ha, leave it up to you to stretch things and get that out of what he posted. I could be wrong but I think the point the OP was trying to make is that comparing wearing shorts in the MDR to someone driving down the wrong side of the road is about like comparing apples to footballs.

Seriously, its absolutely hilarious so many get their undies in a wad over what others wear LOL.

The bottom line is shorts are becoming more and more common in the MDR on any night. While I would NEVER wear shorts in the MDR, I could not care less if others do. Maybe those that are upset need to go find another cruise line instead of telling the shorts wearers to go to the Windjammer.

Obviously RCI no longer cares.[/QUOTE]

I was just playing the same game he was playing. He was pretending that someone meant that driving on the wrong side of the road and wearing shorts to dinner had similar consequences (which, of course, nobody really meant). I shot back playing the same game, pretending he meant that, as long as nobody is going to be killed, then rules don't matter.

On my part, it was meant to be a cheeky response, showing how stupid it is to play that game of trying to twist someone else's words.

When posters are saying 'tank top' what do they mean?
Is it a woollen sleeveless jumper, or a vest type garment (sleeveless tshirt with a large area of armpit on show)?
I'm just having trouble imaging people wearing the former with a pair of shorts, but that is what is known as a tank top in the UK. :confused:

[quote name='3CatsInMA']Based on replies by members of the Fashion Police in other threads, it won't be long! :eek::D;)[/quote]

LOL
Yeah, but in reality, they probably wouldn't have the stones to "patrol" the MDR and tell anyone a thing or two face to face!!:D

[quote name='Havingfun2010']Why is it so hard for adults to act like adults? Long Khaki pants or jeans are not uncomfortable when worn with a nice loose fitting button down shirt, or a polo shirt. What is the difference?

Yes, people do get turned away. Some do slip by. But seriously, you are adults, why should a fashion police be needed at the front door. As Adults you should be respectful.[/QUOTE]

Because interpretations of what makes an adult, or what is respectful can be different.
And with acceptable dress in the MDR, its up to RCL to make that determination on their ship.:)

[quote name='patsfan78']When was the last time someone was killed because someone wore short pants?[/QUOTE]

When is the last time someone booked a specific cruise line because they enjoy the upscale atmosphere of the dining room because they know the cruise line enforces the dress code? I bet about 100 times already today.

Grow up. It is not YOUR cruise. It is EVERYONE'S cruise. As others have stated, if you want to wear shorts to the dining room for dinner, pick a cruise line that allows or even encourages it. Avoid cruise lines that restrict it but offer an opportunity for you to 'slide by'.

[quote name='ryano']Ha ha ha, leave it up to you to stretch things and get that out of what he posted. I could be wrong but I think the point the OP was trying to make is that comparing wearing shorts in the MDR to someone driving down the wrong side of the road is about like comparing apples to footballs. Driving down the wrong side of the road endangers others. Wearing shorts in a dining room does not. Why can you not see that?

Obviously RCI no longer cares.[/QUOTE]Put me in the group that thinks you should dress neatly. What difference does it make if you wear shorts? In many nice restaurants that are in the area of Florida that I'm from, shorts are perfectly acceptable. Edited by FLACRUISER99

[quote name='Sascol']When is the last time someone booked a specific cruise line because they enjoy the upscale atmosphere of the dining room because they know the cruise line enforces the dress code? I bet about 100 times already today.

[/QUOTE]

Uhhh yeah, those people book Cunard or similar lines. Thats what Im saying. If you want an enforced dress code, go somewhere else. You will only be disappointed with Royal Caribbean. They do not enforce a dress code and its becoming obvious they no longer care! Edited by ryano

[quote name='FLACRUISER99']Put me in the group that thinks you should dress neatly. What difference does it make if you wear shorts? In many nice restaurants that are in the area of Florida that I'm from, shorts are perfectly acceptable.[/QUOTE]

Well said. I agree 100%