Norway cruise- do we need Krone?

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:05 PM.
82 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Hi all- we are going on a Norweigan fjord cruise shortly and will spend 4 days in port.Do we need to take Krone for things like coffee,snacks etc or will we be ok with our credit card? Just don't want to be stuck with Krone at the end of the cruise and lose out when we exchange back to sterling.
Any help much appreciated
Eve
Surrey
518 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Credit cards and debit cards are accepted in all the places we went. We did not spend much as most excursions were only half a day and 2 that we did included coffee and cake/biscuit.
12 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Hi, just recently back from Fjords cruise and we managed with a regular debit card. All shops and cafe's we visited took card payments. Much easier than exchanging money.
Have a great holiday

PS. If going to Flam its very easy to overspend in the pub
Scotland
1,290 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
We always take at least some currency with us. The toilet attendants don’t take credit cards

Joking aside there are some small purchases you may wish to make that currency would be better, for example at the fish market in Bergen or if using local public transport.

Depending on the charges on your card for currency it is sometimes as well losing out on some odd coins left over after the holiday than paying the currency conversion for small purchases. Depends on your card, some have no charges at all.
Staffordshire
2,646 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
We always take at least some currency with us. The toilet attendants don’t take credit cards

Joking aside there are some small purchases you may wish to make that currency would be better, for example at the fish market in Bergen or if using local public transport.

Depending on the charges on your card for currency it is sometimes as well losing out on some odd coins left over after the holiday than paying the currency conversion for small purchases. Depends on your card, some have no charges at all.
It is not a joke as we were in Bergen one Sunday morning and everywhere was shut even McDonalds and there was a family panicking because one of them wanted to go to the toilet and the only one they could find was part of the indoor fish market and you needed coins.
Scotland
1,290 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by majortom10
It is not a joke as we were in Bergen one Sunday morning and everywhere was shut even McDonalds and there was a family panicking because one of them wanted to go to the toilet and the only one they could find was part of the indoor fish market and you needed coins.
That’s why I always have some local currency, some toilet paper in my pocket and cleansing wipes to hand wherever I go in the world.

In some countries/ cities even the coffee shops charge for the loos, thankfully Norway is not one of them and provides clean facilities with decent quality paper.

Not for polite conversation but a very basic necessity.
82 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Thanks for all your help- think we will risk it and just use our Credit Card as it doesn’t charge us anything to use abroad.
Fingers crossed we don’t need the loo, but after all that time we spend in the pub in Flamm......😊
Nottngham, UK.
1,009 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Did Norway a couple of years ago. Non-cruise line excursions pre-booked and paid for. Did not spend a penny (or Krone) in Norway!

Stuart
England
1,450 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Eveglos
Thanks for all your help- think we will risk it and just use our Credit Card as it doesn’t charge us anything to use abroad.
Fingers crossed we don’t need the loo, but after all that time we spend in the pub in Flamm......😊
I would agree. Cash is dead! We have been to Norway 3 or 4 times and never needed it. We now use a Revolut card which you load with cash and can use in any country at a good exchange rate with no fee. I’ve used it for very small amounts with no difficulty. We rarely ever bother with foreign currency nowadays. As our kids tell us, cash is for old people
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 55 nights over 3 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
Scotland
1,290 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Selbourne
I would agree. Cash is dead! We have been to Norway 3 or 4 times and never needed it. We now use a Revolut card which you load with cash and can use in any country at a good exchange rate with no fee. I’ve used it for very small amounts with no difficulty. We rarely ever bother with foreign currency nowadays. As our kids tell us, cash is for old people
I was in the supermarket a couple of days ago when someone tried to pay by card and it failed. So did the person after them. TSB major IT issue, it’s been all over the press.

The “old” people in the que (like me) with cash could pay for our shopping.
Kent, England
6,577 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
I am off to Norway next month, which bits of Norway refuse to accept cash?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare now more seats not loungers please

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 4
P&O Azura x 1
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 10
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
Marella Discovery x 3
NCL Epic

To come
Marella Explorer Sept 2018
Marella Dream Jan 2019
Marella Explorer April 2019
Marella Explorer July 2019
Marella Explorer 2 Oct 2019
180 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Even at home we both way prefer paying by cash,maybe we are dinosaurs but it is what works best for us..
A number of years ago we travelled to Iceland & Norway on a cruise,we got the Icelandic & Norwegian money from our TA,just before we arrived in Alesund(just know I have spelt that wrong!) we were next to a very loud group on board where this guy was telling everybody how he never travelled with cash & always paid by card,fast forward to the next day at the top of what I think they call the City Mountain in Alesund,we had walked up,the view is amazing,the tour coaches then arrived & a few minutes later very loud voices could be heard from the little cafe where this guy had tried to pay for his coffee by card only to be told that they took cash only,neither he nor the cafe owner were pleased!
90 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by Dobbers
Hi, just recently back from Fjords cruise and we managed with a regular debit card. All shops and cafe's we visited took card payments. Much easier than exchanging money.
Have a great holiday

PS. If going to Flam its very easy to overspend in the pub
So I take it the pub in Flam takes cards, and also that a pint isn't cheap? We're thinking of paying them a visit next month and realise we may need to budget....
Dorset
92 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
I would not travel to different countries without having a little of their currencys just in case ,after all I intend to visit them again and £20 doesn't go a miss , yes having a pint in flam will cost you £10 ,a little expensive but I don't drink beer , but I like to be safe with a little currency anyway
Basingstoke
1,325 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
I like to avoid embarrassment. So in situations like paying for a coffee, snack etc. where my card is declined for whatever reason, I always have cash as back up.
Cumbria,U.K.
6,159 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
We usually have some left over $$ and €€ which we take to Norway- we bought woolly slippers at a market stall which were £20 or €20 or $30...not a good rate of exchange, maybe, but handy to have at times.
I've been in souvenir shops which are happy to take all of those 3 currencies, and as we doubt we'll be going anywhere that needs $$ again, it was easier than exchanging them at the post office.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jo.
21 cruises; 12 ships; 8 lines; 96 ports