What are people who are leaving from San Juan doing about their trip?

nnroger

Hello, I am scheduled to leave from San Juan on Carnival Fascination on October 29th. With the devastation in San Juan, I'm very worried that I won't be able to get to San Juan to embark on the cruise (if the cruise isn't outright cancelled in the first place). What are people doing who are leaving for Carnival cruises from San Juan? If we aren't able to get to the port, what happens next? I don't even know if the hotel I booked is still standing, so on the off chance I'm even able to get to San Juan, how are we supposed to know if we can stay anywhere?

I have travel insurance, but my fear is that Carnival may not cancel the cruise (are the ports even still open?)

This is my first cruise so any help or advice is much appreciated.

If it is bad enough you can't fly there, then Carnival won't be sailing from there. It is too early for them to make the call to move or cancel the cruise a month away.

All you can do at this point is wait till they decide to make the call...and be glad you have insurance.

HURRICANE MARIA

ITINERARY UPDATES 9/22/2017 – 3:30:00 PM (EDT)

Carnival Fascination – San Juan

The Port of San Juan is currently closed. Fascination guests currently on board enjoyed a day in Antigua today and are now on their way to San Juan. Our intention is to be in position to dock this weekend, in the event the port re-opens, in order to give guests an opportunity to debark, if they wish to do so. Alternatively, guests may also remain on board as the ship repositions to Miami, where it will arrive on Tuesday afternoon and stay until Wednesday. Our airline partners are committed to working with our guests to waive any change fees associated with rescheduling flights.

Port officials have informed us that our terminal in San Juan has sustained extensive damage as a result of Hurricane Maria. The assessment is still in progress but it now appears that it will take several weeks to make the necessary repairs. Unfortunately, this means the following San Juan and Barbados sailings will have to be cancelled:

San Juan departures

September 24

October 1

October 8

Barbados departures

September 27

October 4

October 11

For all canceled cruises, a full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment.

Given the circumstances, we are working with our airline partners to assist those guests with independent air travel regarding the waiver of change fees.

TRAVEL ALERTS

Hello, I am scheduled to leave from San Juan on Carnival Fascination on October 29th. With the devastation in San Juan, I'm very worried that I won't be able to get to San Juan to embark on the cruise (if the cruise isn't outright cancelled in the first place). What are people doing who are leaving for Carnival cruises from San Juan? If we aren't able to get to the port, what happens next? I don't even know if the hotel I booked is still standing, so on the off chance I'm even able to get to San Juan, how are we supposed to know if we can stay anywhere?

I have travel insurance, but my fear is that Carnival may not cancel the cruise (are the ports even still open?)

I'm so sorry this happened to you on your first cruise ever! I wish you a favorable outcome. This has been an unprecedented hurricane season indeed, and nothing like I've experienced in cruising the Caribbean in 20+ years.

I agree with others that it is just too early for a definitive answer or to know what the port and airport situation will be a month from now. Considering they're saying the whole island has no power, I'd be very concerned just like you are.

If I were you, I'd be more concerned at this point with investigating what type of insurance was purchased, and what options that coverage offers. Knowing those details will help you prepare for future decisions based on factual information. If you have cancel for any reason type of insurance, you'll have more options.

I'm confused about their statement that they're going to see if they can dock in SJ this weekend, but then go on to say the dock will take several weeks to repair.

No, he says the terminal will take several weeks to repair. The terminal is the building next to the dock.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I am guessing they are trying to do a short term docking for local P.R. residents that embarked in San Juan can disembark if they so choose.

I'm confused about their statement that they're going to see if they can dock in SJ this weekend, but then go on to say the dock will take several weeks to repair.

They just had a major hurricane, P. R. Is in shambles. Give it a couple of weeks then ask. SMH

When Carnival knows THEY will let people know.

Yes it's a little bit of a rant, but seriously??????

Wow, I sure feel for the ship passengers, especially for the ones that do want to get off in San Juan.... can you imagine on a cruise and not knowing if you house is even standing?

We live on a barrier island... between Irma (who hit us -thankfully not to bad) and Maria it's been a very stressful couple of weeks for sure. Nothing like those poor people in the Carib though! Thoughts and prayers go out to them, I used to live on St. Thomas many years ago and live must horrid about right now.