Venice Peoplemover experience

john2003

We were in Venice on the Westerdam recently. Our group of six used the Peoplemover. It is a strange contraption but works. Really a horizontal ski gondola. Inconvenient as it can be a long walk from the ship.

My wife and I also used it on disembarkation day. We were catching an early train to Turin.

Sign said it started at 710 am. We arrived at 655 am after groping our way in the fog and were joined at the locked gate by another lady.

Around 705 it ground into action and an operator arrived on the train. He first opened the exit gate then the entry gate. We had bought our tickets the day before so we went straight to the elevator. As the door opened the train departed. The electronic sign said 24 mins for next train. Minor panic. After less than 15 mins it changed to 10 mins. Finally a train arrived.

Didn't seem right given direction of arrival but we got in for Piazza Roma. Suspicion was correct as it headed out the wrong way. Nothing to do but ride it back.

We were ok as we had left lots of time for our train but what a mess. The other lady was not so happy as she missed her excursion. She would have walked but it was unwise in the fog.

Hope this tale will help someone to avoid relying too much on this service.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

WOW, what a tale of woe. We have used the People Mover at least 20 times with no problems. On the other hand, we have never tried to use it at 7am! :). You are correct that its a pretty long walk from some of the cruise ship piers (the distance is very dependent on your docking location). Some cruise lines provide a free shuttle bus that moves between the ship's terminal and the People Mover...and other cruise lines do not provide this service. Not sure why walking in the fog is an issue, but it is a hike from a ship over to the Piazale Roma (we have done the walk quite a few times). Once the line is up and running (I guess this is after 7am) the trains generally run every 7-10 min. The entire operation is automated (monitored by numerous cameras) from the automated ticket machines to the automated (no driver) trains.

The People Mover is actually an overhead automated train, with multiple cars that run on tracks. It only has 3 stops which are the Piazale Roma, the Maritima Port (where the cruise ships are located) and at the nearby island of Tronchetto...which is essentially a large parking lot used by many who work in Venice. Not sure why you went the wrong direction and there are clear signs in the People Mover Station...and if one looks they can actually see the proper direction of Venice and the Piazale Roma.

The People Mover is a terrific transportation medium for those of us who want to get to and from the P. Roma where we can access the Vaporettos (water buses run by the ACTV company). I think the cost might now be 1.50€ which is a small price to save the extra 20-30 min to walk over the bridge to the P. Roma (we still walk late at night when the People Mover is no longer operating).

Hank

Thanks for the comments. I should clarify that I am not suggesting to avoid it, just be cautious about timing especially early in the morning.

Walking in the fog was an issue as one had to almost bump into the signage before seeing it.

It just doesnt run exactly like a train. It is cable driven like a ski lift or perhaps the San Francisco cable cars.

Agree the signs in the station are clear but they are electronic and they had them reversed. It was not just us that went the wrong way.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

WOW, what a tale of woe. We have used the People Mover at least 20 times with no problems. On the other hand, we have never tried to use it at 7am! :). You are correct that its a pretty long walk from some of the cruise ship piers (the distance is very dependent on your docking location). Some cruise lines provide a free shuttle bus that moves between the ship's terminal and the People Mover...and other cruise lines do not provide this service. Not sure why walking in the fog is an issue, but it is a hike from a ship over to the Piazale Roma (we have done the walk quite a few times). Once the line is up and running (I guess this is after 7am) the trains generally run every 7-10 min. The entire operation is automated (monitored by numerous cameras) from the automated ticket machines to the automated (no driver) trains.

The People Mover is actually an overhead automated train, with multiple cars that run on tracks. It only has 3 stops which are the Piazale Roma, the Maritima Port (where the cruise ships are located) and at the nearby island of Tronchetto...which is essentially a large parking lot used by many who work in Venice. Not sure why you went the wrong direction and there are clear signs in the People Mover Station...and if one looks they can actually see the proper direction of Venice and the Piazale Roma.

The People Mover is a terrific transportation medium for those of us who want to get to and from the P. Roma where we can access the Vaporettos (water buses run by the ACTV company). I think the cost might now be 1.50€ which is a small price to save the extra 20-30 min to walk over the bridge to the P. Roma (we still walk late at night when the People Mover is no longer operating).

Hank

Isn't it just 2 trains? I think it works like a flat funicular - they can run independently on their own cable. But, you can only have 1 train on each track. Funiculars are a great short-distance transportation system. Funiculars on on tracks under them, gondolas are on tracks above them. I used to ride a funicular to work!

Sorry, I will never understand why people willing to spend thousands of $$ to vacation and then save 45$ to comfort of taxi by the end.

The only taxis in Venice are water taxis I believe. I have not been yet but am planning to go.

The only taxis in Venice are water taxis I believe. I have not been yet but am planning to go.

You are correct - there are no land taxi services available in Venice for getting around the lagoon - only water taxis/water buses (vaporetto or Alilaguna). However, you can take a land taxi from Marco Polo airport to Piazzale Roma (in Venice, this is as far as taxis are allowed) or to the cruise port.

You can go on land taxi from airport to port no problem. cost is 45E . You can book it in advance and have driver wait for you . If you are not in rush Alilaguna boats is other great option .

We disembarked the Rhapsody at 6:30 this morning. Due to docking location, we decided to take a taxi from terminal 110 to P.Roma for 20 Euro. Very glad we did as it is a bit of a walk pulling luggage from terminal 110 to the people mover and then it may not have been open yet. We then took the Vaporetto #2 to Ferrovia train station. We did not want to pull our luggage over that bridge. Yes, people do it but we have enough trouble on flat ground. Worth the Euro's to use the water bus. From departing ship to being inside the train station was 32 minutes.