P & O secrets and top tips

rubydoobydoo

I have been looking for a secrets and tips thread but I can't find it, is there one already, if not it might be good to start one

Has anyone got any top tips to share, I know they won't stay secret for long but we won't tell anyone else promise, just things that you you have found out that we wouldn't obviously know about

Janis

Just a few that might not be known before you board

The first thing I do when I get to my cabin is check the pillow, I have trouble sleeping so I always ask for a feather pillow but they go quickly

I take an air freshener, the cabins and bathrooms are small, especially if you have an inside cabin, common sense really but I didn't think about it on my first cruise

The cabin steward will give you extra hangers if needed but again they go quickly

The cakes and snacks in Java on Azura are free, you only pay for the Costa coffee, I didn't realise that until a few days in, it soon became one of my favourite places

I would also take a 4 gang extension cable ... with all of our gadgets there are never enough sockets.

Keep a damp flannel with a few drops of lavender oil on your bedside table - it helps with aircon cough.

We always take at least a 2-gang extension.

I always take one of those towelling style hair wraps, for after i've washed my hair. Saves pestering the cabin steward for an extra towel, especially as unless you use the bath towel (tooooo big) they don't meet around your head anyway (I know it's a woman thing, but nothing worse than no towel to wrap around your hair after you've washed it in the shower)

If you like sun bathing on deck, get some of those huge 'clothes peg' style clips (you can get them from Lakeland Ltd) They keep your towel from slipping (or being blown) off your sun bed.

Lou

If you like a particular brand of coffee take some with you. We always do. Not tried P and O yet but the regular coffee on Princess and others is vile.

Second the air freshener one or plenty of deodorant.

You can buy those candles that are run by battery and look like t lights they are quite nice for on the balcony.

Not had decent coffee on a ship yet. Absolutely vile. I take my Lyons coffee bags with me and take that to the buffet.

Try CMV Discovery Jean - the very best coffee I have had on a ship!

Don't forget all your chargers for cameras, phones etc,. I also now always take a notebook (or a laptop/netbook) to keep a journal - it's great to read on the long winter cruise-less days! Also a seasickness remedy just in case and (for Europe) your EHIC card.

Good tips, it is great to share as there are so many things I don't think about until I am on the ship

I really missed the extra plug sockets on oceana a couple of weeks ago I completely forgot to take the power strip

Hopefully this thread will remind me as I can check it before I sail next time

There used to be a thread like this on the now defunct P&O community and we found it very useful before we cruised with P&O for the first time.

Can't think of many secrets off the top of my head except if you smile sweetly at your waiter he will bring you ice-cream with your pud every night....... but maybe that's just good for me because I am an ice-cream-aholic.

Tips include:

• The cabin walls are magnetic so board magnets are handy for putting up the daily Horizon/ dress code overview
  • If you drink bottled water, it's better to buy it ashore as P&O charges £10 for 6 bottles
  • P&O will check every day if you've got sufficient balance on your credit card account and if you usually max out your credit card beware! We know a couple of people who've come a cropper with this just before their monthly payment was due.
  • Take something with you to help your cases standout from the other 5000 that are in the baggage hall :D

Sure there's many more. Keep them coming!!

My secret to share about Azura

If you go to E Deck and walk towards the front of the ship - you come to the end of the corridor theres a door that leads to the bow area of the ship and its open to passengers ( depending on the weather )

Its great as not many people know about it and when you have an inside or outside cabin without a balcony its like a private balcony !!!

If you go to E Deck and walk towards the front of the ship - you come to the end of the corridor theres a door that leads to the bow area of the ship and its open to passengers ( depending on the weather )

Its great as not many people know about it and when you have an inside or outside cabin without a balcony its like a private balcony !!!

Thanks, I will check that out in October

Dont forget to pack your tropical shirts, especially if you are going to the caribbean. Party night is great fun.

If you haven't got one, then wait until you get to the caribbean, they have some wondeful shirts for men, and lovely sarongs for ladies at good prices.

Take some anti histamines too, I got bitten by some ants in St. Kitts and they were quite painful

My tip for location on Oceana especially if you are having an inside cabin is A deck, aft.

The door leads straight out onto a deck area that wasn't used much, very handy for the spa pool and bar too.

I used to go out there in the mornings for a cup of tea and it would be mainly empty, it was like having our own massive balcony, we even had a little party out there one night when most people were in bed.

If your going from Southampton, pop into home bargains (or similar) get two fridge packs of 10 diet coke about £3 each put in holdall and give to porter when he takes your case. Fits nicely in mini fridge in room.

That is the great thing about Southampton you can take your own drinks and nibbles just incase there isn't enough food on the ship !

It is nice to have these before dinner on the balcony with some music, we take wireless speakers with us, not too loud we don't want to disturb anyone

Actually we have never had a balcony on P and O unless you count the one on A deck but our travelling companions have so we use theirs

Is this door signed in any way? Would ventura have this being a sister ship?

Carhirer,

I`m sorry I forgot to mention that

Yes the door to the bow of the ship has a laminated sign saying "passengers access to the bow "

Make sure you turn left or you will end up in the crew area and they probably wont be pleased !!

I`ve also been on Ventura - you can also access the bow through that door or from the promenade deck there are stairs up to bow aswell

Here's a few of my tips - many probably already known, but perhaps worth a reminder! Happy cruising!

I've always slipped the Steward some cash at the start of the cruise (you can also opt out of auto-tips if you prefer). They are very good anyway, but this gesture is usually a good way to show your intentions and have even better service from them during the cruise. (Also useful for wine waiters too).

Don't forget Stilton is always available from the cheeseboard at dinner time, you just have to ask for it, it isn't offered automatically anymore.

If you like to use the Spa/have treatments, massages etc. These are usually quite well discounted or available in "bundle" deals towards the end of the cruise.

Depending on what ship you're on (and if you choose to do your own laundry - personally I just use it for ironing) everyone can seem to be wanting to iron at the same time, esp on formal evenings, men shirts etc. Travel irons and "ironing pads" from Amazon work well just to get rid of any creases in shirts etc.

In the unlikely event you have spare hangers, usually worthwhile removing them (or the hanger part) as with movement of the ship they can rattle around a lot at night.

Wardrobe, cupboard doors, or drawers, with rough weather, can cause them to open/shut in the night - blu tack is your friend in these cases!

Don't rush/bundle down to muster station before drill. It's fine to arrive just before it starts, and furthermore, you'll be at the back/entrance of the muster station in this case, and be able to leave quicker and more easily.

In the old days Stewards would ask your preferred time for a wake-up call and bring coffee/orange juice etc in the morning. That is no longer, but the coffee from room service is free and much nicer (real coffee) than the instant stuff in the cabin, and you can just order that instead.

When ordering drinks, particularly cocktails etc, there are sometimes small and large sizes, and on some ships, unless you specify (they don't ask), you'll automatically receive, and be charged for, a large.

When getting from one end of the ship to the other, on prom deck and the like, during busy times/eve etc, it is usually far quicker to just use the outside deck and walk along the ship and re-enter at the appropriate point.

Taking a photo of Horizon (prog/events for the day) in your tablet or smart can be quite handy.