PROS-CONS TO AFT? Seasickness factor

Pier290

Hi. We are already booked on Celebrity Equinox in April. Veranda at the very Aft of the ship....originally had Veranda in very front of ship but moved.

Thoughts? On deck 9. Extra large balcony at least. ...

Noisy? Movement? Crew space? !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

We usually always book aft facing balconies for the extra large balcony. None of us are prone to seasickness and we've never had any issues. The balconies aren't only great because they are large but there is a bar on the top deck and they have live music at night so we can sit out on our balcony and listen to the music.

If you are prone to seasickness, then you want a cabin in the middle of the ship on a lower deck.....where there is less movement.

Most don't actually know they are prone to seasickness, they just fear it. Without a doubt, cabins in the very front and very rear of the ship move more at all times. In calm seas, you hardly notice it..in rougher seas, you will feel the movement. Having said that, you will also feel the movement in heavy seas if you are in the middle of the ship....just less.

There are advantages to a rear facing cabin....the view being the most mentioned...a larger balcony in some cases. Some disadvantages too...sometimes you can find soot on the surfaces on a rear balcony...or the occasional piece of soot on you. Certainly, they are a longer walk to/from your cabin to the elevators if you are going anyplace on the ship.

No one can tell you if you will or will not get seasick in a rear cabin...but I can almost guarantee that if you think you might get seasick and there is any movement at all, you have a good chance of getting seasick....brought on by your thoughts more than the physical rocking.

If you are concerned about getting seasick, why don't you book a cabin towards the middle and spend some time on the top deck(s) sitting in the rear....then you'll know how you personally react to the movement of the ship for your next cruise.

Edited by ghstudio

I love the aft cabin balconies but I am a little prone to motion sickness - I hate travelling facing backwards on a train.

Motion wise, it depends on where the cruise is going - I wouldn't book it for something like a transatlantic but would for a Med cruise. HTH

Edited by soraya

"Extra large balcony?" Not on S-class. Only Sky Suite cabins have larger verandas. Do not expect M-class aft verandas. They're also not covered on any deck, except 11.

No noise. Movement was only noticeable in rough seas. Crew areas are limited to small utility closets.

"Extra large balcony?" Not on S-class. Only Sky Suite cabins have larger verandas. Do not expect M-class aft verandas. They're also not covered on any deck, except 11.

No noise. Movement was only noticeable in rough seas. Crew areas are limited to small utility closets.

There are 2 cabins on Decks 6 - 11 at the aft of the S class ships that have larger balconies. They are located in the center and are not suites. The cabins themselves are the normal size but because of a crew storage area the balconies are larger.

We have never had an aft balcony on Celebrity but had one on Carnival. It was larger and had 2 lounge chairs. We have never used our balcony as much as we did on that cruise. Every night we would lay out on our balcony and every morning we would have breakfast there. It is so peaceful and beautiful looking out at the wake. When the moon is shining on the water, there is nothing like it.

We liked it so much we have an aft booked on Celebrity Silhouette (this March) and on Summit (2018). We never noticed much soot or any excess motion.

You will love it!

we cruise aft always and on our very first caribbean cruise we both felt a little dodgy for an hour or so but after taking sea sickness tablets we were fine...since then we always go prepared and so far fine even on transatlantic crises. enjoy the aft cabin.

There are 2 cabins on Decks 6 - 11 at the aft of the S class ships that have larger balconies. They are located in the center and are not suites. The cabins themselves are the normal size but because of a crew storage area the balconies are larger.

We were in 1667, which was a S2 and had a 50% wider veranda, but no deeper. That's it on the S-class and I wouldn't classify it as "extra large."

I tried for middle cabin...all sold out in veranda. I'll bring Dramamine and a positive attitude ! That should help.

I also tend to get sea sick but love the aft cabins. I had a cabin at the very end on the port side on a cruise recently ... could really feel the movement as the seas were a bit angry. Since you already anticipate that you might be sensitive to the movement ... you've taken a great first step.

I also take 'sea bands' and wear them as a precaution in rough seas. I also take ginger tablets (in addition to Dramamine) and these work out famously. These can usually be found at your local drug store for around $5 each.

Also, ask for a basket of green apples for your room ...they are amazing for sea sickness. Don't drink a lot of liquids and get out on that balcony for a little fresh air, especially if you start feeling a little ill. I was so sick on one of my first cruises and found these cures ... now have sailed on 50 cruises since then, some at the very aft of the ship and have chosen the very front cabin on a cruise later this year. Best of luck and enjoy your cruise. Just remember, preventing sea sickness is so much better than trying to get over it.

We're off in a few months in our third aft-facing cabin in 9 months. We've had many aft-facing cabins/suites on many different lines. Although I don't get seasick, I'm very conscious of ship movement. Celebrity ships (both S-Class and M-Class) "ride" really smoothly compared to other cruise lines.

To me, most other cruise line ships feel like you're in a Cadillac - they feel "loose" and there's a lot of bouncing around in higher wind & waves. With Celebrity, it feels like you're in a sports car and the ship is hugging the waves and not being hit hard by the wind.

It's up to you to determine what you can, or cannot, handle. The more you cruise, the more you learn how you react to being on the sea. I will never take an aft-facing cabin on a Princess ship again, but I'll definitely take one on Celebrity or RCI. ;)

We usually always book aft facing balconies for the extra large balcony. None of us are prone to seasickness and we've never had any issues. The balconies aren't only great because they are large but there is a bar on the top deck and they have live music at night so we can sit out on our balcony and listen to the music.

Oh I like the idea of live music at night! Even more happy about our aft cabin on our upcoming cruise!

I will never take an aft-facing cabin on a Princess ship again, but I'll definitely take one on Celebrity or RCI. ;)

You've got that right. I have had many aft cabins on Princess and swear they are bouncing all over the place. One time, I was bitten so bad by bugs out in port but also fell down or was knocked into the walls or the railing on a Princess cruise. I swear, my DH kept on referring to me as nothing but 'bites and bruises'! I was covered. :D

I always note that Princess must not use their stabilizers. The ride is so much smoother on the S-class ships of Celebrity.

We were recently on RCI Explorer of the Seas, though ... and again, our cabin was all the way aft. We were really rocking and rolling back there.

We have always used scopalamine patches (advised and prescribed by doctor) which are NOT for everybody, depending on medical conditions, but have worked well for us. We don't actually know if either one of us gets seasick but would rather not pay $$$$ for a cruise just to find out that we are affected by the sea state. We have cruised calm Caribbean seas, choppy waters around Alaska, frisky transatlantic in May and most recently, an approach to Fort Lauderdale that had the clothes hangers skidding from one side of the closet to the other. Again, others use different successful remedies but 'the patch' is our choice regardless of cabin location.

Hi. We are already booked on Celebrity Equinox in April. Veranda at the very Aft of the ship....originally had Veranda in very front of ship but moved.

We have had aft balconies twice and never had a problem with seasickness.

Of course, even during a hurricane in the North Sea, with 40 ft. waves, we didn't have sea sickness.

Aft balconies are great for places like Alaska or cruise around the Horn of South America. Not so great, Singapore to Dubai with 95 + temps for an uncovered balcony.

We did an aft cabin on Silhouette a few years ago. We definitely felt more motion but nothing that bothered us. We didn't have any issues with soot as I have read about. My one issue was all the creaking. It wasn't one particular drawer or anything - it was just lots of creaky sounds from all over-guess from the motion or vibration. Don't get me wrong, it didn't ruin the cruise but I would think twice about an aft cabin again unless it had a mega balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You've got that right. I have had many aft cabins on Princess and swear they are bouncing all over the place. One time, I was bitten so bad by bugs out in port but also fell down or was knocked into the walls or the railing on a Princess cruise. I swear, my DH kept on referring to me as nothing but 'bites and bruises'! I was covered. :D

I always note that Princess must not use their stabilizers. The ride is so much smoother on the S-class ships of Celebrity.

We were recently on RCI Explorer of the Seas, though ... and again, our cabin was all the way aft. We were really rocking and rolling back there.

Believe me, Princess DOES use it's stabilizers. We just got back from a very rough sailing on the Star Princess (NOT in an aft cabin!). The captain said at least 3x that the stabilizers were deployed. Still, we were rolling all over the place with HUGE swells and big waves. We took Bonine as a precaution knowing that we were in for some nasty weather but neither of us needed it. They posted seasickness bags all over the ship for those that did need them. :eek:

Believe me, Princess DOES use it's stabilizers. We just got back from a very rough sailing on the Star Princess (NOT in an aft cabin!). The captain said at least 3x that the stabilizers were deployed. Still, we were rolling all over the place with HUGE swells and big waves. We took Bonine as a precaution knowing that we were in for some nasty weather but neither of us needed it. They posted seasickness bags all over the ship for those that did need them. :eek:

I actually was halfway joking (but just halfway ... hahaha!) ... but their ships certainly don't have the stability of the S Class ships. However, we were just up in Alaska on the Grand this past August. That itinerary usually has some pretty rough waters. I swear, there was nary a time when you could even tell you were on a ship ... smooth as could be. I went with my brother and sister in a law ... it was their first time. I told them they should go with us all the time if they were the ones that brought about those calm seas that we had experienced. Ohhhhh...they are spoiled now. I don't think that'll ever happen again. :D

Do not expect M-class aft verandas. They're also not covered on any deck, except 11.

Not quite sure I agree. On deck 11 they are totally covered (hope you don't like the sun!).

On other decks they are partially covered and offers enough privacy from other decks if you want that. They are really light and airy and real suntraps (if you like the sun!).

Cheers

Gerry

Edited by Gerrym