French Balcony vs. Veranda First Time Cruiser

1qwk1

I have read so many time not to waste my $ on the veranda room, but I am an early (3 or 4 a.m.) riser. I am thinking we will be cruising down the river and I would be able to drink coffee on my veranda. What times does the ship actually cruise down the river? Does it start cruising at 9 or 10 pm until 5? Does anyone know the averages? Thanks so much. Also, if you could share your thoughts on a veranda vs. French balcony.

Let me jump in quickly before you get the usual chorus of “ you don’t spend much time in your room anyway” responses.

We very much enjoy the ability to watch the world go by from our own balcony, whether it’s in the morning, after tours, before the afternoon briefing or at night after dinner.

It’s a personal preference thing, like most of the choices when cruising, so I don’t understand why this question always gets the “it’s common knowledge that a balcony is not worth it on the river” response.

But I do agree that if rafting becomes the norm in most ports, then the balcony has a bit less value, but certainly will never be useless.

Just sayin’...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Let me jump in quickly before you get the usual chorus of “ you don’t spend much time in your room anyway” responses.

We very much enjoy the ability to watch the world go by from our own balcony, whether it’s in the morning, after tours, before the afternoon briefing or at night after dinner.

It’s a personal preference thing, like most of the choices when cruising, so I don’t understand why this question always gets the “it’s common knowledge that a balcony is not worth it on the river” response.

But I do agree that if rafting becomes the norm in most ports, then the balcony has a bit less value, but certainly will never be useless.

Just sayin’...

Agree with everything you said - and if you are docked you can always go up top or you will be off the ship on excursions, etc. We always get a balcony and have never regretted it, in fact - some of the best photos we have taken have been early morning or at sunset from our cabin out the balcony door.

Cole

I agree with CILCIANRQTS! We loved our veranda cabin on Viking and booked the exact same one for our upcoming cruise.

We like it mostly for the extra room. We had a chair between the bed and the balcony door, and an extra set of drawers. On Viking the veranda rooms are the largest of the three categories that are not suites.

It is true that you don’t spend a lot of time in the room, but when I am there, I want to be comfy and we did use the outside space for coffee or a drink. I often went out late at night to take photos of lock transits.

It is a personal preference and a financial consideration, but we will always opt for a balcony.

Just take a look at the cabin sizes before you book. On Viking, the French veranda rooms are the smallest - as the hallways are off centre to accommodate the balcony.

On most of the other boats, the cabin sizes (except for suites) are usually quite similar. But, make sure that your square footage - if you opt for a cabin with a balcony - isn't including the balcony.

I wouldn't count on cruising every night at 3 or 4 am... depending on the itinerary, you may well be docked at that time. You can still sit up and enjoy a coffee (there is always a coffee machine in the lounge...) - but you may be docked and looking at the shore (and/or a balcony on another boat) at that time.

Fran

I just did a random price check on a Viking Romantic Danube cruise in May 2019. A veranda is only $200 more than a French balcony. I love my veranda and feel it would be $200 well spent.

It really is a very personal thing, we always have balconies on ocean cruises and wouldn't sail without one, we never take balconies on river cruises and have never missed not having one...

It up to each of us how we spend our own money though so enjoy your choice :)

On river cruises we want to see both sides of the river as we cruise. We are either up front by the bow, in a lounge at the stern, or top deck if it is open. Because of frequent rafting in ports, we don’t want a balcony.

On river cruises we want to see both sides of the river as we cruise. We are either up front by the bow, in a lounge at the stern, or top deck if it is open. Because of frequent rafting in ports, we don’t want a balcony.

In addition, it is very easy to get to one of those spots. There is much less distance to get anywhere on a river cruise ship.

What I can do with a French balcony that I can't do in any of those public spaces is ... enjoy the view while relaxing on my bed, or not fully clothed. After a hard day sightseeing, I want to collapse on my bed and enjoy the view. For that, a French balcony is worth the extra cost.

The French Balcony would work nicely for us because all we like to do is be able to step outside directly from our cabin from time to time quickly BUT do not enjoy actually sitting outside alone on our balcony. :)

You can't actually step outside from a French Balcony. You open the sliding door and there is a railing right behind it. You do your sitting or standing IN your room.

The French Balcony would work nicely for us because all we like to do is be able to step outside directly from our cabin from time to time quickly BUT do not enjoy actually sitting outside alone on our balcony. :)

You can't actually step outside from a French Balcony. You open the sliding door and there is a railing right behind it. You do your sitting or standing IN your room.

You can slip your toes under the railing (except on Scenic where there is solid glass) and stick your head out. You do get a nice fore-aft view and some fresh air that way.