Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

[quote name='shawn0518']Finally booked my hotel . I went with Hyatt Place . Does anyone know if they charge to transport to port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Yes, Hyatt Place charges for the port shuttle. A cab would be much more convenient and would only cost about $10-$15, depending on traffic, for the whole carload.

[quote name='Ctrinh225']If u r staying a few days before cruise....I recommend the little boutique hotels by the beach. We stayed at Tranquilo in November. The best I'm stayed at so far. From airport to hotel by cab is 10 minutes and under 20 bucks. From hotel to port was 15 bucks. Having a car is nice but no need. They have a shuttle service all day for 3 bucks and they bring u anywhere from las olas to beach or just cruise around areas. It was wonderful. The beach was one block away from hotel. We got a 2 bedroom suite for 120 with a small kitchenette. 2 brand new pools. Rooms were revonated to modern furniture and the cleanest place. We woke early to walk on the beach and got Starbucks 2 blocks away. I stayed the Hilton and Atlantic beach hotels that cost me an arm and leg. Yes they were nice but saving tons of money and got a better experience was Nicer. I know a lot of people on here like Embassy but my experience with them was horrible and will never go back. I'm booked again for April 2014. My family is also coming back in July 2014 but we wanted to try Marriot Pompano Beach. It's new and I hope to get reviews on that. If anyone stayed there I would like ur opinions. Thank u

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Were there good restaurants close by to the Tranquillo?? Going down next week for one night pre cruise.

Hello all,

Sorry if this is a repeated question or a silly question but:

If you arrive at the airport and take a taxi to the port, do they know where to go? I saw on the port website that there are 3 different entrances and multiple terminal buildings - how will the taxi know where to drop us off?

[quote name='justme665']Hello all,

Sorry if this is a repeated question or a silly question but:

If you arrive at the airport and take a taxi to the port, do they know where to go? I saw on the port website that there are 3 different entrances and multiple terminal buildings - how will the taxi know where to drop us off?[/QUOTE]

No need for you to worry about this. They will probably go to the closest entrance to the airport and then look for signs to your ship or ask the security guard at the gate house for directions. You just tell them you are going to the port and at some point they will ask you what ship you are going to.

Dumb question time:

My wife and I will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale many hours earlier than the 3pm check in time at our pre-cruise hotel (the Renaissance at Port Everglades). All of our prior cruises have been out of San Juan and there, the hotels we've stayed at have had no problem with storing our bags for us prior to check in so we could head out to explore, eat, etc. Will hotels in Fort Lauderdale do this?

[quote name='LivininPA']Were there good restaurants close by to the Tranquillo?? Going down next week for one night pre cruise.[/QUOTE]

I booked this for my November cruise... Could you please let us know if there is a drug store nearby to pick up wine? Or something similar...? Thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='LivininPA']Were there good restaurants close by to the Tranquillo?? Going down next week for one night pre cruise.[/QUOTE]

Yes. If u walk one block towards beach u r on a big strip of hotels and restaurants. Tranquilo will also give out a brochure of all restaurants...bars...convenience stores....etc. they have a little shuttle that picks u up at the hotel and take u anywhere around. We did a mini tour on our way to Los Olas blvd. It was amazing watching yatchs/boats parked in front of the homes. Have fun and be safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='Ctrinh225']Yes. If u walk one block towards beach u r on a big strip of hotels and restaurants. Tranquilo will also give out a brochure of all restaurants...bars...convenience stores....etc. they have a little shuttle that picks u up at the hotel and take u anywhere around. We did a mini tour on our way to Los Olas blvd. It was amazing watching yatchs/boats parked in front of the homes. Have fun and be safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Looking into it--Thanks

Dumb question time:

My wife and I will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale many hours earlier than the 3pm check in time at our pre-cruise hotel (the Renaissance at Port Everglades). All of our prior cruises have been out of San Juan and there, the hotels we've stayed at have had no problem with storing our bags for us prior to check in so we could head out to explore, eat, etc. Will hotels in Fort Lauderdale do this?

I've never heard of a big hotel not willing to store your luggage, but you could call the hotel to be sure. In Florida, I've always been lucky and was able to check into the rooms whenever I wanted. Hotels will also usually be willing to hold your luggage on check out day if you want to hang around until later.

Edited by royalcruz

Were there good restaurants close by to the Tranquillo?? Going down next week for one night pre cruise.

There are a few places you can walk to easily from Tranquillo, and if you walk much further south you can reach the better places. Probably the most popular restaurants in that area are Plaza Bistro and Primante's Pizza.

I've never heard of a big hotel not willing to store your luggage, but you could call the hotel to be sure. In Florida, I've always been lucky and was able to check into the rooms whenever I wanted. Hotels will also usually be willing to hold your luggage on check out day if you want to hang around until later.

Thanks very much for the reply. Very much appreciated.

I just happened to stumble upon the ship schedule for Ft. Lauderdale on our departure date and it says there are 4 ships scheduled to depart on Nov. 8th. Now that's a lot of people right? So how early should I make plane, hotel, rental car reservations? I don't want to do it too early and definitely don't want to wait too late. So, my question is, how early would you reserve hotel, airline and car rental if your cruise is in November? :eek:

thinking about a cruise later this month - in & out of FLL, return flight @ 8-ish pm. Are there any hotels in the city that offer a "day pass" for use of pool and/or beach? Found one in Miami when i had a similar situation. thanks for any info.

I just happened to stumble upon the ship schedule for Ft. Lauderdale on our departure date and it says there are 4 ships scheduled to depart on Nov. 8th. Now that's a lot of people right? So how early should I make plane, hotel, rental car reservations? I don't want to do it too early and definitely don't want to wait too late. So, my question is, how early would you reserve hotel, airline and car rental if your cruise is in November? :eek:

Hi,:) if you find a price for a flight you are happy with right now I would

go ahead and book it. You never know what kind up and down will

happen with airlines, that is for sure.

As for hotels? In my opinion, you have time to wait, again, unless you

find a price for a room you are happy with:)

As for how many people are in port? 4 ships? Not bad at all really.

There are some weekends with double that amount...now THAT is

alot of people:eek:

Hi,:) if you find a price for a flight you are happy with right now I would

go ahead and book it. You never know what kind up and down will

happen with airlines, that is for sure.

As for hotels? In my opinion, you have time to wait, again, unless you

find a price for a room you are happy with:)

As for how many people are in port? 4 ships? Not bad at all really.

There are some weekends with double that amount...now THAT is

alot of people:eek:

Thanks for answering Lois, you have put my mind @ ease. I have a friend who is a TA and was planning on having her do all the arrangements (air,hotel,car) for me sometime in April / May. Wow..six ships in port @ one time? Amazing! :eek:

Thanks for answering Lois, you have put my mind @ ease. I have a friend who is a TA and was planning on having her do all the arrangements (air,hotel,car) for me sometime in April / May. Wow..six ships in port @ one time? Amazing! :eek:

Hi,:D double that amount would be 8 ships,:eek: not 6;).....just to make

you aware, Saturdays and Sundays are ALWAYS busy in FLL.......

I would book flights whenever I found a price that looks good.

Rental cars and hotels don't have to be paid for in advance, so just check every once in a while and book what looks like a good price, as you can cancel and rebook if a better deal comes along.

I thought I read somewhere on here that there is a marathon in FLL 2/15/14, is that correct?

We are disembarking the Breeze that day and had planned to take the shuttle from POM to a hotel on the water taxi route, have a nice lunch somewhere to kill some time before we head to FLL for a late afternoon flight.

Should I keep that plan, or are we better off staying in Miami to avoid the marathon? Or is the marathon in a different area so we won't be affected by it at all?

Don't want to end vacation full of stress...

Thanks!

I thought I read somewhere on here that there is a marathon in FLL 2/15/14, is that correct?

We are disembarking the Breeze that day and had planned to take the shuttle from POM to a hotel on the water taxi route, have a nice lunch somewhere to kill some time before we head to FLL for a late afternoon flight.

Should I keep that plan, or are we better off staying in Miami to avoid the marathon? Or is the marathon in a different area so we won't be affected by it at all?

Don't want to end vacation full of stress...

Thanks!

The Publix Ft Lauderdale A1A Marathon is 2/16/14.

thinking about a cruise later this month - in & out of FLL, return flight @ 8-ish pm. Are there any hotels in the city that offer a "day pass" for use of pool and/or beach? Found one in Miami when i had a similar situation. thanks for any info.

The Rodeway Inn & Suites offers a day pass, and I think you even get a room for the time you are there. They have shuttles to and from the port and the airport. I think last year the day pass was about $45. The hotel isn't anything fancy, and they are not near the beach, but it beats hanging around the airport for several hours.:eek:

Hi,:D double that amount would be 8 ships,:eek: not 6;).....just to make

you aware, Saturdays and Sundays are ALWAYS busy in FLL.......

Thanks for catching that error! :oEither way, that's a lot of people in a small area. I know my cruise is many, many months away but like everyone else, I want if NOW! Thanks for you assistance in answering my question. :)

I am trying to decide if we should stay at Embassy Suites on 17th street or Courtyard Marriott Ft. Lauderdale Beach for a 3 night pre-cruise stay in March. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn down the street from Embassy and it was fine...but I liked the location of Embassy Suites better as it was much closer to grocery store and it also has a nice looking pool. The Sun Trolley is also nearby to go to the beach of we want to walk around.

The Courtyard sounds nice as well and is right on the beach if I understand correctly. Does anyone know if there is a grocery store or Walgreen's or something like that nearby to purchase soda and stuff to take on ship? Are the places to go for dinner nearby as well? Not sure if in March the water at beach will be warm enough to swim in anyways.

Any opinions would be appreciated as I am not familiar with the Courtyard Marriott at all.

Thanks!