First time Cruiser...Dining options question on Carnival

travelmomof2

Hi, first time cruise coming up at Christmas on the Carnival Vista. I have reviewed the dining options so I see that there are some restaurants we can purchase extra to dine at or choose to go with the included dining room and a few other places. We have an 'open' dining time of 6-9pm or something like that...I assume that means we don't have the assigned seating and wait staff like someone had told me is the norm on ships? Also, is the extra charge for some dining places worth it for a family? (Or maybe we can go for the steakhouse while the kids go get pizza?)

And are the midnight dessert buffets talked about during my 1980's youth still a thing?

Just trying to wrap my head around the dining experience...I am a total newbie!

We have an 'open' dining time of 6-9pm or something like that...I assume that means we don't have the assigned seating and wait staff like someone had told me is the norm on ships? You have "Your Time Dining". You won't be seated at the same table each night and won't have the same waitstaff, unless you request them each evening...and that could add to any wait there may be. It's like a restaurant. You show up for dinner. You'll be seated right away if there is a table available. If not, you're given a pager and you'll wait a bit.

Also, is the extra charge for some dining places worth it for a family? (Or maybe we can go for the steakhouse while the kids go get pizza?) Only you can answer this. My opinion, and mine only, is that the Steakhouse is not suitable for smaller kids who would not enjoy a 2-hour dining experience. The Chef's Table is absolutely not worth it for kids. I can't speak for other pay dining venues. That being said, we've had good service meals and service in the MDR.

And are the midnight dessert buffets talked about during my 1980's youth still a thing? No. Seems food waste was a driving factor...or so we're told.

If u would like assigned dining!! I would suggest going on wait list.??We also e mailed maitre de & got assigned dining . We have never done specialty dining because we r satisfied with MDR menu . There r numerous options on the menu & if u don't like something U can order another entree. However lobster is no longer offered . Even on formal

Nite . You can order off the MDR menu for extra$$$ surf & turf No more midnite buffets . They have occ specialty buffet late @ nite . Watch the daily newspaper

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have an 'open' dining time of 6-9pm or something like that...I assume that means we don't have the assigned seating and wait staff like someone had told me is the norm on ships? You have "Your Time Dining". You won't be seated at the same table each night and won't have the same waitstaff, unless you request them each evening...and that could add to any wait there may be. It's like a restaurant. You show up for dinner. You'll be seated right away if there is a table available. If not, you're given a pager and you'll wait a bit.

Also, is the extra charge for some dining places worth it for a family? (Or maybe we can go for the steakhouse while the kids go get pizza?) Only you can answer this. My opinion, and mine only, is that the Steakhouse is not suitable for smaller kids who would not enjoy a 2-hour dining experience. The Chef's Table is absolutely not worth it for kids. I can't speak for other pay dining venues. That being said, we've had good service meals and service in the MDR.

And are the midnight dessert buffets talked about during my 1980's youth still a thing? No. Seems food waste was a driving factor...or so we're told.

I don't feel there was that much of a waste, more like Carnival figured a way to save money ;p by not offering it .

Hi, first time cruise coming up at Christmas on the Carnival Vista. I have reviewed the dining options so I see that there are some restaurants we can purchase extra to dine at or choose to go with the included dining room and a few other places. We have an 'open' dining time of 6-9pm or something like that...I assume that means we don't have the assigned seating and wait staff like someone had told me is the norm on ships? Also, is the extra charge for some dining places worth it for a family? (Or maybe we can go for the steakhouse while the kids go get pizza?)

If you don't want YTD, then ask you PVP or TA to switch you to confirmed early or late dining. That way, you'll have assigned seating and wait staff. In our opinion, those folks are part of the reason we cruise, and we always develop a bond with our servers during the week.

Steakhouse up charge is $35/pp and well worth it. Make a reservation now. Usually the first night for us.

Pizza is on very back (aft) of ship on Lido (deck 9) typically. Be ready for a line though.

And are the midnight dessert buffets talked about during my 1980's youth still a thing?

Ahhh, one of the things we miss, although eating that late is never a good thing! But the presentation was amazing!!

This was on our first cruise back in 2005. We cruised again in late 2006 but either don't remember them having it or was too tired to care. When we returned to Carnival in 2015, it was gone.

We always do YTD. We always have the same table/staff each night because we ask for them if we like them. They get to know us just as if we had assigned time dining. YTD is like going to a restaurant on land. You are seated when you arrive and you can always ask for the section or table that you prefer. IF you don't like your servers the first night then ask for a different section the next night. IF you like your servers then keep asking for the same area. It is not a problem at all.

We have an 'open' dining time of 6-9pm or something like that...I assume that means we don't have the assigned seating and wait staff like someone had told me is the norm on ships?
There is a choice between assigned seating (same time, table, waitstaff every night) or Your Time Dining which works more like a restaurant on land. Simply show up when you are ready at any point during the open hours and you will be seated on a first-come first-served basis. If you have a waitstaff that you love, you can ask for them on subsequent nights.

Also, is the extra charge for some dining places worth it for a family? (Or maybe we can go for the steakhouse while the kids go get pizza?)
I can't answer that. We have always been happy with the MDR food, so have never felt the need to try the steakhouse.

Not so much any more. They used to do elaborate midnight buffets, but those has long gone by the wayside. They will have an occasional late night buffet. If they do, it will be noted in your Fun Times.

Relax. You're going on vacation. Honestly, we love YTD for that reason. We go when we are ready without having to worry about being shut out because we are late, or eating a time that is simply too late for us. I think that with kids, you'll prefer it.

I’m going to second the not taking small kids to the steak house. Mostly because it is a longer dinner. Whether it’s worth it to you, is subjective. If budget is an issue, there should be plenty of food on the ship that you never have to pay extra.

Also, you may know this but some people don’t, you can get multiple things when you are in the dining room. Can’t decide between things? Get them all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just trying to wrap my head around the dining experience...I am a total newbie!

Although you do not have an assigned dining time, table or crew- if you choose, you can request to be sat in the same team's section each night if you really like them. And- carnival did away with the midnight buffets several years ago.

Enjoy! A Christmas cruise sounds very nice.

Hi, first time cruise coming up at Christmas on the Carnival Vista. I have reviewed the dining options so I see that there are some restaurants we can purchase extra to dine at or choose to go with the included dining room and a few other places. We have an 'open' dining time of 6-9pm or something like that...I assume that means we don't have the assigned seating and wait staff like someone had told me is the norm on ships? Traditional dining has an assigned time, the same time each night with the same wait staff and table companions. Most lines also offer an experience more like a restaurant on land with the name varying by line (my time, anytime, your time, etc.). I advise sticking with anytime dining for your first cruise since it offers more flexibility. If you mesh well with your servers you can request their section on future nights. If you switch to traditional seating it is courtesy to let your table mates (if a larger table than just your family) and your servers know if you won't be there so they aren't waiting for you. Also, is the extra charge for some dining places worth it for a family? (Or maybe we can go for the steakhouse while the kids go get pizza?) We have tried specialty dining on two cruises and were not impressed for the price. We just got back from a cruise where we had a specialty meal (along the lines of Chef's table) that was totally worth it. Depending on your children's ages and temperaments they may enjoy the special meals with you but might enjoy a break from Mom & Dad too.;)

And are the midnight dessert buffets talked about during my 1980's youth still a thing? We have been cruising since 2012 and haven't seen one yet. I think it might be offered sometimes on the longer Journey's cruises.

Just trying to wrap my head around the dining experience...I am a total newbie! Feel free to order as much or as little as you want in the MDR. You can have multiple appetizers, entrees, and desserts, or none if none appeal. My husband and I still usually will each get something different and split so we don't risk wasting (but get our own shrimp cocktail).

Iced tea, hot tea, coffee, and water are included with meals. Soda drinks, juices (included with breakfast), and specialty drinks have an charge unless you have a beverage package.

If nothing looks good on the main menu, you can request the children's menu (and children can order from the grown-up menu).

Your other questions have been answered, but let me give you the straight dope on one of them...

are the midnight dessert buffets talked about during my 1980's youth still a thing?

The Journeys cruises have a midnight buffet set up for one night. I've heard of late night Mexican buffets on one night of other cruises.

The Journeys cruises have a midnight buffet set up for one night. I've heard of late night Mexican buffets on one night of other cruises.

Well that's cool. Didn't know that. Sure liked going to it many years ago. We're doing a Journey's cruise to Hawaii in 2019, so something else to look forward to!