Elation random question

cruisedreamin-gang

Carnival Elation is listed in ships registries as having a 31 or 36 meter beam (the width of a ship.) This is either 102 or 118 ft wide. I suppose either could be correct. However never believe what you read. Carnival Splendor is listed on one travel agency site as having a 380 ft beam!

It looks to be 103 feet at its widest place which would be the aft. Now this of course could be a general measurement being used for all Fantasy Class ships. The class did undergo structural changes as the class of ships progressed so it might be slightly different.

Carnival Elation is listed in ships registries as having a 31 or 36 meter beam (the width of a ship.) This is either 102 or 118 ft wide. I suppose either could be correct. However never believe what you read. Carnival Splendor is listed on one travel agency site as having a 380 ft beam!

Both are correct. The part that sits at the waterline (the part that matters to the canal locks) is narrower than the part above where the newer balconies were added. They stick out and make the ship wider up top.

When people speak of a ship's beam, they are probably talking about the waterline measurement. However, if you are towing a large boat down the highway, the beam would be considered the absolute widest point. I don't think anyone is going to be towing the Elation down the road though.