Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:43 AM.
1,581 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by mellon1
We also got ours. I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like what you are talking about and what the changes are if you apply it to your credit card balance and not a Princess cruise.

Has anyone called Barclay?
We received ours this afternoon and am very confused so I called Barclays. To make it short after the round about, the agent told me that there are others that are confused and they will send a simpler explanation by mail or email.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
6,074 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by paiagirl
We received ours this afternoon and am very confused so I called Barclays. To make it short after the round about, the agent told me that there are others that are confused and they will send a simpler explanation by mail or email.
They better hurry up. I'm sure people are already shopping around for better deals.....like this one.
Of course you can't get the cash back in the form of on board credit but who really cares...it's cash.
Unless I'm reading their terms wrong it appears to be better than the Princess CC.
New York
8,478 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I agree the brochure is very confusing but I am sure that the points do NOT expire. The business about 180 days is to get the double redemption value -- for that you need a Princess purchase within the last 180 days; if you have that, you can pair your point redemption to that purchase and get 2% rather than 1% for your points. I was planning to redeem 5,000 points for a $50 OBC on my upcoming Princess cruise. Now I will wait until final payment, put the entire cruise cost on the Princess credit card, and then use the points earned against that cruise charge. If the timing works out, I should be able to do this before paying for the cruise charge. Since I'll get 2x points for making the charge, and collect them as 2% statement credit -- I will get a 4% discount on the cruise. I still say this is a good deal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
137 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
So I have 38,000 points on my Princess credit card. I cruised with Princess on the Grand in late August 2016. I charged $6,000 to the credit card for the cruise.

Do I redeem 3,000 points to get the 2x statement credit which will pay for the cruise?

Or do I redeem 6,000 points?

Or is it something else?
287 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
I agree the brochure is very confusing but I am sure that the points do NOT expire. The business about 180 days is to get the double redemption value -- for that you need a Princess purchase within the last 180 days; if you have that, you can pair your point redemption to that purchase and get 2% rather than 1% for your points. I was planning to redeem 5,000 points for a $50 OBC on my upcoming Princess cruise. Now I will wait until final payment, put the entire cruise cost on the Princess credit card, and then use the points earned against that cruise charge. If the timing works out, I should be able to do this before paying for the cruise charge. Since I'll get 2x points for making the charge, and collect them as 2% statement credit -- I will get a 4% discount on the cruise. I still say this is a good deal.

So host, why can't other country's citizens avail themselves of these benefits, by being able to acquire a Princess Visa card?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
New York
8,478 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Mr Princess
So host, why can't other country's citizens avail themselves of these benefits, by being able to acquire a Princess Visa card?
I don't even know why you can't avail yourselves of US-based cruise specials – and you think I run the banking industry??? Seriously, I do know that the banking industry is regulated very tightly at the country level. [Let's not get into a political discussion about whether it is regulated tightly enough...] So it's no surprise that credit card offers are country-specific.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
New York
8,478 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by knotgillty
So I have 38,000 points on my Princess credit card. I cruised with Princess on the Grand in late August 2016. I charged $6,000 to the credit card for the cruise. Do I redeem 3,000 points to get the 2x statement credit which will pay for the cruise? Or do I redeem 6,000 points? Or is it something else?
OK, with the disclaimer that I may be totally off base here, my understanding of how this will work is the following: You charged $6,000 for a Princess cruise, which gets you 2x points or 12,000. At the normal 1% redemption rate that would give you a $120 statement credit. But since you had a Princess purchase in the last 180 days for more than $4,000 you can get a 2% redemption rate -- therefore your 12,000 points can be redeemed for $240. You spent $6,000; you get $240 back -- that's 4%.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Booked:

Completed:
Capital District of NY
1,283 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
OK, with the disclaimer that I may be totally off base here, my understanding of how this will work is the following: You charged $6,000 for a Princess cruise, which gets you 2x points or 12,000. At the normal 1% redemption rate that would give you a $120 statement credit. But since you had a Princess purchase in the last 180 days for more than $4,000 you can get a 2% redemption rate -- therefore your 12,000 points can be redeemed for $240. You spent $6,000; you get $240 back -- that's 4%.
I hope you're right.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Breakaway March 2018
Regal Princess Canada and New England September 2017
Coral Princess Alaska July 2017
NCL Breakaway March 2017
NCL Breakaway March 2016
NCL Breakaway March 2015
NCL Breakaway March 2014
Crown Princess Norwegian Fjords August 2013
NCL Jewel Bahamas, Florida March 2013
Golden Princess Alaska August 2012
NCL Gem Florida, Bahamas March 2012
Crown Princess British Isles August 2011
NCL Jewel Bahamas March 2011
Royal Princess 14 Day Alaska 2010
Emerald Princess Europe 2007
Maasdam New England 2006
Diamond Princess Alaska 2005
Diamond Princess Alaska 2004
American Cruise Lines Hawaii 2001
League City, TX
40,115 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by PescadoAmarillo
We just received our updated Reward Rules in today's mail. They are written in a very complicated manner (and DH and I have Finance backgrounds) and we've just spent an hour trying to figure it all out. Most confusing is that Points are discussed but the enclosed table only shows Dollars. I'm still confused about that.

My interpretation of these changes are that they are very bad. First, Princess purchases used to always bring 2 points per dollar, plus a bonus over 40000 points. No longer. No. You still earn 2 points per dollar on Princess purchases. You also can now earn 2 points per dollar for purchases on all other CCL Corp cruise lines.

Now the 2 points per dollar requires at least $4001 in purchases in the prior 180 days. $4000 or less in purchases offer 1.5 points or less. A minimum of 5000 points is required to redeem the minimum $50 reward (this is the part that confuses us...points vs. dollars). This is only if you are redeeming points as a payment towards appropriate charges to the credit card.

The changes having a negative impact:
- the 180 day look back for purchases. Redeem within 180 days or lose the points. Don't have 5000 points to redeem? Lose the points. No. You do not lose the points. They just cannot be used to apply to a past charge on the credit card that is older than 180 days. They can still be used for redemption for future Princess cruises such as OBC, Spa treatment, etc. or for appropriate charges within the last 180 days when you do choose to redeem once you have 5000 points.
- the $50 redemption increment. While the new terms specifically state that 5000 points bring a $50 reward (which, again, we can't reconcile to what is stated in the table in the document), if one has 7850 points, one can only redeem 5000 of them. Then, either use the card to get the points up to 5000 again within 180 days, or lose them altogether.

We had 18750 points yet to redeem. We just today redeemed 10000 of them for $100, under the existing terms. Before 11/1, we will purchase another $1300 from Princess (either FCCs or onboard spending) and immediately redeem another 10000 points. Since we use the card only for Princess purchases, it may not make sense for us to use it at all in the future. That's too bad, as we used to get $500-$1000 back every year on our Princess purchases. And you still can. All this confusing stuff is if you are applying points to appropriate purchases made in the preceding 180 days.

If anyone else has a different interpretation of the confusing new terms, please discuss it here. I want to believe it's not as bad as it seems, but I remain unconvinced that any credit card company really does want to make its terms more advantageous for its customers.

ETA: Also, the 2x points are only on Princess purchases. Points can be redeemed for any CCL brand cruise...but only at 1%. We get at least that much on our other credit cards. You will earn 2% in points when you use the card to make purchases on other CCL Corp brands. However if you redeem the points for a puchase made in the preceding 180 days, you can only get more than 1% if it was for a Princess brand purchase.
See above in red.

To summarize:

o You still will earn 2% in points for Princess purchases.

o You will now be able to earn 2% in points for other CCL Corp purchases.

o You can still redeem points for Princess cruise items (such as OBC) just as in the past.

o If you redeem points to apply to Princess Purchases that were made in the 180 days prior to redemption, you can get a bonus so that the amount applied will be greater than 100 points/dollar. How much greater depends on the amount of the Princess purchases.
League City, TX
40,115 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by knotgillty
So I have 38,000 points on my Princess credit card. I cruised with Princess on the Grand in late August 2016. I charged $6,000 to the credit card for the cruise.

Do I redeem 3,000 points to get the 2x statement credit which will pay for the cruise?

Or do I redeem 6,000 points?

Or is it something else?
To get more than 1% when applying points to a Princess purchase within the previous 180 days, you need to have had Princess purchases $500 or greater and the $6000 cruise charge qualifies.

To fully pay for a $6000 cruise, you would need to redeem 300,000 points.
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,786 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
If I have the new system figured out correctly, statement chargecard credits are available in increments of $50 and:

10,000 points were previously $100 (1%) for a chargecard statement credit against my balance.

Now when making a Princess purchase such as $3,000 within 180 days of redemption the amount would then be a $150 (1.50% by being between $2,001-$4,000.99) chargecard statement credit against my balance.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
6,074 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
My understanding of this is becoming somewhat clearer as people post and from what I now understand is that things have only changed (as far as doubling the Princess charges) is that if I wait more than 180 days trying to build up points, my older points my older points can only be redeemed at 1% -not 2 % even though they were obtained by a charge of my cruise to Princess.

If I redeem my points before the 6 month period basically nothing has changed but if I wait longer (which I recently started to do) the Princess card offers no advantage over some other banks credit cards which give 2 % with no string attached.
10,855 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Caribill, thanks for your explanation. I appreciate this dialogue in the absence of clairification from Barclay. We are leaving soon and I am debating whether or not to change our on board spending card to something other than the Princess Visa.

Re-reading the Princess Reward Rules brochure with fresh eyes and brain this morning I think I do understand the points vs. Princess spending difference. But, as FloridaLover says, if the points are not used within 180 days, they actually have less value than other 'cash back' credit cards where points roll forward in perpetuity until they build to a redemptive level.

So I still maintain these changes are not an improvement...overall.

First, I read that 2 points per dollar spent are only for Princess Cruise Lines purchases, not other CCL purchases.

Second, by limiting redemptions to 180 days for Princess purchases, and to $50 increments, points earned by Princess Cruise Lines purchases over and above what can be redeemed basically become less valuable, as they are only good toward gift cards and merchandise, neither of which is a good as plain old 1% back cash cards. I don't even see OBC as an option any longer.

I think that, carefully used, in limited circumstances, the new terms could yield a greater payback. But much is lost in return, and am not sure I want the burden of making sure that we maximize the payback while at the same time not losing the cash value of points earned.

And what is an 'appropriate purchase'? I'm still scratching my head over that term.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1203 days ~ 121 cruises ~ 29 ships ~ 20 years ~ 6 continents ~ 5 cruise lines
1 happy cruiser!!
My travel diary from Winters spent at sea:
Southern California
3,548 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Yikes I'm super confused. We have used the card since it came out...use it for everything and have cashed in thousands of points. Used to always get OBC....but figured out I would rather have $$ off my bill which helps pay for cruise, air, etc. plus when you spend $$ on the ship, you get more double points again....so that is still my plan.

I have not received a mailing or email...but CC is usually the best resource for updates anyway..thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

LAST FEW CRUISES
Queen Mary 2 - TA July 2017
Pacific Princess TA/Norwegian Fjords June 2017
Royal Princess Southern Carribean Nov 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam Malt Shop Memories Oct 2016
Crown Princess Calif Coastal Sept 2016
American Queen - Mississipi River Cruise March 2016
Celebrity Constellation - TA Nov 2015

TOTAL CRUISES: 59 AND COUNTING....
Washington State
225 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
I received the mailing but hadn't opened it until I read this thread. It is in a plain white envelope. Almost threw it out! Reading the posts here has been very helpful. I am wondering it is still possible to save points to use for OBC which are good for 5 years as it states currently. i understand the redemption value towards a past princess purchase is greater.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4/17 Royal Princess - Transatlantic
11/16 Star Princess-Mexico & Sea of Cortez
2/16 Regal Princess-Caribbean B2B
2/15 Royal Princess-Eastern Caribbean
7/14 Golden Princess-Alaska, Glacier Bay
4/14 Celebrity Reflection-Transatlantic
2/14 Sapphire Princess-Mexico
11/12 Grand Princess-Transatlantic
2/12 Pride of America-Hawaii
7/11 Sapphire Princess-Alaska, Tracy Arm
2/11 Coral Princess-Panama Canal
5/10 Celebrity Constellation-Baltics
1/10 Mariner of the Seas-Mexico
10/08 Navigator of the Seas-E. Mediterranean
3/05 Explorer of the Seas-E. Caribbean
2/03 Voyager of the Seas-W. Caribbean
9/98 Royal Olympic-Greek Islands
18,786 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by killineybay
I am wondering it is still possible to save points to use for OBC which are good for 5 years as it states currently.
In the new Princess Reward Rules (effective on 11/9/16) under "Important information about points" it states "As long as your Account remains open, active, and in good standing, your Points will not expire".

Under "Program administration" an account is not "in good standing" when there's "no balance, no payments, and no transactions" during a 7 billing cycles period of time.

I recall the current 5 year time limit to use points however unless I missed it somewhere else, under the new rules as long as we have some activity within 7 billing cycles then "your Points will not expire". It also appears that without any activity during 7 billing cycles that points will expire which is worse than currently where we have 5 years after earning points to redeem them.

I think this big change should be clearly stated in their letter and/or their pamphlet they sent without having to scrutinize all of the details in the terms & conditions fine print.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
6,074 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by PescadoAmarillo
So I still maintain these changes are not an improvement...overall.
This has become much to complicated for my simple lifestyle.
They also have the nerve to imply that these changes make it even more rewarding to have their credit card.
Talk about spin !
18,786 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by floridalover5623
This has become much to complicated for my simple lifestyle.
They also have the nerve to imply that these changes make it even more rewarding to have their credit card.
Talk about spin !
I agree that they've made their procedures more complicated & they didn't do a good job explaining their new procedure. I only redeem points for chargecard credits so haven't explored if the other redemption options have changed.

It appears that for anyone who has made over $500 in Princess purchases within 180 days before redemption the credit rate is improved from 1% to as much as 2%. They've also added a 5,000 points chargecard credit which previously began at 10,000 points. They've also extended the chargecard credit redemption option to purchases made on other CCL companies & airline purchases at a 1% rate which is also a new benefit.

As I recall previously to get a chargecard credit we needed to have made a recent Princess purchase which is now defined as being made within 180 days.

They tout those changes but not what appears to be a negative change for people like me who no longer use it for all of my purchases...apparently losing points if there's no activity during 7 billing cycles. We now use an airline chargecard which works better for us & will have to use the Princess Visa at least every 7 billing cycles so those points don't expire.

We're all attempting to figure out the changes which could be either good or bad for each of us.