Princess Credit Card Enhancements

Host Jazzbeau

For earning points the notice says: "Earn 2x points for every $1 spent on Princess Cruises and other World's Leading Cruise Lines purchases - including cruise bookings, onboard amenities and more." So this applies to all CCL owned cruise companies.

For redeeming points for more than 1% value, this only applies to Princess charges.

We received three separate pieces of paper in an envelope from Barclay Thursday afternoon. Each of them states that we earn "Two points for every one US dollar of Net Purchases from Princess Cruise Lines" and "One point per net dollar spent on all other Net Purchases". Given how this has been rolled out, I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see that you received something different than we did.

This new program may have some value when paying final payments for several B2B cruises, but I am not certain it is worth the headache of maximizing the points redemption value while ensuring no points exist beyond that which would not be redeemable for a statement credit. We'd really rather have a statement credit in lieu of using Loyalty Edge on BarclayCardUS.com for our travel arrangements or getting a gift card or merchandise.

I'm sure this will all be made clear in the near future; unfortunately, it won't be near enough for our personal purposes. I know that the on board spending for our upcoming cruises will not total $2500, or 5000 points, which is the minimum level that can be redeemed. This means that any points we would earn would eventually fall into the "Travel Redemptions' or "Gift Cards/Certificates and Merchandise Redemptions", and, again, those hold little interest. I have to make a decision today and have decided to maximize our credit with the current system for the first of our B2B cruises, and change to a different credit card for subsequent cruises.

For us, the timing of this rollout was not the best. C'est la vie.

Thanks, it's beginning to make more sense but as I now see it accumulating Princess points from past cruises more than 180 day prior will be only remediable at the lower rate ? The only way I can get the higher bonus rate is to redeem my points within the 180 look-back period?

This sort or defeats my accumulating points from last years Princess cruises in order to get a better rate. I'm I correct?

If so it's going to be difficult to determine whether to cash in within the 180 period or hold off to get to a higher level.

After spending 45 minutes yesterday on the phone with Barclay, they couldn't provide anything about the new procedures.

They didn't even have a copy of the letter (nor the policy or pamphlet we received with the letter) & while I was mostly on hold they attempted to locate information which they couldn't find. They even contacted Princess to check if they sent us the new policy which they had not sent it. The letter uses a Barclay's VP name so it appears to be from Barclay who has not even shared the information with their representatives.

The end result is they're attempting to find the information mailed to us & will contact me within a couple of days. If all they have is the same information without further defining the changes, I'm not expecting much helpful information. Until the changes are implemented on 11/9/16 we might not know exactly how the new policy will affect us.

Here's my guess for my situation: I currently have nearly 7,000 points & a $3,000 final payment due before the new policy is implemented. I'll receive 6,000 new points and have a Princess purchase within 180 days. After the policy changes, I'll redeem 10,000 points and expect to have a redemption rate of 1.5% because of my $3,000 Princess purchase. That would give me a $150 (meets the $50 increments policy) chargecard credit instead of the current $100 (1%) chargecard credit.

I'm guessing that existing points will be redeemable at the new higher rates but won't know for sure until after the policy changes take affect on 11/9/16.

Edited by Astro Flyer

After spending 45 minutes yesterday on the phone with Barclay, they couldn't provide anything about the new procedures.

They didn't even have a copy of the letter (nor the policy or pamphlet we received with the letter) & while I was mostly on hold they attempted to locate information which they couldn't find. They even contacted Princess to check if they sent us the new policy which they had not sent it. The letter uses a Barclay's VP name so it appears to be from Barclay who has not even shared the information with their representatives.

The end result is they're attempting to find the information mailed to us & will contact me within a couple of days. If all they have is the same information without further defining the changes, I'm not expecting much helpful information. Until the changes are implemented on 11/9/16 we might not know exactly how the new policy will affect us.

Here's my guess for my situation: I currently have nearly 7,000 points & a $3,000 final payment due before the new policy is implemented. I'll receive 6,000 new points and have a Princess purchase within 180 days. After the policy changes, I'll redeem 10,000 points and expect to have a redemption rate of 1.5% because of my $3,000 Princess purchase. That would give me a $150 (meets the $50 increments policy) chargecard credit instead of the current $100 (1%) chargecard credit.

I'm guessing that existing points will be redeemable at the new higher rates but won't know for sure until after the policy changes take affect on 11/9/16.

Clear as mud.

Either way I'll have to hold off cashing my points in till next cruise since we leave on 10/27 and it's to close to the cutoff point where I can still order cabin credit.

For earning points the notice says: "Earn 2x points for every $1 spent on Princess Cruises and other World's Leading Cruise Lines purchases - including cruise bookings, onboard amenities and more." So this applies to all CCL owned cruise companies.

We received three separate pieces of paper in an envelope from Barclay Thursday afternoon. Each of them states that we earn "Two points for every one US dollar of Net Purchases from Princess Cruise Lines" and "One point per net dollar spent on all other Net Purchases". Given how this has been rolled out, I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see that you received something different than we did.

We also received three separate pieces of paper in the envelope.

My quote above came from the letter dated September 26, 1016 with the heading "Coming Soon." The quote came from a paragraph on the right side half-way down the page under the color picture of a Princess ship.

For redeeming points for more than 1% value, this only applies to Princess charges.

I recently had an issue on our Diamond Princess Japan cruise where I received only 1 point for shore excursions because they were charged by "Carnival Japan, Inc" instead of "Princess Cruises" even though I was on a Princess ship. A simple phone call to Barclay didn't do it, they insisted that Carnival Japan was not Princess, so I had to fax my stateroom account statement from the ship to Barclay showing Princess cruises at the top to get it straightened out. This new rule would have avoided all that since 2x points will be earned on all CCL brands.

I do have a question though...maybe this is an obvious answer, but does the $4000 have to be spent in one transaction? Or just $4000 Princess charges cumulative over the last 180 days?

I do have a question though...maybe this is an obvious answer, but does the $4000 have to be spent in one transaction? Or just $4000 Princess charges cumulative over the last 180 days?

As I read it, cumulative.

I have not cruised Princess for about 4 years but do know my five year date is almost here and my plans to cruise this month just did not happen. Hopefully, March 2017 will be ok.

I want to redeem points before I start to lose them. I called Princess redemption today to ask about redeeming without a booked cruise. The answer was a little confusing, so I am looking for further clarification.

She said I could not redeem online since I did not have a booked cruise but to call back and they would apply the cruise discount to my Visa to be used as payment on my credit card.

So, if I choose to redeem 40,000 points, they would give a credit of $500.

Does the $500 credit go only toward a cruise or for any of my purchases? And if my Visa balance is less than the $500, will the remaining balance roll over to the next month?

After posting this question earlier today in a separate thread, I was given info on this thread. Not sure if my timing is good or bad now that I read this thread.

From what I've read, I may not have to redeem if my 5-year date is after they new policy. But if the date is before, I better call right away.

Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if the enhanced rewards have gone live yet?

This is the first day of the new procedure but the FAQs have changed since yesterday. Previously to redeem 10,000 points I would receive a $100 chargecard balance credit; today the same 10,000 points appears to give me $150 (1.5%) because within the past 180 days I've spent $2,500 on a cruise.

I'm going to wait a few days before attempting to get the chargecard balance credit either online or by calling them.

What's the best redemption value among eligible transactions?

Redeeming for a statement credit toward a Princess Cruise Lines transaction offers the best redemption value. The greater the purchase amount, the greater the potential rewards value.

Princess purchase amount ($50 or greater) within last 180 days = Redemption points value

$50 to $499.99 = 1%

$500 -$2,000.99 = 1.25%

$2,001-$4,000.99 = 1.5%

$4,001+ = 2.0%

Edited by Astro Flyer

I should have waited but hopefully no one else will need to spend 30 minutes as agents attempt to redeem points for a statement credit. Unfortunately trying online & their agents trying on the Barclay system resulted in being unable to currently get a statement credit.

Their agents are reporting this snafu to this new procedure which isn't surprising to me. Their letter was so poorly written & despite their promise to research it & give me a definitive answer they never called me.

The agent was unable to even get to the statement credit option which I did only to be told that I didn't have any Princess purchases. I made final payment last month which shows on my statement so there's a problem with their system that currently prevents redeeming points for a statement credit.

Both agents agreed that I should receive a statement credit at the 1.5% value however a snafu is not allowing it.

I'm within the 180 day requirement for another 5 months & will periodically check online to see if the problem has been fixed & later may call them if not. Hopefully my experience will prevent others from spending time on the phone for a procedure that is currently unavailable.

I should have waited but hopefully no one else will need to spend 30 minutes as agents attempt to redeem points for a statement credit. Unfortunately trying online & their agents trying on the Barclay system resulted in being unable to currently get a statement credit.

Their agents are reporting this snafu to this new procedure which isn't surprising to me. Their letter was so poorly written & despite their promise to research it & give me a definitive answer they never called me.

The agent was unable to even get to the statement credit option which I did only to be told that I didn't have any Princess purchases. I made final payment last month which shows on my statement so there's a problem with their system that currently prevents redeeming points for a statement credit.

Both agents agreed that I should receive a statement credit at the 1.5% value however a snafu is not allowing it.

I'm within the 180 day requirement for another 5 months & will periodically check online to see if the problem has been fixed & later may call them if not. Hopefully my experience will prevent others from spending time on the phone for a procedure that is currently unavailable.

That's no good, is it? I'd be pretty disappointed even though I know they will have to get it fixed.

I'll be wanting to use it soon myself. Thanks for the heads up.

Tried today, got erreor message to call for service. Agent said it would not be functional till next week. Did say I would receive 2% statement credit since I had about $5000 paid to Princess on card last June. 50000 points will generate $1,000 statement credit per agent ( next week). Got to be patient and keep checking, I was told.

Tried today, got erreor message to call for service. Agent said it would not be functional till next week. Did say I would receive 2% statement credit since I had about $5000 paid to Princess on card last June. 50000 points will generate $1,000 statement credit per agent ( next week). Got to be patient and keep checking, I was told.

Thanks for the update although it would be good to have the system ready on their rollout date but I'll patiently wait.

I've got plenty of time & might wait a couple of months until after our next cruise so those purchases (including FCDs) would increase my statement credit.

Both agents said I'll receive 1.5% for all of my points & it's not limited to increments such as an even 10,000 points...did their agent say the same thing to you?

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for the update although it would be good to have the system ready on their rollout date but I'll patiently wait.

I've got plenty of time & might wait a couple of months until after our next cruise so those purchases (including FCDs) would increase my statement credit.

Both agents said I'll receive 1.5% for all of my points & it's not limited to increments such as an even 10,000 points...did their agent say the same thing to you?

I was told $50 credit increments, but agent did not seem confident. This would clearly be somewhat confusing as different spending levels would generate different credits (2500 if in the 2%, bracket, but 5000 if in the 1% grouping, etc.) We'll see!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

I was told $50 credit increments, but agent did not seem confident. This would clearly be somewhat confusing as different spending levels would generate different credits (2500 if in the 2%, bracket, but 5000 if in the 1% grouping, etc.) We'll see!

Thanks again & redemption levels in $50 increments is what I recall from the information mailed a couple of months ago...yes, we'll see! ;)

Hadn't thought of this....

Was trying to redeem for bookings I made in June. B2b Hawaii Mexico. Both paid for on same day in June, approximately 5500 total fare paid. Cruises linked, but charges are made per cruise on statement, so redemption credit 1.5% (based on 3500 Hawaii fare) rather than the total of 5500. Booked ez air a week later, about 700/trip, but since a separate charge, doesn't count with the cruise fare for redemption. It is actually clear if you read it carefully, I just had thought it could include multiple payments. Just an FYI.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Sorry, I am still confused. I have over $5k in charges since September for our cruise next week but all that is showing to redeem for credit is a Swiss Air ticket. Is this part of the glitch? Should I try again next week to get the 2x credit for my cruise charges?

Thanks!

Sorry, I am still confused. I have over $5k in charges since September for our cruise next week but all that is showing to redeem for credit is a Swiss Air ticket. Is this part of the glitch? Should I try again next week to get the 2x credit for my cruise charges?

Thanks!

Were those charges for cruise purchases? If not, then it appears that you cannot use points for a statement credit for your recent $5k in purchases. Statement credits are only based on cruise purchases within the past 180 days on the Carnival Corporation cruise lines listed below.

Here is what's said about redeeming points for a statement credit but that option still isn't available due to their snafu. I'm skeptical that it'll be fixed by next week because they've been unable to have their system operational on the implementation date (11/9/16) despite sending their notification letter dated 9/26/16.

"Redeem your points for statement credits toward travel purchases of $50 or more made in the last 180 days on Princess Cruise Lines cruises, Holland America Line Cruises, Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, The Cunard Line, The Yachts of Seabourn, P&O Cruises, P&O Cruises Australia, Ibero, and Aida or for airfare. Statement credit redemptions start at 5,000 points".

"Redeeming for a statement credit toward a Princess Cruise Lines transaction offers the best redemption value. The greater the purchase amount, the greater the potential rewards value.

Princess purchase amount ($50 or greater) within last 180 days = Redemption points value"

$50 to $499.99 = 1%

$500 -$2,000.99 = 1.25%

$2,001-$4,000.99 = 1.5%

$4,001+ = 2.0%

It's definitely not totalizing all Princess purchases yet, if it's supposed to be.

My only redemption options are against airfare despite many Princess purchases in the lookback window.

Yes, my account still doesn't show any eligible Princess purchases despite making my cruise's final payment last month.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi,

Do you know when we should start receiving double points for charges to other Carnival Corporation cruise lines? For example, on Nov. 3, 2016, I paid a deposit for a Holland America cruise and did not receive double points. Because the new rules now seem to be in place, will we start receiving double points for Holland America charges?

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi,

Do you know when we should start receiving double points for charges to other Carnival Corporation cruise lines? For example, on Nov. 3, 2016, I paid a deposit for a Holland America cruise and did not receive double points. Because the new rules now seem to be in place, will we start receiving double points for Holland America charges?

Thanks,

Chuck

Reading the new "Princess Reward Rules" (enclosed with the letter dated 9/26/16) based on this statement we only receive double points for Princess purchases & 1 point for all other purchases.

"Two (2) Points for every one U.S. dollar ($1.00) of Net Purchases from Princess Cruise Lines including online & onboard purchases".

"One (1) Point per one dollar ($1) spent on all other Net Purchases".

As I read the new rules, purchases on other Carnival Corporation cruise lines such as HAL are only considered when calculating a value for a statement credit. That is new & for example if the combined total of CCL cruise lines adds up to over $4001 within a 180 day period then we get 2% in statement credit. By allowing other CCL cruise line purchases to be considered, we can now get a higher % of return by being able to combine cruise purchases amounts.

The letter states that our "new & improved redemption options take effect on November 7, 2016". However since they didn't update their system for the changes yet, things could change but earning 2 points/$1 for Princess purchases & 1 point/$1 for all other purchases is clearly stated in the new rules sent to us.