Princess Credit Card Enhancements

Host Jazzbeau

Thanks for the info Astro Flyer. I went online and my Princess cruise charge DID NOT show up as an eligible purchase. I was hoping to not have to call to do the redemption, but I guess the system is not operational online yet. My payment is not due until January, so I may just hold off and hope for the best.

Thanks again for all the great information.

One of the problems I have with Barclays. My points have come from different cruises going back to 2012, which was my first cruise using the Princess card. I just used 3/4 of the points I have on our last cruise. I tried to get information about what points will expire first, in order to use them. They only could tell me how many points I have. Since they have gone back to 60 months expiration, are the points you have now safe for 5 years?

In the new Princess Rewards Rules mailed with the notification of changes letter in late September the 60 month expiration is not listed & as long as we have some account activity within 7 billing cycles then points will never expire.

Important Information About Points: "As long as your Account remains open, active, and in good standing, your Points will not expire."

Program Aministration: To qualify for participation in the program and to maintain your good standing: your Account cannot have been inactive for 7 billing cycles in a row (representing approximately 7 months. Inactive means you have no balance, no payments and no transactions.

Based on these statements, our points never expire as long as our account is in good standing and we have some account activity within 7 billing cycles.

I don't believe the points are use-or-lose; the rule before was two statement cycles or not yet paid in full. Now you can apply points to "pay off" a previous charge from Princess, WLCL or airlines, up to 180 days back, regardless of payment status. It appears to be similar to "purchase eraser" from other issuers.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the big win here: self-service redemption.

Yes it is so simple.

Thanks for the info Astro Flyer. I went online and my Princess cruise charge DID NOT show up as an eligible purchase. I was hoping to not have to call to do the redemption, but I guess the system is not operational online yet. My payment is not due until January, so I may just hold off and hope for the best.

Thanks again for all the great information.

You're welcome & they're aware of the problems and seeking a solution.

Hopefully you won't need to call Barclay but if you do request an accounts manager who understood the problem & was tracking my problem for up to 10 days which was corrected in only a couple of days & she got my statement credit issued.

We're all trying to figure out the new system & Barclay made it worse by having conflicting statements & the new system not in place when the changes were implemented.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Boy! After seeing all of this, I'm glad that I just use my card that pays me 3% back on my travel costs and credits it to my cash back! That's $210 cash back on the cost of our upcoming Panama cruise with no problems at all! :p

Tom

And, cash doesn't expire like some points do, cash can be combined with all offers and promotions, and, most importantly, cash can be used on all cruise lines.

And, cash doesn't expire like some points do, cash can be combined with all offers and promotions, and, most importantly, cash can be used on all cruise lines.

That's some of the reasons we're cancelling the Barclay Princess card now that our points total is zero.

When spending more on Princess cruises the double points for those cruises & single points for other purchases worked for us. Now with less Princess spending & not using it for other purchases and with points expiring if not using the card at least once in each 7 billing cycles it's not my best option.

Much better to get a 3% cash reward for another type of rewards chargecard.

Edited by Astro Flyer

See above in red.

To summarize:

o You still will earn 2% in points for Princess purchases.

o You will now be able to earn 2% in points for other CCL Corp purchases.

o You can still redeem points for Princess cruise items (such as OBC) just as in the past.

o If you redeem points to apply to Princess Purchases that were made in the 180 days prior to redemption, you can get a bonus so that the amount applied will be greater than 100 points/dollar. How much greater depends on the amount of the Princess purchases.

I agree, this is what I thought they meant also.

Now with less Princess spending & not using it for other purchases and with points expiring if not using the card at least once in each 7 billing cycles it's not my best option.

Much better to get a 3% cash reward for another type of rewards chargecard.

While I'm very happy with my cash-back card and have no plans to change, I do have one question for those of you who have the Princess card. Does the "use the card at least once in each billing cycles" simply mean that you have to buy something with the card somewhere at least 1 time every 7 months? If that's the case, that seems like a pretty easy thing to get around.

Am I missing something or what? Just curious.

Tom

In the new Princess Rewards Rules mailed with the notification of changes letter in late September the 60 month expiration is not listed & as long as we have some account activity within 7 billing cycles then points will never expire.

Important Information About Points: "As long as your Account remains open, active, and in good standing, your Points will not expire."

Program Aministration: To qualify for participation in the program and to maintain your good standing: your Account cannot have been inactive for 7 billing cycles in a row (representing approximately 7 months. Inactive means you have no balance, no payments and no transactions.

Based on these statements, our points never expire as long as our account is in good standing and we have some account activity within 7 billing cycles.

While I'm very happy with my cash-back card and have no plans to change, I do have one question for those of you who have the Princess card. Does the "use the card at least once in each billing cycles" simply mean that you have to buy something with the card somewhere at least 1 time every 7 months? If that's the case, that seems like a pretty easy thing to get around.

Am I missing something or what? Just curious.

Tom

You're correct & it's simple to meet the requirement when using it regularly.

Previously points expired after 5 years; now it's indefinitely when having account activity within a 7 billing cycle period of time.

My read is not that a given Princess purchase size or cumulative spend in the previous 180 days does anything with redemption rate, but rather that when you apply points to that particular transaction of that amount or more, each point erases more of that particular purchase.

I've always had to redeem for statement credit by calling - I've never seen a self-service option.

The inactivity piece is definitely new and buried in the T&Cs.

I'm still a bit confused about redemptions for the full amount of a charge - to me, my read is that any Princess charge can be either erased in full, or in $50 increments - so one for $499 would take 49,900 points out, but a charge of 501, if you only had 50050 points, would erase 500, and leave you with 50 points.

It's very poorly described and disclosed - I am shocked Barclaycard would put out such a bad communication.

Just go to the Rewards and benefit, click on using my points.

See above in red.

To summarize:

o You still will earn 2% in points for Princess purchases.

o You will now be able to earn 2% in points for other CCL Corp purchases.

o You can still redeem points for Princess cruise items (such as OBC) just as in the past.

o If you redeem points to apply to Princess Purchases that were made in the 180 days prior to redemption, you can get a bonus so that the amount applied will be greater than 100 points/dollar. How much greater depends on the amount of the Princess purchases.

I agree, this is what I thought they meant also.

There have been many posts since he made that late September post.

If you still have the new Princess Reward Rules sent with the letter, there are several conflicting statements. The letter stated we get 2X points for Princess & WLCL (AKA other CCL cruise lines; the rules brochure states we get 2X points on Princess purchases only & all other purchases (including WLCL purchases) only receive 1 point per $1 USD spent.

I put more credence in a legal rules statement than a marketing cover letter.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just go to the Rewards and benefit, click on using my points.

Have you been able to do that since the new rules were implemented on 11/9/16?

Based on my recent experience & from other posts, since the new rules were implemented Barclay is not displaying eligible purchases & thus we haven't been able to redeem points for statement credits. Barclay is aware of their snafu & are attempting to correct their problems.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have not cruised Princess for about 4 years but do know my five year date is almost here and my plans to cruise this month just did not happen. Hopefully, March 2017 will be ok.

I want to redeem points before I start to lose them. I called Princess redemption today to ask about redeeming without a booked cruise. The answer was a little confusing, so I am looking for further clarification.

She said I could not redeem online since I did not have a booked cruise but to call back and they would apply the cruise discount to my Visa to be used as payment on my credit card.

So, if I choose to redeem 40,000 points, they would give a credit of $500.

Does the $500 credit go only toward a cruise or for any of my purchases? And if my Visa balance is less than the $500, will the remaining balance roll over to the next month?

After posting this question earlier today in a separate thread, I was given info on this thread. Not sure if my timing is good or bad now that I read this thread.

From what I've read, I may not have to redeem if my 5-year date is after they new policy. But if the date is before, I better call right away.

Thanks for any help.

As I said earlier, their reps are a like Princess reps. It is so much easier and clearer on the website.

There have been many posts since he made that late September post.

If you still have the new Princess Reward Rules sent with the letter, there are several conflicting statements. The letter stated we get 2X points for Princess & WLCL (AKA other CCL cruise lines; the rules brochure states we get 2X points on Princess purchases only & all other purchases (including WLCL purchases) only receive 1 point per $1 USD spent.

I put more credence in a legal rules statement than a marketing cover letter.

We used our points before we received the notice, but all our purchases on board came after.

We used our points before we received the notice, but all our purchases on board came after.

Thanks...the new rules implemented on 11/9/16 have created many problems with redeeming points for rewards since this thread began 2 months ago. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Has anyone called Barclays to ask what their interpretation is?

Has anyone called Barclays to ask what their interpretation is?

I asked the Barclay account manager (supervisor who got my points redeemed) about which is correct & her answer was that the Princess Rewards Rules were accurate...2X for Princess purchases (online & onboard); 1X for any other purchase including WLCL purchases.

Barclay is still messed up...called on 11/17 to discuss the problem with an account manager; on 11/21 my statement credit was issued the same day they sent me a letter saying they couldn't correct the problem & to call them back again. :rolleyes:

It's now time to cancel the Barclay Princess Visa card & to use another card that gives me 3% cash for my yearly travel purchases.

When I used an on-line travel agent and paid with my Princess Visa, I did not received double points because the charge was recorded with the name of travel agent, not Princess.

I went back to booking myself on my next cruise and received the double points.

Most TAs will process the charge directly through Princess so that you see "Princess" on your credit card statement. Whatever company you used, that is not the norm. Just ask your TA prior to charging to make sure that the payment will be processed through Princess directly instead of making a stop in their coffers. ;)

Most TAs will process the charge directly through Princess so that you see "Princess" on your credit card statement. Whatever company you used, that is not the norm. Just ask your TA prior to charging to make sure that the payment will be processed through Princess directly instead of making a stop in their coffers. ;)

In fact, avoid TAs that apply the credit card payment to the agency and not directly with Princess.

If the TA goes out of business, Princess may not have received your payment and you will have to pay a second time in order to take the cruise.

Barclay is still messed up...called on 11/17 to discuss the problem with an account manager; on 11/21 my statement credit was issued the same day they sent me a letter saying they couldn't correct the problem & to call them back again. :rolleyes:

It's now time to cancel the Barclay Princess Visa card & to use another card that gives me 3% cash for my yearly travel purchases.

Finally received statement credit yesterday, after submitting a written request via the contact us link on website about two weeks ago. I was assigned a case number at that time. When I called today to check on it the rep told me it had been resolved yesterday, and apologized for the ongoing problem the are still working on. I did receive credit at the 2% level for a purchase back in June, so 55000 points made for a credit of $1100. Much better than the old program, albeit a pain because of the transitional problems. At least they seem to know about it now.

Finally received statement credit yesterday, after submitting a written request via the contact us link on website about two weeks ago. I was assigned a case number at that time. When I called today to check on it the rep told me it had been resolved yesterday, and apologized for the ongoing problem the are still working on. I did receive credit at the 2% level for a purchase back in June, so 55000 points made for a credit of $1100. Much better than the old program, albeit a pain because of the transitional problems. At least they seem to know about it now.

Hallelujah! I was beginning to regret starting this thread, as it seems to have caused much more agita than helped people. :eek: But since I don't need to use the new benefit for a while longer, it seems that all you "guinea pigs" are debugging it for me. Thanks much! :)