Princess Credit Card Enhancements

Host Jazzbeau

Sorry, I am still confused. I have over $5k in charges since September for our cruise next week but all that is showing to redeem for credit is a Swiss Air ticket. Is this part of the glitch? Should I try again next week to get the 2x credit for my cruise charges?

Thanks!

Sorry, I was typing too fast and missed that key part. Yes, the 5K were Princess charges for our cruise next week. Would be wonderful to get double credit for them!

Based on how I read the new information, you'll still receive the double reward points for a $5,000 purchase through Princess and you'll have 180 days after September to redeem points for a 2% statement credit of your total number of Princess reward points.

If before the 180 days expire an additional Princess purchase is made that may restart the 180 day period. Although if a new purchase was lower, you could receive a lower redemption value. Now you're over the limit for a 2% redemption but if you're next cruise is under $4,001 then you'd receive a lower 1%-1.5% redemption value.

For example, if you have 10,000 points you'll receive a $200 (2%) statement credit when you redeem them with 180 of your September Princess purchase.

The rules seem to indicate that redemptions are in $50 increments but two Barclay agents didn't see that indicated. VibeGuy was offered either redeeming the full amount or in $50 increments. Since they've implemented new rules before fully updating their system, we can all speculate about the actual procedure because even their agents are confused due to Barclay not providing them information.

Despite what an agent said, I'm skeptical if it will be updated by next week and I'm considering waiting until after our January cruise to have a few more points to redeem. ;)

Where are you guys finding your "eligible Princess purchases" on the website?

No, that's the current roadblock to definitively learning the new procedures. One agent stated they hoped to have the snafu corrected by next week but who knows when it'll actually happen. ;)

I understand that system changes may take some time to get everything running smoothly. However Barclay has done a poor job where no one (agents or customers) can get past the lack of displaying "eligible Princess purchases". :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Reading the new "Princess Reward Rules" (enclosed with the letter dated 9/26/16) based on this statement we only receive double points for Princess purchases & 1 point for all other purchases.

"Two (2) Points for every one U.S. dollar ($1.00) of Net Purchases from Princess Cruise Lines including online & onboard purchases".

"One (1) Point per one dollar ($1) spent on all other Net Purchases".

As I read the new rules, purchases on other Carnival Corporation cruise lines such as HAL are only considered when calculating a value for a statement credit. That is new & for example if the combined total of CCL cruise lines adds up to over $4001 within a 180 day period then we get 2% in statement credit. By allowing other CCL cruise line purchases to be considered, we can now get a higher % of return by being able to combine cruise purchases amounts.

The letter states that our "new & improved redemption options take effect on November 7, 2016". However since they didn't update their system for the changes yet, things could change but earning 2 points/$1 for Princess purchases & 1 point/$1 for all other purchases is clearly stated in the new rules sent to us.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I was basing my question on the following statement in one of the posts above:

For earning points the notice says: "Earn 2x points for every $1 spent on Princess Cruises and other World's Leading Cruise Lines purchases - including cruise bookings, onboard amenities and more." So this applies to all CCL owned cruise companies.

Based on your reply, it looks like this statement may not be correct.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi,

To see if I understand this, could you please consider this simple hypothetical?

I charge $2,200 on my card for a Holland America cruise.

Within 180 days, I charge $2,200 on my card for a Princess cruise.

If I have 100,000 points to redeem, I could receive a $2,000 statement credit against my Princess cruise (100,000 x 2%), right?

Thanks,

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Hi,

To see if I understand this, could you please consider this simple hypothetical?

I charge $2,200 on my card for a Holland America cruise.

Within 180 days, I charge $2,200 on my card for a Princess cruise.

If I have 100,000 points to redeem, I could receive a $2,000 statement credit against my Princess cruise (100,000 x 2%), right?

Thanks,

Chuck

Since Barclay hasn't provided definitive answers to their confusing new rewards redemption rules, all of us (including their agents) are attempting to find the correct answers which are currently mostly only a best guess. ;)

Based on this statement from the new rules, your hypothetical is not accurate: The statement credit redemption value for airline purchases & World's Leading Cruise Line Cruises will be at 1%. Those cruise lines are other CCL cruise lines such as HAL & are only eligible for a 1% statement credit.

Thus in your hypothetical of charging $2,200 on HAL you'd earn a 1% statement credit; the $2,200 Princess purchase earns 1.50%.

So it appears that by redeeming 100,000 points within 180 days of the Princess purchase it's a $1,500 (1.50%) statement credit; if within 180 days of a cruise purchase from one of the other CCL cruise lines or an airline purchase it's $1,000 (1%).

That Barclay rule statement shows different redemption rates for qualified Princess purchases & the other CCL cruise lines/airlines. Apparently they do not combine 2 different types of purchases to add up to a total of $4,400 and a 2% redemption value.

I may be wrong but unfortunately Barclay has implemented a new rewards system without being able to provide us with many definitive answers. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I was basing my question on the following statement in one of the posts above:

For earning points the notice says: "Earn 2x points for every $1 spent on Princess Cruises and other World's Leading Cruise Lines purchases - including cruise bookings, onboard amenities and more." So this applies to all CCL owned cruise companies.

Based on your reply, it looks like this statement may not be correct.

Thanks,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck...I now see that conflicting statement in the letter & agree that the conflict between the letter's statement & the detailed Princess Reward Rules would be best defined by the rules which is that 2x points are only earned through Princess purchases & not for any WLCL cruise line purchases.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks Chuck...I now see that conflicting statement in the letter & agree that the conflict between the letter's statement & the detailed Princess Reward Rules would be best defined by the rules which is that 2x points are only earned through Princess purchases & not for any WLCL cruise line purchases.[/quote

Spent another two hours on phone with many agents, was finally routed to a "supervisor" who verified system is having problems. They had managed to identify the largest single cruise purchase I had made in the last 180 days. It was 3300, which allowed them to issue a 1 .5% statement credit which I am supposed to see next week.

Some have mentioned they have made princess purchases (plural) they believe will automatically a lift them for a certain redemption level. Bear in mind it is stated the redemption credit is based on a single charge to your card, not multiple charges, even if the multiple charges were made towards one booking, but charged separately.

When you log in, you will only be able to select any single, qualified purchase that will determine the credit level.

Still, it's better than before.

GOOD LUCK!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Spent another two hours on phone with many agents, was finally routed to a "supervisor" who verified system is having problems. They had managed to identify the largest single cruise purchase I had made in the last 180 days. It was 3300, which allowed them to issue a 1 .5% statement credit which I am supposed to see next week.

Some have mentioned they have made princess purchases (plural) they believe will automatically a lift them for a certain redemption level. Bear in mind it is stated the redemption credit is based on a single charge to your card, not multiple charges, even if the multiple charges were made towards one booking, but charged separately.

When you log in, you will only be able to select any single, qualified purchase that will determine the credit level.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for sharing the results of your 2 hour conversation...it's more definitive & is helpful for those of us seeking to learn about the new procedures.

It's good to be aware that purchases are not combinable for determining our rate (1%-2%) when considering when is the best time to redeem our Barclay Princess reward points.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'm extra confused now. I see one eligible purchase (even though there should be about 5) and a "redeem now" button when I click Statement Credit. When I click "redeem now", it says I must have at least 133,000 points to redeem!! [emoji33] I thought u can redeem for statement credit starting at 10,000 points???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm extra confused now. I see one eligible purchase (even though there should be about 5) and a "redeem now" button when I click Statement Credit. When I click "redeem now", it says I must have at least 133,000 points to redeem!! [emoji33] I thought u can redeem for statement credit starting at 10,000 points???

You're better than me because none of my Princess purchases are displayed. ;)

I'm waiting until at least next week because all reports from Barclay are that their system is not fully functional. So you might consider waiting until they've fixed their system & have trained their agents on their new redemption system.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You're better than me because none of my Princess purchases are displayed. ;)

I'm waiting until at least next week because all reports from Barclay are that their system is not fully functional. So you might consider waiting until they've fixed their system & have trained their agents on their new redemption system.

Yeah, I will wait. I was going to anyway after hearing of your plight but thought I would at least log in and see what mine looks like. Hopefully the glitches are fixed pronto!

Yeah, I will wait. I was going to anyway after hearing of your plight but thought I would at least log in and see what mine looks like. Hopefully the glitches are fixed pronto!

Based on the new rules statement credits now begin at 5,000 points instead of 10,000 points.

I don't have the card, but I went to the Application page/terms and conditions via the Princess website. I don't see where the points can be cashed in for onboard credit - how would you do that and what value for points would you receive?

I admit I am always tempted to apply, but my current card pays 1% and 2% depending on the type of purchase that is paid back in cash. The problem is that my DH always absorbs that cash into the bank account and I don't get to enjoy the "fun" of "free money." (He would beg to differ.)

Maddle

Sounds like a good deal. Since we are on the subject of points, if you redeem points for OBC's and later cancel the cruise are the points refunded to your account?

Bob

Bob, here's the current statement from the Princess Barclay which states when canceling your points are returned to your rewards account & if changing cruises they'll transfer it to the new booking.

What happens to my onboard credits if I change or cancel my cruise?

Should you need to cancel or change your cruise plans, when you're talking with the Princess representative, please ask to have your onboard credits or gifts moved to your new booking. Or in the case of a cruise cancellation, please just remind the representative to return your points to your account.

I don't have the card, but I went to the Application page/terms and conditions via the Princess website. I don't see where the points can be cashed in for onboard credit - how would you do that and what value for points would you receive?

I admit I am always tempted to apply, but my current card pays 1% and 2% depending on the type of purchase that is paid back in cash. The problem is that my DH always absorbs that cash into the bank account and I don't get to enjoy the "fun" of "free money." (He would beg to differ.)

Maddle

Here are the OBC rewards redemption values:

5,000 points: $50

10,000 points: $100

25,000 points: $250

40,000 points: $500

That's 1% until at 40,000 points where it's 1.25%.

For me, the statement credit works better & provides between 1% to 2% depending upon how much I've spent on Princess within the previous 180 days.

I have not read every comment in this thread, but how is it an improvement if my cruise deposit is under the cut off for the double points.

You earn double points on any Princess purchases & it's not affected by how much you spend.

Previous redemption values for OBC & statement credits ranged between 1%-1.25% but the new system goes up to 2% for a statement credit (no change in OBC) depending upon how much we spend on Princess within the preceding 180 days before redemption.

What's the best redemption value among eligible transactions?

Redeeming for a statement credit toward a Princess Cruise Lines transaction offers the best redemption value. The greater the purchase amount, the greater the potential rewards value.

Princess purchase amount ($50 or greater) within last 180 days = Redemption points value

$50 to $499.99 = 1%

$500 -$2,000.99 = 1.25%

$2,001-$4,000.99 = 1.5%

$4,001+ = 2.0%

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks to the Amex rebate offers, I have now repaid enough of my upcoming Princess cruise that less than $4,000 remains for final payment. Is there a way that my TA can put through a $4,000 payment anyway [with the excess becoming OBC]?

Thanks to the Amex rebate offers, I have now repaid enough of my upcoming Princess cruise that less than $4,000 remains for final payment. Is there a way that my TA can put through a $4,000 payment anyway [with the excess becoming OBC]?

I've never heard of that being done; I don't think it's possible. BUT you could make your final payment, and then gift yourself the remainder in OBC.

I've never heard of that being done; I don't think it's possible. BUT you could make your final payment, and then gift yourself the remainder in OBC.

The problem is that some reports indicate you have to have a single Princess charge of $4k to get the 2% rebate. Other charges get 1 - 1.5% depending on the size of each charge.

GOOD LUCK!

The problem is that some reports indicate you have to have a single Princess charge of $4k to get the 2% rebate. Other charges get 1 - 1.5% depending on the size of each charge.

Based on this most recent lengthy discussion with Barclay, each redemption value (1%-2%) is based on a single Princess purchase & not by combining multiple Princess purchases.

Edited by Astro Flyer