Question about Anthem of the Seas Sofa Beds

ptooth

I have a family of four and want to book an oceanview balcony stateroom on the Anthem. My kids are too old to stay in one bed. We cannot afford a suite. If we get the stateroom with a balcony, I see we can split the king sized bed into two twins for the kids and open up the sofa bed for us parents. If we do that, does anyone know how comfortable the sofa bed is? The agent I spoke to from RCCL said the sofa beds are nice and have memory foam mattresses. Has anyone slept on one of these?

I have a family of four and want to book an oceanview balcony stateroom on the Anthem. My kids are too old to stay in one bed. We cannot afford a suite. If we get the stateroom with a balcony, I see we can split the king sized bed into two twins for the kids and open up the sofa bed for us parents. If we do that, does anyone know how comfortable the sofa bed is? The agent I spoke to from RCCL said the sofa beds are nice and have memory foam mattresses. Has anyone slept on one of these?

Unless the Anthem has different sofa beds than other ships I would not want to spend a week on that with DW while the kids had the bed.

We just got off the Anthem 12/27/15. We had 2 connecting oceaniview rooms on Deck 3 and were very happy. Nice sized rooms and we did not miss the balcony. Our kids (aged 22, 20 and 17) were in one room. My 22 year old slept on the sofa bed and had no complaints). We are not always easy to please people and had a perfect cruise on the Anthem!

I would recommend getting the kids an inside cabin near your cabin, rather than shoving all four of you in the same room.

Cost will be about the same, and you'll have way more room and an extra bathroom, plus everyone gets to sleep in a real bed.

We were on Quantum with a nearly 5 year old and a nearly 7 year old. The sofa bed as it is set up really only sleeps one person, despite what they say, IMO. Our kids, after the first night, stopped sleeping on it long ways (the regular way). Luckily they are petite so they slept on it short ways (sideways) with pillows dividing them. I wish they had the upper berth! There is no way, IMO, that two adults or even tweens could sleep on that pull out couch for a week!

Edited by sasha96

In this picture you can see the couch is the width of one throw pillow. When opened it is the width of two throw pillows.

When your opened up did the half that was closest to the wall slope downwards to the other half. We were on one ship that did this. So if you tried to sleep 2 people one would constantly roll into the other. Totally agree that unless it's 2 small kids there is no way 2 adults cans comfortable sleep on this

• 3 weeks later...

In all honesty this is what put me off from doing Anthem with my entire family. Sorry but with the high price tag since its a new ship, I can't afford 2 rooms. We've always done 4 in a room and it really makes me angry that they went all sofa beds instead of having Pullmans to pretty much force you to 2 rooms. :mad:

My dh & I are going solo but the bed situation for 4 really chaps me because I really wanted to take the boys this summer.

Ok. This post has totally stressed out. I initially booked an inside cabin for our family of 4 (includes 13 yo and 11 yo). I decided it would be too tight and upgraded to a balcony guaranty so we could have some space. (The upgrade only cost about $450 aft the OBC). It didn't occur to me that the sofa bed would be too small for my tweens. (Both over 5 ft and over 100 lbs.)

:eek::eek: Very nervous but too late to change now. (I can't get connected rooms and my kids are not ready to be in a room by themselves). It also would have cost an extra $1000 to get a second room.

I think those "bunks" probably cost more to install than a sofa bed and they cheaped out. :-(

• 2 months later...
Ok. This post has totally stressed out. I initially booked an inside cabin for our family of 4 (includes 13 yo and 11 yo). I decided it would be too tight and upgraded to a balcony guaranty so we could have some space. (The upgrade only cost about $450 aft the OBC). It didn't occur to me that the sofa bed would be too small for my tweens. (Both over 5 ft and over 100 lbs.)

:eek::eek: Very nervous but too late to change now. (I can't get connected rooms and my kids are not ready to be in a room by themselves). It also would have cost an extra $1000 to get a second room.

I think those "bunks" probably cost more to install than a sofa bed and they cheaped out. :-(

So, how did the cabin and sofa bed go? I was looking at booking a GTY balcony cabin too, and just found out that the quad cabins only have a sofa bed and not a pullman too. This set up is awful! My two young teens would not fare well sleeping together in a full size sofa bed. Is it possible the sofa is a queen size? I just don't understand why the Anthem does not have pullmans over the single sofa bed like other cruise lines.

I read that some cabins can have a rollaway bed. Do you think we could get one with a cabin that has a sofa bed too?

So, how did the cabin and sofa bed go? I was looking at booking a GTY balcony cabin too, and just found out that the quad cabins only have a sofa bed and not a pullman too. This set up is awful! My two young teens would not fare well sleeping together in a full size sofa bed. Is it possible the sofa is a queen size? I just don't understand why the Anthem does not have pullmans over the single sofa bed like other cruise lines.

I read that some cabins can have a rollaway bed. Do you think we could get one with a cabin that has a sofa bed too?

There is no room in a balcony cabin for a rollaway.

I'll let you know in two weeks. We leave on Friday. I did end up moving to a balcony guarantee. We figured at least the balcony would give us some extra space.

I'll let you know in two weeks. We leave on Friday. I did end up moving to a balcony guarantee. We figured at least the balcony would give us some extra space.

Thanks. I think I am just going to risk it too, and book the balcony guarantee. They are kids on an amazing cruise vacation. I think they can "suffer" and sleep together on a sofa bed. I asked my son about it and he said, "no problem, as long as we have separate blankets".

Enjoy your cruise, and be sure to post back. I would love to see a picture of the sofa bed out.

One more question... have you received your cabin assignment yet? If so, do you mind sharing the cabin number, or cabin category/location?

• 2 months later...
I would recommend getting the kids an inside cabin near your cabin, rather than shoving all four of you in the same room.

Cost will be about the same, and you'll have way more room and an extra bathroom, plus everyone gets to sleep in a real bed.

I have quoted both ways, 4 in one room and a separate inside cabin and the cost is not the same and not even close. You have to remember the the first two in a room cost's twice as much as the 3rd and 4th person. It is about $1,000., difference in price depending on the cabin you choose so it could be even more. My family cruises with 4 in on cabin and although you don't have a lot of room, we have been just fine especially since we are not in the cabin that much.

Did you have a good time and how was the sofa bed?

• 1 month later...

I just sailed on the Aug 6th cruise and my 3 boys were in a balcony cabin -13282 . The sofa bed was probably the size of a full size bed and was very hard!! we had a quilt ( i would ask for 2) to put under the sheet - this will help A lot !!!When the sofa is opened there is no room for ay other type of bed at all.I hope u are a close family because it is tight but having the balcony was great.Like having another room to get away while others are getting dressed.

We sailed in a balcony cabin on deck 11 in June. My two teens, DD age 14 & 5'7 and my DS age 15 & 5'9. The two shared the sofa bed. I can confirm that the sofa bed is definitely larger than a double bed, and is the size of a queen bed. My kids each had their own top sheet and blanket, and had plenty of room. My daughter complained the bed was hard and that it was the worst bed she has slept in all of her 9 cruises (she typically gets the top pull down bunk on Carnival and NCL). However, the hardness of the sofa bed did not bother my son one bit. My best description of the sofa mattress is highly dense, non-compressible foam wrapped around a steel tube!

With that said, the quad cabin sleeping arrangement is a huge negative when deciding if we will book another Quantum class ship. The ship is already more expensive than most cruises, and if we had to book two cabins instead of one... it will put this ship out of the running.

The sofa bed is next to the balcony. Although the pathway to the balcony was tight, it was manageable and not a problem.

20160615_221344_zpsgnqvo0rs.jpg