New NCL policy ... Hope HAL doesn't follow suit

HollDoll

I think it would be very difficult to police, and particularly on the HAL ships where the Dive In/Taco bar is closer to the spa than the Lido.

Also, what about all the passengers who head to the Neptune Lounge to get nibbles and then take them back to their balconies?

And what about people who walk out of the Lido still nibbling their ice cream cones or cookies?

On disembarkation morning someone from our party will usually make a Lido run to get a plate of muffins and few glasses of OJ for sharing before we get off the ship.

I really can't see enforcement of this policy working on HAL.

They are also going to charge a $7.95 fee for Room Service Delivery of all but a continental breakfast. Two items will be permitted to be ordered by each person and an additional charge for more items in same order.

I know that one post on NCL board claimed it was limited to two items but that turned out to be an error. Other folks ordered more items for just the one delivery charge.

I know that one post on NCL board claimed it was limited to two items but that turned out to be an error. Other folks ordered more items for just the one delivery charge.

Good.. that didn't sound very reasonable.

$7.95 room service charge for the entire order--not by number of items. No charge for continental. Free for suites.☺. I will be sailing on NCL in September and will verify.

Wonder if this will apply to people who are quarantined to their rooms due to Noro? Would be another reason for people not to report it.....no free room service and no family member carrying food to the room.

I would hope there's an exception for anyone who's quarantined. I think they'd have to do that.

I know on our last cruise I had a bad cold and was very grateful that my SO would bring me food from the Lido for my dinners. I didn't want to go up as I felt so crummy, but really enjoyed having the Lido food for my dinner. Guess that would not be possible either.

Well, when they released the revision to the Wine policy ( the July 2013 version) there was no press conference. They just posted it and started implementation.

Totally agree about NCL's announcement making it sound like they are doing pax a favor for their health. That line really sounds like "customer Service 101- step 2. Give the customer personal value". That right after step 1: tell them how much you understand/ empathize. Am so tired of that formula stuff when contacting customer service at several companies. It's so phoney.

I also got a chuckle that they made a point to mention that they had lowered the price on specialty restaurants by a NICKEL!

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why they bothered with that 'experiment'. Surely they knew there would be whooplah to tell people they can't bring a sandwich back to their cabin for their lunch or an ill spouse/travel companion.

I wonder why they bothered with that 'experiment'. Surely they knew there would be whooplah to tell people they can't bring a sandwich back to their cabin for their lunch or an ill spouse/travel companion.

according to the link I posted, it was because of trays and plates being left in hallways.

according to the link I posted, it was because of trays and plates being left in hallways.

That is what they said......

What I am asking is what people think is the real reason. :rolleyes:

If it was truly about plates and trays, they would not have reversed their change so quickly. Everything a cruise line does is about money, seems to me. ;)

In todays Ft. Myers NewsPress Local section Pg. 6A in the "In Brief" column.. this notice:

"Ban Reversed: Leftovers OK on Norwegian Cruise Line" Miami- "NCL is reversing course on a ban on doggie bags" The Miami based cruise line President & CEO Andy Stuart said Tuesday that the cruise line "simply" didn't understand" how important it was to passengers who wanted the option of eating in their rooms...

OOPS...I should have read Kazu's post.. from yesterday..

Sorry SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

(snip) The Miami based cruise line President & CEO Andy Stuart said Tuesday that the cruise line "simply" didn't understand" how important it was to passengers who wanted the option of eating in their rooms... (snip)

What kind of yayhoos are running this operation? Maybe the deciders should take a cruise or two--get their feet wet, so to speak. Walk a mile in our flipflops...

And waitaminnit: they don't want food in the rooms due to hygiene/sanitation issues and trays? What on earth do they think happens with room service??? Thinking all this through before inventing money-grubbing policy changes can prevent red-faced backtracking.

Edited by sofietucker

They were looking to cut costs, IMO. They didn't foresee the strong pushback they got. IMO

They are not the only cruise line to institute a new policy and in short order recognized they needed to walk it back at least in part. ;)

Edited by sail7seas