Rough Seas on the Magic

Colts88

Just curious if anyone who has sailed the Magic experienced incredibly rough seas from leaving Port Canaveral until the Dominican? I've been on 12 cruises and never experienced this. My daughter who has cruised 5 times (9 years old) spent the whole first day getting sick. The beach pool was like a huge wave pool. It was pretty unbelievable. Other than this we had a fantastic cruise and would definitely sail the magic again. Great ship, staff, and food.

Just curious if anyone who has sailed the Magic experienced incredibly rough seas from leaving Port Canaveral until the Dominican? I've been on 12 cruises and never experienced this. My daughter who has cruised 5 times (9 years old) spent the whole first day getting sick. The beach pool was like a huge wave pool. It was pretty unbelievable. Other than this we had a fantastic cruise and would definitely sail the magic again. Great ship, staff, and food.
Which month of the year? Are you saying this just happened with you recently?

Did a cruise out of Port Canaveral last summer was smooth as glass. Did a Cruise In January and March of this year. Had some rough seas...(NOT a stormy day) on both of them! Just some bad luck I guess.

We were on the Sunshine out of PC on 3/25/17 and we had rough seas as well until the evening of 3/26. It was very windy out and we had 40 knot winds until Sunday evening around 6 pm. Captain said seas were about 8-9 feet. The pool was like a wave pool on the Sunshine. I didn't notice anyone sick but I'm sure there were. After that, we hit smooth seas the rest of the way!

Very rough for us in early March! I would not get a cabin anywhere near the front of the ship! It was so rough and waves were crashing the first 3 nights of the cruise and the last night returning to Port Canaveral. Took Bonine every day and night!

I have sailed from Florida to the Virgins many times. Your are always beating going south against the Gulfstream. The return trip is much more comfortable, all the time. Although it's not the gulfstream, sailing from BVI to St.Martin is always a washing machine on the way down and surfing on the way back. It's called the Anegada passage, appropriately nicknamed the " ohmygodda" passage. Capt. Evan

I've been on the same ship out of FLL to the same itinerary and on one time the seas were like glass and the the next it was like going on Space Mountain.

You never know what the seas are going to be like. The same beach has been like glass on one day and very wavy the next. All depends on the weather and not the ship.

For anyone to blame the seas on the cruise line is ludicrous.........

It's like blaming Ford for traffic on the highway for the car you just bought......Ludicrous right???

I was on the Magic this past week....yes, the first Sea Day was very rough BUT if you looked outside you would see we were going through a HUGE storm, huge waves, rain pouring off and on all day, and thunderstorms in distance, the wind was a crosswind, so the boat was rocking and pools closed for part of the day. It was back to normal by dinnertime.

It had nothing to do with the Magic..... it was a freakin' storm that our captain had to cross through to get to Amber Cove.

The gulf stream runs 4-40 miles offshore going north at 3-6 knots... like a river, when we get cold fronts with strong north winds, the friction of wind from the north, against this current running north can cause some HUGE seas in the stream... usually happens only in winter (and sometimes spring).

We sailed Regal Princess out of FLL back in November - 1st night had pretty rough seas. I think it was the sea, not the ship. We sailed Carnival Magic out of Galveston in January one year and also had 1 rough night. The rest was pretty smooth.

What does the rough seas have to do with the Magic.

We had extremely rough seas on our Magic cruise between Port Canaveral and Amber Cove and we departed December 17, 2016. We were also dodging a storm, and the rest of the cruise was much, much smoother.

We were on this same sailing and do not remember this being the case? I think there was maybe one night where the sea's were a little roly poly (3 or 4 ft possibly) and we did not go aft that night (no dinner in the MDR or comedy club as they are both aft and you can feel the seas much more back there) but that is the only time I remember even noticing the movement.

We have traveled in December or early January for last 5 or 6 years (as well as April and August) and cannot say that the weather was "bad" on any of them. Maybe some rain but nothing that caused big enough waves to make it so everyone was sick or things were falling all over the place. DH is naturally subject to motion sickness and uses the patch as well as Bonine, so it might have affected him more so on the rainy days.

My brother, sil and kids have gone in 2x's in November (thanksgiving week) and it seems like they had much worse weather as they come down the coast from either NY or Baltimore area as they live in NY. They will not cruise again from up north in November...lol.

We were on this curise and yes Sunday was very rocky, and the Lido pool looked like a wave pool, but by Sunday night it was pretty smooth. I hadn't heard that there were storms in our path to Amber Cove, I must of completely missed that one : ). It did seem pretty rocky again Friday night on our way back to Port Canveral, I just chalked it up to being in the Atlantic vs. the Caribean. Overall great cruise and I would sail on the Magic again!!

I was on the Sunshine out of PC Mar 4-12 to Aruba. We had the rooms directly above the bridge on deck 9. The first 3 nights the wind was 50-60 kts and waves got up to 17-20' one night. I made for 3 sleepless nights. Wind did not die down until we were on the way back north to Grand Turk. Sea spray was on our windows 9 decks up.

We were on the March 11 sailing of the Magic and found it to be a little rocky but not too bad :). We have felt much, much greater movement on other cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the March 11 sailing, winds were 20-25 knots all the time. Only had 1 day were the pool was a giant wave pool, otherwise a smooth trip.