Tripods on Ship

I used to carry 2, table top and floor. I stopped because I just did not use them. If I wanted to do a timed shot I just braced myself.

A tripod is useful for taking pictures with you in them though. I’ve been contemplating taking mine with me because I have way too many vacation pictures and I’m not in any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A tripod is useful for taking pictures with you in them though. I’ve been contemplating taking mine with me because I have way too many vacation pictures and I’m not in any of them.

I want one because I have a slight tremor, and sometimes my pics aren't extremely clear. I know ship has movement, but it would help me.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

I want one because I have a slight tremor, and sometimes my pics aren't extremely clear. I know ship has movement, but it would help me.

In this case a monopod might work just as well plus it is much more portable. I have one that collapses down to 21" and expands to 64". I use it for taking steady video at my son's athletic events. Search Amazon for monopod and you will see many examples.

• 1 month later...
In this case a monopod might work just as well plus it is much more portable. I have one that collapses down to 21" and expands to 64". I use it for taking steady video at my son's athletic events. Search Amazon for monopod and you will see many examples.
Great! Thanks!

I took a regular sized tripod as well as a gorilla pod with me last week. I got use of the tripod on formal night, but for the whole rest of the trip, used the gorilla pod with great results.

It was easy to carry around and set up. I was even able to take pictures of us playing in the water at the beach. It balances in the sand nicely, and I just set the camera on a timer to take our pictures.

Next time I won’t bother with the regular tripod and will just take the gorilla pod.

JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom. Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle for DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras Up To 3kg. (6.6lbs). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FGTWOC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ICCkBbGETS12X

I’ve never seen or heard of any problems. I echo the gorilla pod recommendation. I don’t take a DSLR camera much anymore. I’ve found it easier to use my iPhone, gopro, and occasionally my DJI Osmo. I also use small table top tripods as well as a suction cup mount for my gopro.

There are tons of light weight collapsible tripods on the market for smaller lighter weight cameras.

Also note there is a CC forum on cameras and photography. See here

Photo & Camera Discussions

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=24703&share_sfid=118&url=https%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Ecruisecritic%2Ecom%2Fforumdisplay%2Ephp%3F118&share_type=sf

I took a regular sized tripod as well as a gorilla pod with me last week. I got use of the tripod on formal night, but for the whole rest of the trip, used the gorilla pod with great results.

It was easy to carry around and set up. I was even able to take pictures of us playing in the water at the beach. It balances in the sand nicely, and I just set the camera on a timer to take our pictures.

Next time I won’t bother with the regular tripod and will just take the gorilla pod.

JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom. Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle for DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras Up To 3kg. (6.6lbs). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FGTWOC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ICCkBbGETS12X

Great idea! Can almost put the camera anywhere!

Thank you.

I’ve never seen or heard of any problems. I echo the gorilla pod recommendation. I don’t take a DSLR camera much anymore. I’ve found it easier to use my iPhone, gopro, and occasionally my DJI Osmo. I also use small table top tripods as well as a suction cup mount for my gopro.

There are tons of light weight collapsible tripods on the market for smaller lighter weight cameras.

Also note there is a CC forum on cameras and photography. See here

Photo & Camera Discussions

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=24703&share_sfid=118&url=https%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Ecruisecritic%2Ecom%2Fforumdisplay%2Ephp%3F118&share_type=sf

I have a phone with a great camera, but nothing beats my big Sony digital and video cams!

Seconding the Gorilla pod. I used it to take 360 video of sail away from FLL on our balcony. I will get a monopod before my next cruise, and I love my tripod, but it's not that portable.

I would never bring my tripod on a cruise....because if I tried I would likely end up wearing it when DW saw me packing it....It is just too bulky. I know from my own experience I can generally hand hold down to about 1/8 of a second and with the newer cameras you can just crank the ISO up and go.

If you don't need the wrap-around qualities of a GorillaPod, I highly recommend a GreenPod. Think of a beanbag with a tripod socket in it. Really useful if (and RCCL ships don't say this) a location explicitly states "no tripods," but way better than balancing your camera on the fat lens cap from your 14-24mm f/2.8 lens. Which I tried to do once in Grand Central Terminal. It was unnerving. The GreenPod is nice because the beanbag can mold itself to the top of a wide, non-flat railing. I wouldn't use it, however, on the railing of a cruise ship because it sits on, not straps to, surfaces.

I would never bring my tripod on a cruise....because if I tried I would likely end up wearing it when DW saw me packing it....It is just too bulky. I know from my own experience I can generally hand hold down to about 1/8 of a second and with the newer cameras you can just crank the ISO up and go.

The tripod definitely took up a lot of space.

I don’t use the tripod for shake or lowlight though, I use it so that I can actually be in some of the pictures instead of always behind the camera, haha.

I set the gorilla pod in all kinds of random spots to get photos of the two of us. I attached it to the top of a park bench, I put it inside a potted plant, attached it to railings on the ship, and I used it a LOT in the sand on the beach. I was able to get level shots even on uneven ground since the legs bend and contort and are easily buried in sand for stabilization.

I got some really awesome shots of us in the water, walking the beach, dancing and being silly etc. I even put it on vacant table tops when were eating and got shots of us having meals together on the ship and in local restaurants. No selfies, and I never once had to ask a fellow traveler to take a picture of us.

On my last cruise I used my cell phone and a cheap point and shoot. My photos this time came out SO amazing. I’m really happy I took the DSLR and the gorilla pod.