Cruising from Dubai - Mariner of the Seas

So we are exploring trips and stumbled across the April 2018 sailing from Dubai, through Jordan, Suez Canal, Jerusalem, Crete and ending up in Barcelona.

Has anyone done such a trip before? Thoughts? How about the Mariner. I know it's old, but I am sure it is in good shape.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

We did a similar itinerary (15 nights) , Dubai, Oman, Suez Canal, Israel, Greece and ending in Istanbul in 2015. It was a fantastic trip and for us the ship was secondary. We sailed the Rhapsody which was just fair. We took the Mariner in 2004 when she was new but have not sailed that ship since 2008.

The sights were incredible but unfortunately we sailed through the Suez Canal in the evening. Not sure if RCCL knew of the evening passage because we had several enrichment lectures on the Canal and there were many extra activities ( champagne lunch) offered. Many had taken the ship just because of the Canal portion and were upset with evening passage. We hit Egypt just after sunrise.

Also interesting was the portion through the Gulf of Aden. Lots of security on board, requirement to keep lights low and curtains closed in the evenings, no outside deck use for evenings and we had a special "Safe Haven" drill. Kind of the opposite of Muster. With this drill you stay inside and away from any windows. The Gulf of Aden passage was a few days.

Hope you decide to take the cruise

Enjoy

m

ps - are you sure about Jordan? We made two different stops, Muscat and Salalah, in the country of Oman

We did a similar itinerary (15 nights) , Dubai, Oman, Suez Canal, Israel, Greece and ending in Istanbul in 2015. It was a fantastic trip and for us the ship was secondary. We sailed the Rhapsody which was just fair. We took the Mariner in 2004 when she was new but have not sailed that ship since 2008.

The sights were incredible but unfortunately we sailed through the Suez Canal in the evening. Not sure if RCCL knew of the evening passage because we had several enrichment lectures on the Canal and there were many extra activities ( champagne lunch) offered. Many had taken the ship just because of the Canal portion and were upset with evening passage. We hit Egypt just after sunrise.

Also interesting was the portion through the Gulf of Aden. Lots of security on board, requirement to keep lights low and curtains closed in the evenings, no outside deck use for evenings and we had a special "Safe Haven" drill. Kind of the opposite of Muster. With this drill you stay inside and away from any windows. The Gulf of Aden passage was a few days.

Enjoy

m

ps - are you sure about Jordan? We made two different stops, Muscat and Salalah, in the country of Oman

We were very interested in this cruise until we looked at the itinerary. Yes, it makes a stop in Aqaba, Jordan, but no stops in Oman and just one stop in Israel and a stop in Chania, Crete before ending in Barcelona. Not a great itin for a Suez Canal cruise IMO. Also, the canal crossing is scheduled for overnight as well. Don't know why they do this, must be a reason though.

Thanks - didn't know there was a stop in Jordan.

For several days prior to the Suez Canal portion, they kept telling us it was to be mid morning, and all day. Then, all of the sudden, we started in about the evening prior to the "scheduled" daytime passage . Captain came on the speaker and told us we had to go then or wait for 2 days for a day time passage and miss our first stop in Israel. The Canal portion was not the reason we took the cruise so we were fine with the change. Other were very upset.

Hopefully we'll have a chance to try it again. The lectures made it look very interesting.

Happy sailing

M

The night discount.;p

not sure - most of the ships that go through that areas are commercial or cargo ships so time of day likely does not matter to them. Only passengers ship. RCCL had many reservations for special canal passage activities.

m

We were very interested in this cruise until we looked at the itinerary. Yes, it makes a stop in Aqaba, Jordan, but no stops in Oman and just one stop in Israel and a stop in Chania, Crete before ending in Barcelona. Not a great itin for a Suez Canal cruise IMO. Also, the canal crossing is scheduled for overnight as well. Don't know why they do this, must be a reason though.

The Canal is open for trips from the Med in the day time and the other way at night. This is how the Canal rule makers control traffic. It is their rule

Enjoy

m

Yeah.. it's Aqaba Jordan.

Based on the fact that it appears that the travel through the canal might be at night, then I would think that it would not really be worth it. Part of the excitement is the travel through the Canal.

The Canal is open for trips from the Med in the day time and the other way at night. This is how the Canal rule makers control traffic. It is their rule

Interesting, never heard that before. So if you want to see the Canal during daylight then the only way is to do a southbound passage I guess and they don't offer them too often ☹️

So if you want to see the Canal during daylight then the only way is to do a southbound passage I guess and they don't offer them too often ☹️

Ovation last year. Passion in 2019. Any ship that repositions to Dubai in the winter.

Ovation last year. Passion in 2019. Any ship that repositions to Dubai in the winter.

Thanks for this, I'll check it out. I've seen a few southbound canal cruises in the past but it seemed like they always conflicted with Thanksgiving and/or family holiday outings.

Even if you sail through the Canal at night, I would still do the cruise. You have some fabulous

ports there and some leisurely days at sea. Dubai is just a cool city to explore. In Jordan you have to

see Petra. We did Petra and the Wadi Rum on a private tour. It was one of our best adventures ever.

And Israel is just breathtaking.

I vote, yes, you do it. I wish I had the time. Just thinking about it makes we want to go back.

We are booked on this cruise all the way from Singapore to Miami and yes we did the same thing in reverse from Houston to Dubai when Mariner was heading to Asia. We cruised on Mariner last October in China and she is still in great condition.

Oman (Muscat) is on the itinerary but it's part of the section from Singapore to Dubai. Aquba is a lovely place and as someone says, it's a great trip to Petra and Wadi Rum from there.

There is already a very busy Roll Call for this section of the Global Odyssey, as RCI are calling it.

I'm not sure about this. We stopped in a 'lake' in the middle of the Suez Canal and waited for the North heading ships to pass use before we could complete our Southern transit out of the canal and into the Gulf. All this was done during the day.

What is your source for this? The Suez Canal Authority website says the Northbound convoy leaves at 0400. The poster who mentioned a night passage on a cruise in 2015 would have been before the new canal opened.

http://www.suezcanal.gov.eg/English/Navigation/Pages/NavigationSystem.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure about this. We stopped in a 'lake' in the middle of the Suez Canal and waited for the North heading ships to pass use before we could complete our Southern transit out of the canal and into the Gulf. All this was done during the day.

In November last year heading South we saw the Northbound convoy during the day too. We didn't have to wait, I believe we passed them mostly in the new dual canal section, but I'd have to check photos to be sure.

The point is that Northbound transits happen during the day, as you say. The transit may be shown as an overnight on a cruise schedule, but that is because ships have to arrive at the RVP and anchor the night before the transit.

Totally incorrect I'm afraid. My friend does this trip regularly and we always see daylight photos going north through the canal.

Even if you sail through the Canal at night, I would still do the cruise. You have some fabulous

ports there and some leisurely days at sea. Dubai is just a cool city to explore. In Jordan you have to

see Petra. We did Petra and the Wadi Rum on a private tour. It was one of our best adventures ever.

And Israel is just breathtaking.

I vote, yes, you do it. I wish I had the time. Just thinking about it makes we want to go back.

Thanks for this, I'm actually really considering this cruise now. I've been to Dubai and Muscat before (on a cruise) and Petra is on the bucket list for me. Wish there were two stops in Israel but one day is better than none and I would love to see Jerusalem. Rates are very low for a 15 night cruise as well. Hmmmmm.....

What is your source for this? The Suez Canal Authority website says the Northbound convoy leaves at 0400. The poster who mentioned a night passage on a cruise in 2015 would have been before the new canal opened.

http://www.suezcanal.gov.eg/English/Navigation/Pages/NavigationSystem.aspx

My source is my own personal observation since I was on the ship when we did this.

My source is my own personal observation since I was on the ship when we did this.

I wasn't questioning your observations. The post you quoted, I was asking AWOL about their assertion that Northbound passages were at night, same as you did :)

We are booked on this cruise all the way from Singapore to Miami and yes we did the same thing in reverse from Houston to Dubai when Mariner was heading to Asia. We cruised on Mariner last October in China and she is still in great condition.

Oman (Muscat) is on the itinerary but it's part of the section from Singapore to Dubai. Aquba is a lovely place and as someone says, it's a great trip to Petra and Wadi Rum from there.

There is already a very busy Roll Call for this section of the Global Odyssey, as RCI are calling it.

We are also doing the full 41 day cruise. The itinerary for the second leg show entering the Suez Canal at 9:00 p.m. on April 30th and leaving the canal at 3:00 p.m. on May 1st. So it appears that part of the transistor of the canal will be during the day.

I wasn't questioning your observations. The post you quoted, I was asking AWOL about their assertion that Northbound passages were at night, same as you did :)

Sorry, getting confused with the posts :)

We are also doing the full 41 day cruise. The itinerary for the second leg show entering the Suez Canal at 9:00 p.m. on April 30th and leaving the canal at 3:00 p.m. on May 1st. So it appears that part of the transistor of the canal will be during the day.

If it is the same as the last transit we did, you arrive at the beginning of the canal and wait for the time when we can leave in a convoy of ships. So it's possible we may enter the canal at 9pm but not actually start the transit until early the next morning.

This is no longer the case.

The new canal opened fully last year and is wider and deeper.

We did the Suez in March on the Legend and were 18 hours behind that freighter that the Pirates grabbed. Talking about an interesting time.

Oh yes and the Sand Storm in the Red Sea the day before we started the transit was also interesting.

Just called to book the 41 day Singapore to Miami cruise, was told I can only book the first two legs to Barcelona, the third leg to Miami is unworkable at this point because of the dry dock scheduled. Was told the drydock would be in Miami, but no one can book the Barcelona to Miami cruise. Aren't there people already booked on the 5/7 to 5/20 cruise? Has anyone else heard anything? A few minutes ago the website was still showing prices starting at $717 for said cruise