When is a good time to transfer a booking to a TA?

When is a good time to transfer a booking to your TA if I book on a ship or on land with Holland? But why transfer to your TA right a way? If you wait, you can call Holland and they will speak to you without any problem. If you transfer it immediately to your TA, Holland won't talk to you. Can you transfer it any time before final payment and still get whatever your TA is giving you? What is everyone thoughts? Thanks ( I am just trying to get smarter)

I have used a TA and a PCC but have never transferred a booking. I lean towards dealing with HAL directly unless I can get a really good deal with the TA. My current TA asked me to transfer my Maasdam booking to her letting me know that "HAL prefers to work with TAs". I'm leery of doing this unless there is a big plus in transferring the booking. Will be curious to hear what other CC members think.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I always appreciate the help, as well as occasional OBC our TA gives. We booked our upcoming cruise while on a cruise last year and had it immediately put in our TA's name. Recently she was able to get us a discount on our HAL shore excursions for the upcoming cruise. They were not available at the time of booking. Every benefit helps. Since we had a specific cabin we wanted, there was no reason to work with a PCC in selecting the cruise or cabin. I'm sure things are different for other cruisers, but this works for us. Good luck with all your cruising details.

While on a March 2011 Caribbean cruise we booked 2012 VoV cruise. I asked the FCC to leave it with Holland and not give it to the TA we booked that cruise with. I shopped it around for awhile with different TA's to see best price and OBC. The price never came down and frankly did not expect it to on that one. I finally transferred it on to a TA to get the additional OBC. Nice thing with booking on ship was getting all the dinner times and table set up like I wanted it.

I transfer it as soon as I hear an offer I like. My current TA has been great. She always gets me a better price and lots of OBC. I found her by chance at a big online agency. The one I had before became a pain to deal with.

I transfer it as soon as I hear an offer I like.

I agree. The better deal of a lower price, on-board credits, extra bennies, or some combination might not be there later on.

I would much rather let my TA do whatever work needs doing with Holland America than do it myself. I can use the time for other things. :D

We are from Australia and normally book our cruises with a US TA , because they offer good discounts and OBC .

Australian TAs by comparison offer very little, usually about $100 only

But HAL do not allow Australians to book via the US unless they have a residential address there

Our first HAL cruise was therefore booked direct with HAL Australia

This is much easier because no difference with day or time

Only hope that Australian TAs increase there discounts

We transfer to TA just before final payment date. We get additional OBC, discounted price, internet minutes, PG dinners and wine depending on the length and value of the cruise just by asking what will you do if we transfer booking to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We transfer to TA just before final payment date. We get additional OBC, discounted price, internet minutes, PG dinners and wine depending on the length and value of the cruise just by asking what will you do if we transfer booking to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am thinking of doing it that way from now on, that way you can speak to Holland about anything with no problems

I have used a TA and a PCC but have never transferred a booking. I lean towards dealing with HAL directly unless I can get a really good deal with the TA. My current TA asked me to transfer my Maasdam booking to her letting me know that "HAL prefers to work with TAs". I'm leery of doing this unless there is a big plus in transferring the booking. Will be curious to hear what other CC members think.

Not true that HAL prefers to work just with TA's. Your TA wanted your booking and commission would receive for it. In saying that...the transfer has to be done before final payment is due. I have booked my own through HAL and also through a TA. If the TA isn't offering OBC or other perks then there is no reason to transfer the booking. You have already done all the work and you can call HAL anytime and get answers to your questions. Once you have transferred the booking to the TA then all questions have to be through the TA to HAL. Bottom line is what ever works best for you.

When we deal with the FCC she/he automatically turns our booking over to our TA using the information from our current cruise booking. The FCC is able to see what kind of “group booking discount” our TA can offer us (apparently that's stored in HAL's system) and that's the price the FCC advises us of. The FCC sends an email to our TA advising her of our booking and by the time we get home we have an email from our TA advising us she is aware of our booking and indicating any other discounts & OBCs that we will be getting. It's kind of like "one stop" shopping for the best deal.

We always book with PCC, get room, dining and all that stuff settled and then transfer to TA and get whatever goodies they are able to give us. We also get insurance through our TA. Is it OK to wait until just before final payment, transfer to TA and get insurance at that point?

I have used a TA and a PCC but have never transferred a booking. I lean towards dealing with HAL directly unless I can get a really good deal with the TA. My current TA asked me to transfer my Maasdam booking to her letting me know that "HAL prefers to work with TAs". I'm leery of doing this unless there is a big plus in transferring the booking. Will be curious to hear what other CC members think...

Great sales line! Kudos to your travel agent.

We always book with PCC, get room, dining and all that stuff settled and then transfer to TA and get whatever goodies they are able to give us. We also get insurance through our TA. Is it OK to wait until just before final payment, transfer to TA and get insurance at that point?

Will Holland lower the price if you call them before the final payment??

Edited by we're sailing away....

It is always good to check prices online to see if your stateroom category has had a price reduction. New promotions come up all the time and your price may go down. I would call HAL and have them check the pricing for you before final is due and if any new promotions would qualify you for a price reduction.

Does HAL assume that your current TA will always be your TA? We are using a TA for our upcoming cruise and so far, we are less than impressed with the service. We are thinking of going back to booking directly with HAL on any future cruises. Is there anything that we need to do other than just booking ourselves?

Does HAL assume that your current TA will always be your TA? We are using a TA for our upcoming cruise and so far, we are less than impressed with the service. We are thinking of going back to booking directly with HAL on any future cruises. Is there anything that we need to do other than just booking ourselves?

No Hal Does not assume your current TA will always be your TA. Just book your cruise online or go through reservations. If you book a future cruise while onboard a cruise then your current TA is given the booking. If that happens then when you get home you can call HAL and let them know you are not using the TA but want control of the booking yourself.

No Hal Does not assume your current TA will always be your TA. Just book your cruise online or go through reservations. If you book a future cruise while onboard a cruise then your current TA is given the booking. If that happens then when you get home you can call HAL and let them know you are not using the TA but want control of the booking yourself.

If you book on board with the future cruise consultant, just ask that the booking does not go to the travel agent. The cruise consultant will ask you to sign a form for this.

Jim