Worst Traffic Congestion in the United States

rockabutzer

Anyone thinking of renting a car while in Honolulu should read this article and beware. :eek:

Not that I think it will stop anyone from doing so, but a little education can't hurt. Right?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/la-does-not-have-worst-traffic-congestion.html

Aloha

Yup, heard about it last night, thanks for the link. It is what it is............

Yes, we're still renting a car, hard not too when you want to go to the North Shore (without being stuck on a tour bus). Would love to use the bus system if only we had more time on Ohau.

Maybe it is because I am from New York City, but I didn't think traffic was horrendous. Yes, it is congested and you just have to go wit the flow (or pull out that GPS and try alternatives!).

Aloha.

Give yourself about 45 minutes to get to your destination on a weekday afternoon.

Good suggestion, was planning on that, thanks!

Maybe it is because I am from New York City, but I didn't think traffic was horrendous. Yes, it is congested and you just have to go wit the flow (or pull out that GPS and try alternatives!).

Aloha.

Living on LI all my life and spending time in the city, it doesn't scare me either............45+ years commuted from Suffolk to the Queens/Nassau border..............I'm immune, lol :eek:

TheBus - local public transit is excellent and cheap. In three visits recently to Oahu, have yet to need a car.

Yup, heard about it last night, thanks for the link. It is what it is............

Yes, we're still renting a car, hard not too when you want to go to the North Shore (without being stuck on a tour bus). Would love to use the bus system if only we had more time on Ohau.

Me too, Tyskie. That way you can stop and go at your leisure. :D

Aloha

We spend at least a week on Oahu every year (just got back) and yes, I do think the traffic is as bad as they say. Yet another reason we stay on the windward side of the island (Kailua is our favorite) and plan our trips so that we avoid the H1 during the commuter hours. Traffic also gets bad on the Kamehameha Highway: 35 MPH, frequent left turners, and if there's an accident that ties up both lanes, you're screwed.

I still love Oahua, though!

Honolulu is a vibrant city, with traffic jams on morning and evening commutes. If you can avoid the time you would avoid in other cities you will be fine. We drive between North Shore and Waikiki and know to avoid certain times of day. When you are on vacation and do not have to drive at the same time as those who are going to work you will be fine. Cherie p.s. unless the surf is up on North Shore.

Everyone should see the Zipper being used at least once. The monster size machine runs down the middle of the freeway in Honolulu and moves the center barrier over to the other side of the lane allowing an extra lane for the side that needs it. As bad as the rush hour traffic is it would be 20 - 25% worse without the zipper :eek:

I know (some of us are easily amused :D)

The Honolulu traffic is only in a couple of select locations and a couple of times a day. I find it much easier than LA or Seattle traffic.

And after reading the original article, it only has one time/location for Honolulu where traffic is bad. But if you keep reading, it shows like three locations around LA where it is bad. It's all based on the average amount of time wasted at each location for the year.

So, I imagine if your commute encompassed all three of those congested areas around LA, your commute would be a living hell. :eek:

We just came home yeterday. We are in the Boston area and I didn't think the traffic was that bad, not like Rt 125/95. We just planned around rush hour. We had not problems at all.

Elaine

Archived