Alaska Cruise

1city@atime

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on taking a round trip cruise from Vancouver VS. a one way trip from vancouver? Planning a cruise next summer. We are in are our 40's and our aunt and uncle are in their late 60's. We don't plan on doing any land tours. Just interested in a relaxing cruise and seeing the sights. Appreciate any tips, comments, opinions.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think there's such a thing as a RT from Vancouver. RT from Seattle is an option.

For me, it's all about the time in port. I book whichever itinerary calls in ports the longest regardless of whether it's RT or one-way Alaska is about itinerary. You'll also have more chance of rougher seas sailing out of Seattle (that said, the roughest seas I've been in on any cruise were on a one-way NB!).

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on taking a round trip cruise from Vancouver VS. a one way trip from vancouver? Planning a cruise next summer. We are in are our 40's and our aunt and uncle are in their late 60's. We don't plan on doing any land tours. Just interested in a relaxing cruise and seeing the sights. Appreciate any tips, comments, opinions.

We always do two week cruises from Vancouver. For a little than the price of airfare we can do the second week back to Vancouver.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I could be mistaken, but I don't think there's such a thing as a RT from Vancouver. RT from Seattle is an option.

For me, it's all about the time in port. I book whichever itinerary calls in ports the longest regardless of whether it's RT or one-way Alaska is about itinerary. You'll also have more chance of rougher seas sailing out of Seattle (that said, the roughest seas I've been in on any cruise were on a one-way NB!).

You can do a return to Vancouver. You just do a B2B from Vancouver.

Seven day northbound and stay on for another seven. Days southbound.

You can do a return to Vancouver. You just do a B2B from Vancouver.

Seven day northbound and stay on for another seven. Days southbound.

Of course you can, but that's doing a B2B not a RT from Vancouver. Is there such a thing? As I said, there may be, but I've never seen one...

Of course you can, but that's doing a B2B not a RT from Vancouver. Is there such a thing? As I said, there may be, but I've never seen one...

Celebrity and Holland America both do run cruises from Vancouver. Sometimes Holland America and Princess sell fourteen day return from Vancouver.

Norwegian has a Rt from Vancouver, only 1 sail date. My husband thinks onw way may be better, any comments for north or south route? I read inside passage is calm seas??

I've done NB and SB and RT. I prefer SB because I like to get the flight out of the way before the cruise. The reasoning I've seen for NB being better is that the scenery gets better as you go north.

Celebrity and Holland America both do run cruises from Vancouver. Sometimes Holland America and Princess sell fourteen day return from Vancouver.

I've never heard the term "run cruise," but I assume that's a RT? As I said, I've never seen a RT from Vancouver and also said I could be wrong.

Nieuw Amsterdam does a 7 day RT out of Vancouver, the ports are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. The stop in Victoria is eliminated (because Vancouver is your Canada port) so you get a bit more sea time than on the Eurodam which sails out of Seattle and makes a stop in Victoria for its "foreign" port. That is the main reason we chose the NA... we are cruising to see Alaska so the more time there the better. Of course we live in Oregon so will not fly and it's not that much more of a drive past Seattle to Vancouver. Flying into Vancouver vs Seattle might be a different ballgame.

Norwegian has a Rt from Vancouver, only 1 sail date. My husband thinks onw way may be better, any comments for north or south route? I read inside passage is calm seas??

Would prefer RT from Vancouver, just to avoid taking flights.

Other lines do it, like Celebrity (we have one booked in fact). But I haven't seen that itinerary on NCL.

I noticed the ports are far from Anchorage airport. Seems like a hassle to get from Seward or Whitier to Anchorage. The easiest way looks like booking transfer with cruise line. Which is why I was considering the RT from vancouver.

Is the extra hassle worth it?

1city@atime,

Earlier this year I was booked on a round trip cruise on The Norwegian Sun out of Vancouver, B.C. It was on Monday September 18th. I could not get it to work out for me.

The last time I did an embarkation from Vancouver, it was very trying. From what I read from the first cruises departing Vancouver earlier this month, embarkation was still a disaster. Do not know why it is so difficult in Vancouver.

I am heading out on a roundtrip cruise from Seattle in early September. Now that the Bell Street Terminal renovations are complete, embarkation and debarkation should be good.

We did Seattle to Juneau. Flew to Seattle and visited San Juan Islands for a few days. Stayed in Seattle one night. Did cruise.

Spent night in Juneau, then flew home next day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What cruise line were you on - the AK Marine Hy, or a Nat Geo or an UnCruise? That would be the only way that you could do that legally.

While I agree that getting the long flight over first is nice - the Sun only does Glacier Bay on the NB trip and Tracy Arm on the SB.

Other cruise lines do have RT cruises out of Vancouver BC but NCL only has the Sun doing one-ways.

It will be interesting to see how long the new Bliss stays on the old Jewel itinerary - I would think that it should be doing the one-ways to increase the cruise tour business - unless the tour company can't handle the extra people. In lieu of that, then it should take over the Pearl and go to Glacier Bay.

I noticed the ports are far from Anchorage airport. Seems like a hassle to get from Seward or Whitier to Anchorage. The easiest way looks like booking transfer with cruise line. Which is why I was considering the RT from vancouver.

Is the extra hassle worth it?

We did a Princess cruise that went from Anchorage to the port (Whittier, I think), then boarded and sailed to Vancouver. We took the bus transfer on the cruise line to the port. It is very scenic and the bus driver acted like a tour guide and explained what we were seeing (the tide coming in so strong there was about a 1' "wave" you could see progressing along, local residents fishing with round nets for the opening of one kind of salmon, etc.) There is also a train that goes out there.

We enjoyed that cruise a lot, and we saw a lot of beautiful scenery. I have to say that I think any cruise route you choose will be fantastic. We never hesitate to take an Alaskan cruise because so much of it is pure eye candy.

The ships out of Seattle usually stop in Victoria as thier Canada stop . They tend to stay in Ketchikan until 1. Jewel stretches it to 3. As they head to Victoria afterwards Vancouver based ships usually stay until between 5-7.

Got terminals. Both Vancouver and Seattle have thier ups and downs

The terminal in Vancouver can be a bit crazy in may but becomes more efficient as the season goes on but is centrally located.

I just got back from Seattle and found the the terminal entrance for bell street terminal has been relocated to the opposite side of the building from the bag drop. It faces Anthony's which is a good place to eat before or after a cruise. Pier 91 was a absolute gong show with 2 ships in. NCL has a better location on the waterfront. Edgewater hotel and Seattle Marriott Waterfront are both walking distance to pier 66