Buying beverage card

Just another question about Beverage cards... if you do not spend the total on your card do they credit it back on your credit card or could you use it on your next cruise... thks again.... :D

You will receive a credit on your final on-board statement. The card cannot be used again on your next cruise.

Be aware that the Beverage Card comes in $50, $100, and $250 denominations. Some of the bars don't have all 3 of these, but they can be obtained, usually, at high traffic bars, i.e. Ocean Bar.

I use it for the same reason as others have said. One does not need to save the charge slips, using the Card avoids cluttering the final bill, and any amount not used on the Card is refunded as a credit on your final bill. For me, using it is a no-brainer. Obtaining one is among the initial things I do upon embarkation.

I now have a question, please forgive my ignorance, I've never cruised before. I'll be on HAL Westerdam in Alaska in a month.

What is the difference between purchasing the more expensive Signature Beverage Package and the $100 Beverage Card? The description for the Beverage Card says it includes alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Are there restrictions to using the beverage card?

I now have a question, please forgive my ignorance, I've never cruised before. I'll be on HAL Westerdam in Alaska in a month.

What is the difference between purchasing the more expensive Signature Beverage Package and the $100 Beverage Card? The description for the Beverage Card says it includes alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Are there restrictions to using the beverage card?

The beverage card is like a pre-paid debit card that allows you to buy any beverage you like but there is no discount involved. The package allows you to buy up to fifteen drinks a day for one set price. It can provide a savings if you use it enough. Alcohol, specialty coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, bottled water etc.

Paul

Wings55's response to your question is one with which I agree. I have never been interested in the Signature Beverage Package because I would not get full value out of it. I find buying and using the individual Beverage Cards and purchasing one of the wine packages to meet my needs better.

Is the beverage card replaceable if you lose it?

Good question and am not sure what the definitive answer is. But, I doubt it. It does not have your name/cabin number on, but it would be connected to your stateroom account. Perhaps, the Front Office may be able to track it--and adjust any fraudulent uses--but, that I think, could be difficult to do.

Simple solution to your question: keep the card wherever you keep your stateroom door card.

Just another question about Beverage cards... if you do not spend the total on your card do they credit it back on your credit card or could you use it on your next cruise... thks again.... :D
We have bought the drink cards on 3 HAL cruises. If I am recalling correctly, each time, the unused portion went onto the account the last night. Hubby ended up with a credit, and was sent a cheque a few weeks later. I, on the otherhand, was able to use the leftover drink credit to help offset my shopping. :D

I used to buy the beverage cards when I got the 10% discount, now I'm still buying because, being a not US passenger, I dont have any signature package included on my cruise. So I'm still buying them in adcance to share the balance on my credit card.

I think we are opting to use the beverage card as well, simply because the wine I prefer is priced at 9.75 per glass and the signature beverage package specifies that only wine up to $9.00 is included. WHHHAAATTT? Why in the world would they do that? So, you need to beware of the little rules on that beverage package. Give me the card any day.

Thank you! That was actually my next question. I am going to call HAL and ask them the difference between the plain old $250 card and the signature beverage card, other than the price!

I am trying to understand this drink card system. Based on what others have explained:

There are two cards, a) for a specific amount and b) a signature beverage card. Correct?

Questions for a)

1. Can two people cruising together use the same card as often as they want until the set amount is used up during the cruise? If more is needed, we just buy another card during the cruise?

2. Whatever amount is left over is credited at the end of the cruise?

3. The card covers alcoholic drinks, freshly squeezed orange juice, specialty coffees and …?

4. The card does not give a discount for these drinks?

5. The reason to buy this card despite the lack of discount is that it is easy to check the balance on the drink card … electronically or...? Where exactly can we check the balance on the drink card regularly?

6. Does that mean we cannot check the balance on our cruise card during the cruise but we have to wait to the end of the cruise to do that? (We booked a 3 month cruise. Haven't been on a HAL ship in 5 years.)

I am trying to understand this drink card system. Based on what others have explained:

There are two cards, a) for a specific amount and b) a signature beverage card. Correct?

Answers are for the prepaid beverage card with denominations of $50, $100, $250 (I think those numbers are right, but they could be wrong.)

Questions for a)

1. Can two people cruising together use the same card as often as they want until the set amount is used up during the cruise? If more is needed, we just buy another card during the cruise? Yes

2. Whatever amount is left over is credited at the end of the cruise? Yes, it's like buying your own OBC

3. The card covers alcoholic drinks, freshly squeezed orange juice, specialty coffees and …? Soda - anything in a glass that would come from the bar

4. The card does not give a discount for these drinks? Sadly, true

5. The reason to buy this card despite the lack of discount is that it is easy to check the balance on the drink card … electronically or...? Where exactly can we check the balance on the drink card regularly? (y)

6. Does that mean we cannot check the balance on our cruise card during the cruise but we have to wait to the end of the cruise to do that? No, you can ask for the balance any time they swipe the card. (We booked a 3 month cruise. Haven't been on a HAL ship in 5 years.)

Have a GREAT cruise!

I think we are opting to use the beverage card as well, simply because the wine I prefer is priced at 9.75 per glass and the signature beverage package specifies that only wine up to $9.00 is included. WHHHAAATTT? Why in the world would they do that? So, you need to beware of the little rules on that beverage package. Give me the card any day.

Interested in saving some money when buying wine by the glass? A HAL bartender clued me into this tip and I have used it ever since. My preferred wine is Villa Maria which is not an inexpensive wine by the glass. One can buy a bottle, using whatever denomination of Beverage Card you have purchased, of your preferred wine. The bartenders where you initially purchase the bottle will store your unused bottle (white wines are kept chilled) and will serve it to you when you desire. Surprisingly, at least to me, your bottle may also be able to be retrieved--most of the time--when you are in a different Lounge when you make such a request. (This may take a small amount of time and may depend upon whether the Bar where you first bought the bottle is open or not.)

The bartender who gave me this tip received a generous gratuity at the end of my cruise. It's been a money saver for me!:D

Interested in saving some money when buying wine by the glass? A HAL bartender clued me into this tip and I have used it ever since. My preferred wine is Villa Maria which is not an inexpensive wine by the glass. One can buy a bottle, using whatever denomination of Beverage Card you have purchased, of your preferred wine. The bartenders where you initially purchase the bottle will store your unused bottle (white wines are kept chilled) and will serve it to you when you desire. Surprisingly, at least to me, your bottle may also be able to be retrieved--most of the time--when you are in a different Lounge when you make such a request. (This may take a small amount of time and may depend upon whether the Bar where you first bought the bottle is open or not.)

The bartender who gave me this tip received a generous gratuity at the end of my cruise. It's been a money saver for me!:D

So, we can be friends! Because I too love the Sauvignon Blanc wines from the Marlborough region....and now, I am looking on HAL's website and a bottle of Villa Maria (750 ml) costs 61.25 and INCLUDES the 15% service charge, and that will be about 6 glasses/bottle or about 10.20 per glass. Have you seen it on the menu for more than that price? I was thinking it was about 9.75...just enough to be excluded from that Signature Beverage Package. But, whatever...I'm going to enjoy my wine on our trip and can do the beverage card for cocktails and a wine package that includes it. I think we will be fine at any rate.

I saw that a couple of posters mention the cards cover freshly squeezed OJ. Is that not free for everyone?

Also, is the $9 limit for SBP the price before the gratuity?

Thanks!

So, we can be friends! Because I too love the Sauvignon Blanc wines from the Marlborough region....and now, I am looking on HAL's website and a bottle of Villa Maria (750 ml) costs 61.25 and INCLUDES the 15% service charge, and that will be about 6 glasses/bottle or about 10.20 per glass. Have you seen it on the menu for more than that price? I was thinking it was about 9.75...just enough to be excluded from that Signature Beverage Package. But, whatever...I'm going to enjoy my wine on our trip and can do the beverage card for cocktails and a wine package that includes it. I think we will be fine at any rate.

Yes, I have seen Villa Maria at a higher price, but it does appear during my most recent sailings that the profit margin has been reduced by HAL.

For me, having a bottle in the Ocean Bar's cooler, when I arrive at a seat in the Ocean Bar and the bartender notices my arrival, my glass of Villa Maria quickly appears.

Just came off 40 Noordam cruise, actually had a 250 card with 225 remaining, the ship gave me cash for the balance. I like using the cards vs having all these charges appear on my account much easier to spot mistakes without all the drink card charges.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I saw that a couple of posters mention the cards cover freshly squeezed OJ. Is that not free for everyone?

Thanks!

The$9 limit is before the 15% gratuity.

Questions for a)

5. The reason to buy this card despite the lack of discount is that it is easy to check the balance on the drink card … electronically or...? Where exactly can we check the balance on the drink card regularly?

6. Does that mean we cannot check the balance on our cruise card during the cruise but we have to wait to the end of the cruise to do that? (We booked a 3 month cruise. Haven't been on a HAL ship in 5 years.)

You can check balance on the receipt provided with every purchase.

Thanks!

The juice is free to all, with breakfast. After breakfast, depending on where one gets it, there may be a cost. One of our tablemates drank juice at dinner and was charged for it because the dining stewards got it at a bar. YMMV

The$9 limit is before the 15% gratuity.

The juice is free to all, with breakfast. After breakfast, depending on where one gets it, there may be a cost. One of our tablemates drank juice at dinner and was charged for it because the dining stewards got it at a bar. YMMV

Thank you for the information!

We just got off the Eurodam, a superb trip to Alaska's Inside Passage. As part of our booking through our TA, we received 2 $50.00 Beverage Cards. We also had the SBPs, so did not use the Cards. Anyway, we asked if we could get the Card amounts moved to OBC. They said no, not possible, but we could buy 2 bottles of wine and then pack in our suitcases. We did and they made it home fine.