Panama Canal 10-Day Sunfarer Cruise

knittinggirl

On the 10-Day Sunfarer (Zuiderdam) Oct or Nov 2019. Does the ship go all the way to the locks at the Pacific Ocean then turn around? Or do we have to buy a shore excursion to see the Pacific?

I heard on the TNT's the Last Ship, that there's a place where we can see both the Atlantic and Pacific ocean, any shore ex go there?

No, the ship only goes through Gatun Locks i.e. the first set of locks, then those (and only those) on Ship's excursions, debark by tender to their tours. The ship then returns through the same locks and docks in Colon to await the returning pax who took ship's tours. You can go ashore in Colon if you wish.

You can get a shore ex that will take you through Gaillard Cut, the two Pacific Locks and into the Pacific. Would love to know what area they were referring to that you could see both the Atlantic and the Pacific. To my knowledge there is not any hills that are tall enough to see both oceans in the Canal area. Perhaps they were speaking of the mountains in western Panama.

There are a couple of excursions that do go to the Pacific side. One is by a small boat -- you actually go through the other locks. The excursion is by train to the Pacific and then you return by bus.

The excursions must be booked through the ship.

We have done several partial transits on the Zuiderdam and a couple of other ships as well as many full transits and I do not know of any place where you can see both the Atlantic and Pacific side as the same time.

On the 10-Day Sunfarer (Zuiderdam) Oct or Nov 2019. Does the ship go all the way to the locks at the Pacific Ocean then turn around? Or do we have to buy a shore excursion to see the Pacific?

I heard on the TNT's the Last Ship, that there's a place where we can see both the Atlantic and Pacific ocean, any shore ex go there?

#1 As has been stated, Zuiderdam goes through the first set of canal locks (Gatun) and upon exiting the final one, will initiate a turn to port (to get out of the travel lanes) and will drop anchor. Usually four tenders get lowered who will take guests (only those with a ship-organised shorex) the 10 min ride to the Gatun Yacht Club floating tender dock. Buses and vans will be waiting for those with excursions only to return them to the port of Colon where Zuidy will arrive later that PM for the pickup

#2 There actually is such a place called Volcan Baru National Park where you can see (weather conditions permitting) both the Atlantic/Caribbean and Pacific. However, it takes a 6 hr hike to the summit (28 km and at an elevation of 1,500 meters) and a 4-5 hr hike back down. No shore excursions go there as far as I know

We did this cruise last November on the Zuiderdam and really enjoyed the trip. We had the forwardmost balcony on the port side of the ship and it was perfect to watch the ship sail into the first lock. They opened the bow deck so people could go out there to view our arrival at the lock. I went there for a little while it was too crowded so I went back to our cabin and it was much more comfortable.

We disembarked on Gatún Lake and took the train excursion from Colon to Panama City. Please note you will not see the Pacific Ocean on this tour. Once we arrived in Panama City we boarded a bus that drove us through the former US Army base, stopped at the Locks visitor for an all too short visit and then back to Colon to reboard the ship, I like trains and history so I really enjoyed the tour. My wife humored me but I think she was bored by the tour.

If you want to see the Pacifc Ocean you should probably look at a different excursion. Enjoy the cruise.

There are a couple of excursions that do go to the Pacific side. One is by a small boat -- you actually go through the other locks. The excursion is by train to the Pacific and then you return by bus.

The excursions must be booked through the ship.

We have done several partial transits on the Zuiderdam and a couple of other ships as well as many full transits and I do not know of any place where you can see both the Atlantic and Pacific side as the same time.

#2 There actually is such a place called Volcan Baru National Park where you can see (weather conditions permitting) both the Atlantic/Caribbean and Pacific. However, it takes a 6 hr hike to the summit (28 km and at an elevation of 1,500 meters) and a 4-5 hr hike back down. No shore excursions go there as far as I know

That is exactly the place that came to my mind. This area is about 300 miles west of the Canal and is very close to the border with Costa Rica. The weather up there is so fickle, you have a better chance winning the big one with Powerball than picking a clear day to see both oceans;)!

This is the BEST way to see the Canal. I did NCL Bliss and we went through the new locks. Rather boring and slow.

I did Zuiderdam in 2011 and very much enjoyed my shore excursion through the old locks in a smaller boat. Best Way I say and I did so a lot on the NCL Bliss. I told any one I could to do a partial and then a shore excursion. So much better

Thanks for all your helpful answers.

Anybody done the train ride? From the description, it sounds like we don't see much of Gatun Lake. What about the other lake that pours into Gatun Lake?

There are some parts of the train ride where you see fairly large portions of the Lake, however a lot of what you see is just some of the quiet back waters. There are two portions of the trip where the train runs near the Canal proper. It is a pleasant ride but I think the historical significance of the RR in the westward expansion of the US and the construction of the Canal is the attraction.

Regarding the lake that pours into Gatun Lake, possibly you are speaking of Lago Allajuela (Madden Lake/Dam) or crossing the Chagres River near Gamboa where it empties into the Canal. Crossing the Chagres is something that happens rather quickly, I'm sure the guide in your car will tell you when and where that occurs. There is one place you can view Madden Dam, but you really can't see much of the Lake from there. This possibly won't be included depending on how the excursion is constructed.

Again, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. We're seriously considering this. DH doesn't want to do Mexico, since we usually stay on the ship and would rather not pay all those port fees for a complete Panama Canal Transit.

How large are the boats for the boat trip through the locks? EXC mentioned we may have to wait for our ship to catch up. Do they keep us on the ship, or off load us to land for shopping?

The other time we went through the canal, we had trouble seeing the locks, because all the people crowded the outer decks.

What's the best place on the ship to get a cabin? I guess if we take the boat trip it doesn't matter.

The other time we went through the canal, we had trouble seeing the locks, because all the people crowded the outer decks.............................

If you want a spot on the bow or on the decks below the ship's bridge, you have to get up early since, along with the Crow's Nest, they are the most popular spots for viewing, at least for the first set of locks (Gatun or Miraflores). It does tend to open up a bit (on the bow) for the second lock, Pedro Miguel

24172788_10155769072110729_4884451162225747791_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7ded53a6b7cb4895f44ececc2cf0f4e6&oe=5C291257

Copper John,

Thanks for posting the beautiful pic showing the new canal near the Gatun Locks. We will be there on the Volendam next month on the reposition cruise from Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale, but doubt we will be able to see the new canal so clearly.

As a side, do you know when the last time the Volendam was in Ft Lauderdale? She has been doing Asia/Australia it seems to me for a long time.

Panama-Canal-expansion.jpg

Pic shows new Agua Clara locks on the right; old Gatun locks on the left; and Gatun Lake Yacht Club tender dock (dark blue roof to the right of the red roofed buildings) on the left bottom corner

I've been noticing a number of aerial photos in your posts. Are they from the Copper 'Copter?

Copper John,

Thanks for posting the beautiful pic showing the new canal near the Gatun Locks. We will be there on the Volendam next month on the reposition cruise from Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale, but doubt we will be able to see the new canal so clearly.

As a side, do you know when the last time the Volendam was in Ft Lauderdale? She has been doing Asia/Australia it seems to me for a long time.

Disregard earlier comment re: Pedro Miguel locks please; wrong pic and thread. Don't believe (could be wrong) HAL ships have used the new canal yet ;)

Volendam has been doing her Alaska (summer) Hawaii/South Pacific/OZ/NZ/Asia (winter) run for ten (10) years straight now (Fall 2008) The last time she was in Port Everglades/FLL was on a westbound Panama Canal transit on April 11, 2008. Prior to that, she was home based in Ft. Lauderdale during the 2007/2008 winter season when she was running 7-day Eastern/Southern/Western Carib, cruises so it's been a while ;)

Edited by Copper10-8

How large are the boats for the boat trip through the locks? EXC mentioned we may have to wait for our ship to catch up. Do they keep us on the ship, or off load us to land for shopping?

The vessels used for the partial transits are generally under 125' in length, the one that is used frequently is the Pacific Queen...

2w7e9tt.jpg

There are two other vessels that are also used are in the picture below...

1pywec.jpg

More than likely the excursion vessel will be locked together with a regular ocean going ship. Once in a while depending on Canal traffic they will lock the excursion vessel by its self or with several other smaller vessels, however this is more of the exception rather than the rule. In Copper10-8's post #13 you can see the Pacific Queen waiting for the gates to open on the west chamber.

After you tender ashore, transported to the Pacific side and board the excursion boat you will be on the excursion vessel until the transit is completed... no intermediate disembarking.

Copper John,

In the direction you are traveling you will be able to see Cocoli Locks on the Pacific side fairly well. Now it won't be a chopper eye in the sky view, but you will see the 3 "stair steps" of the new locks after you sail under the Bridge of Americas and well before you get to Miraflores Locks... port side. After clearing Miraflores Locks on the port side you will be able to see the channel that connects the Cocoli Locks with Gaillard Cut. On the Atlantic side a similar view of Agua Clara Locks can be had after the ship clears Gatun Locks and before you sail under the new Atlantic Bridge... starboard side this time. You should be able to get a great pic from the stern of ship of Agua Clara locks on the left and Gatun Locks on the right as you are heading to sea.

We did the partial Transit round trip From FLL and back to FLL a number of times, some on PRINcess, Celebrity and HAL . We loved hose cruises and learned some thing different each time

If I still had my beloved dh, I would do that cruise again. :)

Disregard earlier comment re: Pedro Miguel locks please; wrong pic and thread. Don't believe (could be wrong) HAL ships have used the new canal yet ;)

Volendam has been doing her Alaska (summer) Hawaii/South Pacific/OZ/NZ/Asia (winter) run for ten (10) years straight now (Fall 2008) The last time she was in Port Everglades/FLL was on a westbound Panama Canal transit on April 11, 2008. Prior to that, she was home based in Ft. Lauderdale during the 2007/2008 winter season when she was running 7-day Eastern/Southern/Western Carib, cruises so it's been a while ;)

I think Noordam is now doing Australia. I want to sail her again soon BUT NOT SO MUCH to fly to or from Australia. Groan

Again, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. We're seriously considering this. DH doesn't want to do Mexico, since we usually stay on the ship and would rather not pay all those port fees for a complete Panama Canal Transit.

The other time we went through the canal, we had trouble seeing the locks, because all the people crowded the outer decks.

What's the best place on the ship to get a cabin? I guess if we take the boat trip it doesn't matter.

I'm going to dispute your assertion on port fees. Be the transit full or partial, a ship will go through 6 locks, either 6 locks once each or 3 locks twice each. I checked a couple of cruises, fees for a representative partial transit (Zuiderdam 10/20/19) were $395 vs $425 (Oosterdam 4/13/19), not that big a difference.

With regard to cabin selection I have chosen a cabin on the deck just above the tender hatch for my Prinsendam cruise. I will be in my cabin for the first lock to experience the equivalent of driving into a tunnel and then gradually rising to daylight. I've done that from a public room on the Crystal Symphony and it's an interesting feeling. For the rest of the day I'd be out experiencing as many vantage points as possible, high and low, fore, midship, and aft; each will have it's special charms. As Copper states, the crowds will thin out as the day goes on.

For a really good look at the new locks, I strongly recommend a tour to the Agua Clara visitor center if it is available:

fritzin.jpg

Otherwise, you will get glances at the new locks but not a direct view.

newlocks.jpg

At each end you will pass the entry on the left side of the ship (facing the locks) as you approach either the Bridge of the Americas or the new Atlantic Bridge.

The above left panel is the view approaching the Miraflores locks from the Bridge of the Americas. As in the upper right your best view of the water saving basins will be from the summit of the Miraflores locks.

In the canal between the Miraflores and Miguel locks the ext canal from the new locks will be at about the level of the promenade deck and you will almost be looking up at any ships there(lower left).

The lower right shot is a ship going into the new locks as we approached the Gatun locks headed for the Atlantic but the best view of those locks will be as you get almost to the Atlantic Bridge.

Roy

If you want a spot on the bow or on the decks below the ship's bridge, you have to get up early since, along with the Crow's Nest, they are the most popular spots for viewing, at least for the first set of locks (Gatun or Miraflores). It does tend to open up a bit (on the bow) for the second lock, Pedro Miguel

24172788_10155769072110729_4884451162225747791_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7ded53a6b7cb4895f44ececc2cf0f4e6&oe=5C291257

Keep in mind depending upon when you go to the Big Dig, it can be extremely hot AND HUMID. The first time we went it was incredibly hot... we were used to Caribbean in summer but this was early aPRIL . If you don't like heat, get a verndah cabin and you can duck into cabin to cool off. You can hear the commentryf while in your cabin JMO i would not dream of sanding in that mob of people in ghe hot sun on gthe bow. That is how I spell miserable :D

Keep in mind depending upon when you go to the Big Dig, it can be extremely hot AND HUMID. The first time we went it was incredibly hot... we were used to Caribbean in summer but this was early aPRIL . If you don't like heat, get a verndah cabin and you can duck into cabin to cool off. You can hear the commentryf while in your cabin JMO i would not dream of sanding in that mob of people in ghe hot sun on gthe bow. That is how I spell miserable :D
We were lucky in 1999. It was actually cool during our canal transit.