Just put a hold on Regatta, Alaska. Ques. about specialty restaurants

dcsam

We just booked (tentatively) a Regatta Alaska cruise. Lowest balcony guarantee. I'm ready to make final payment, but have a couple concerns. Hopefully, some of you can respond. I read the roll call (for the May 29 cruise) about someone trying to make specialty dining reservations and were having difficulty. The specialty restaurants are important to us, and I'm wondering if we will have problems getting in. We like to eat early (5-7) and prefer a table for 2. On a 10 night cruise, I can see us eating at the specialty restaurants about half the time. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Caroline

We just booked (tentatively) a Regatta Alaska cruise. Lowest balcony guarantee. I'm ready to make final payment, but have a couple concerns. Hopefully, some of you can respond. I read the roll call (for the May 29 cruise) about someone trying to make specialty dining reservations and were having difficulty. The specialty restaurants are important to us, and I'm wondering if we will have problems getting in. We like to eat early (5-7) and prefer a table for 2. On a 10 night cruise, I can see us eating at the specialty restaurants about half the time. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Caroline

We did Alaska on Regatta this past summer. In a B2 cabin, we got pre-cruise res. for 2 in each of the two specialties with no problem. Once on board, we booked twice again (one per each restaurant) by going to the terrace grill each AM. One was for two and the second extra was for four with new friends.

BTW, the food in the Terrace Grill Is quite varied and good. Ate in the MDR twice (better than any other cruise line MDR food we've ever experienced).

The specialities open at 6.30 so that's the earliest time you can book. The "my account" section of the website will tell you the date on which you can book the pre cruise reservations. My advice is to do it as soon as you can.

The posting I read mentioned they had gone to the 'my account' section, but found very little, if anything available. Still debating. I enjoy the MDR, while my husband really enjoys the specialty restaurants. The 'included' specialty restaurants is one of the reasons I'm considering this cruise, but if we can't get in we might reconsider.

These are the rules for prebooking the Specialty Restaurants on the Regatta, and I've highlighted the sections which apply to your particular situation:

When to make your reservations:

Your booking must be paid in full.

-The online dining reservation system closes 7 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.

-Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites may make reservations 90 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Penthouse Suites may make reservations 75 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms may make reservations 60 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms may make reservations 45 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Number of reservations (Regatta, Insignia, Nautica, Sirena):

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite and Concierge Level Veranda

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

As has been stated in this thread previously, additional reservations in the Specialty Restaurants may be available on a first come first served basis, once the cruise has begun.

We are on a May 18th cruise and we booked the specialty restaurants when reservation date opened and had no problem. That is when to make reservations. And as has been previously posted, you will not get a reservation until 6:30! There is usually no problem getting other reservations once on board. Go to my account and see what you can get! Happy cruising and bon appetite!

Thank you.

Caroline

They usually hold a few reservations back so those not booking online have a chance ..

If you are on the May 29th cruise you might have slim pickings

if you are willing to share you may have more time options & are flexible on times

It is the luck of the draw if you will get date & times that you want

As a solo traveler and one who is always happy, and in fact prefers to be seated with others (and completely flexible on dates and times), will I be able to book easily enough on "days of" in the a.m. rather than in advance? I'd just as soon so I can dine wherever as the mood strikes...Thank you.

As a solo traveler and one who is always happy, and in fact prefers to be seated with others (and completely flexible on dates and times), will I be able to book easily enough on "days of" in the a.m. rather than in advance? I'd just as soon so I can dine wherever as the mood strikes...Thank you.

It will vary from cruise to cruise

Sometimes it works out sometimes not ;)

The posting I read mentioned they had gone to the 'my account' section, but found very little, if anything available. Still debating. I enjoy the MDR, while my husband really enjoys the specialty restaurants. The 'included' specialty restaurants is one of the reasons I'm considering this cruise, but if we can't get in we might reconsider.

Why don't you just pay to upgrade to a suite stateroom if they are available? Then if you cannot get as many specialty restaurant reservations as you want, your butler can serve you in your suite the same food as is in the specialty restaurants. He might also be able to get you more reservations in the SR's; however, everyone else on the ship gets to dine there a certain number of times depending on their booked class of stateroom. You did book a "balcony guarantee"....yet your post sounds like you and your husband want special privileges/guarantees or you may cancel.

"Included" does not mean "included every night".

Edited by gillianrose

I would suggest that you book online as soon as your category allows - to best suit your plans based on itinerary, tours, departures, etc. Then you can always try to change the reservations once on-board to different days/times, if you want and if available.

I think it would be easier (safer?) to change an existing reservation than to book a new one (I think). In the specialty restaurants one cannot always dine "as the mood strikes" - more like when tables are open and they may not be open "when the mood strikes" :D

and made some new CC friends on board. They pretty much dined...each and every night...in a specialty restaurant...going each AM to the desk in the reception area and taking whatever was available...re times/restaurant and/sharing etc.

As mentioned...it may vary by sailing...but make the ones you are "given" pre-boarding...in your case 45 days out...and you can either do that on line or call O to do that...and then take the "luck of the draw" and see what else you can attain while on board. I think you will find that any venue will be terrific and you will enjoy it!! LuAnn

You should realize that the specialty restaurants have a fixed menu, while the GDR menu changes every day. I remember being a bit disappointed at missing out on some of the GDR meals because they had a great menu a few times when I had committed to eating at a specialty restaurant.

Someone mentioned eating meals in a suite. Done that on two cruises, and it is not the same as eating at the restaurant. Some items have cooled down by the time they get to you.

Thank you.

Caroline

May or may not happen..depends on the cruise..if this is your first time on O, you may not realize how good the food is in the MDR

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I am on a June 27 cruise and specialty restaurant bookings opened for me yesterday. I was able to select each restaurant on any day of the cruise (each restaurant only once of course), however there was often only one timeslot available. As a first time Oceania cruiser I don't know if that is typical, but based on my experience it seems a good idea to get in and book as soon as you can if you want to have choice over the days. With a very port intensive itinerary and private tours booked on several days, I was keen to secure particular restaurants on particular days.