Charlie

newmexicoNita

To those of you who read CC a lot and have for years, I just got a message about one of our favorite contributors. She went by the name of Charlie, headed up many M&Gs, and sailed both Carnival and NCL a couple times a year.

Her husband emailed me to tell me she went to bed early on Saturday, he went to check her about 9pm and she had died. I know I certainly will miss her. She was so positive, outgoing and filled with good information.

NIta

So sad to hear about "98Charlie". I sailed with her and her husband on the Sun to Alaska a few years ago.

She called herself the candy lady.

Condolences to the family.

Fran

Fran, you know I had forgotten about the "candy lady" part. Yes, she always brought lbs and lbs of candy for the crew as well as supplies for the kids in Roatan when she and Gwynn did the western Caribbean itinerary.

I will let him know you all share our feelings for her.

Shocked and saddened beyond words. 98Charlie and her husband met us when they docked in Roatan and we communicated periodically - both on the boards and off.

A sweet lady who will be missed by all who were fortunate to meet and know her. Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire family.

I was under the Impression that "98Charlie" and her husband Had served, and she had implied that "98Charlie" was her MOS(Intelligence Cryptography & Communications).

Either way,..a very sad loss.

Bill(DrFootball)(according to the VA, everyone(who has ever served) has PTSD....)

"All gave Some, Some gave ALL" The Inscription on the back of the "Military Order of the Purple Heart"

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

I was under the Impression that "98Charlie" and her husband Had served, and she had implied that "98Charlie" was her MOS(Intelligence Cryptography & Communications).

Either way,..a very sad loss.

Bill(DrFootball)(according to the VA, everyone(who has ever served) has PTSD....)

"All gave Some, Some gave ALL" The Inscription on the back of the "Military Order of the Purple Heart"

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

i think I am a little confused> Gwynn, Charlie's husband did serve in the military, but I don't think 98Charlie did.

Yes, Dianne passed peacefully on Saturday 11-12-2011. Nita said that she had started this thread and I stopped by to express my thanks.

She would have been celebrating her 64th birthday on December 2nd in Cozumel during our Spirit cruise.

She normally brought around 50# of candy for each cruise to share with the crew. She always felt that the happiness that it brought them was worth the effort.

Regarding military service, I was the 98Charlie. When I registered for CC it was an easy screen name choice for me. We had known each other since age 10 and were married at Ft. Dix. We shared everything so it seemed normal for us to use the same CC account. There may have been confusion since my given name is often taken as a female name.

We were together during my assignment in Berlin ('69-'71) where she turned our home into a USO for many of the single soldiers in my unit. We were certainly never lonely on Thanksgiving or Christmas when she and a couple of other wives would cook holiday meals all day long.

I could go on about the many things she did for both active military and veterans over the course of our life together. Suffice it to say that she worked tirelessly in support of our troops and vets.

I truely appreciate the sentiments that have come from many CC members. You can never know how much comfort I have taken in reading the comments.

Gwynn

Dianne was a most gracious hostess for our rollcall for our Spirit sailing on Nov 27th from New Orleans. She was a wealth of info for all of us, but especially for all of us newbies.

For anyone on our sailing who did not get to join our rollcall and get to know Dianne - please join us for our meet and greet at Henry's Pub at 10:00 am on Nov 28th on our first at-sea day. We did not get to meet Dianne and Gwynn in person but most certainly our meet-up will be dedicated to the memory of our wonderful hostess - it's her party because she set it up for us!

Gwynn, I hope it helps to know that we will be thinking of you.

Archived