Maasdam as as Wonderful as Ever!!!!

sail7seas

We are happily aboard Maasdam and having a wonderful time.

I'm going to be selfish and only share brief moments here and there but want to give info that others can enjoy while waiting for their Maasdam cruises to approach.

We were picked up by our car company at 10:30...loaded our piles of luggage into his vehicle and off we went. Again, no one occured me of traveling light. Could bring all I wanted.....we weren't flying!!!

Thirty minutes later we were at Black Falcon and within 10 minutes the doors opened, we proceeded to Suite check in line and were the second people to board. We are almost always first when in Boston ;) but the penthouse folks beat us this time. :) Could not be an easier embarkation. Gotta love it. :)

Up to Lido for a great lunch. And we went to Neptune afterwards to learn our cabin was ready. In we went and found everything in great order.

New furnitre in the veranda. It was needed. The furniture last year was starting to show some age. We have the new rattan loungers (two) like on the vista ship and a slightly smaller round table than what was there previously. It still seats four though. We like the new pieces and are happy with it.

Suite Welcome Aboard party was fun. We got to meet Douglas Hernandes......HAL"s new Hotel Manager. We liked him immediately and the more we see the more impressed we are with him and totally enjoy hearing his persective comparing NCL with HAL. He spent many hears with NCL. Very interesting man IMO

Captain Arjen van der Loo was needed on the bridge as we left Boston late waiting for the stevedores to finish loading all stores. We left at 6: 30 which was no issue as we could ride the tide to Newport and be there on time. By car it is less than 2 hour ride. :) But always the gracious host, Captain appeared in Neptune Lounge to greet and say hello and it was greatly appreciated for him to make that special effort.

Met Grumpy and Slinkie at the party and that was fun. Delightful couple and I hope I see more of them.

We requested our 'regular table' and were granted our request. We also requested Nixon be our steward if possible and he had a broad smile when we came to the dining room and could tell us that, Yes,,,,, he would again be taking care of us. A great Steward....... we are lucky to have him still aboard and being so good to us. Food in dining room is excellent in our opinion. I had a wonderful wild salmon last night I loved. Delicious and DH's rack of lamb was pink to red the way he loves it and he greatly enjoyed his dinner. Steamed veggies and we were happy, happy, happy.

Maitre d' Gildus still runs a FINE dining room. He makes it look easy but we all know it isn't anything but.

Lido lunches wonderful and I can't thank you Room Service steward enough. He has been setting our breakfast on a while table cloth he brings and sets the table so lovely it is indeed a beautiful treat to start the morning this way. He has brought our order PERFECT each morning.

Every night there is a constant........you can always have grilled wild salmon, chicken breast, New York steak, onion soup and casesar salad.

Had a nice meet and greet in Crows Nest yesterday. The ship provided coffee/tea set up and several kinds of cookies. Set up very nicely. Hotel Manager came and was happy to answer questions. Great to meet everyone. NICE group.

Magnificent day in Newport today and if we happen to run into the Captain out and about we will surely thank him. I always thank the Captains on days when the sun shines and the seas are calm. I like to think they arranged it all for us!!!! For anyone who has sailed with Captain van der Loo before, you know what a great Captain he is.

Just saw the Pilot boat arrive. We leave Newport in a few minutes. On our way to Portland.

If anyone has questions........ask away.

I'll check back within the next day or so. I did not bring my laptop so am using the Explorations Cafe computer.

Bye for now.......off to enjoy "My" :) Maasdam.

Sail glad to hear you're having a great time on "your" ship, we are looking forward to meeting Mr. Hernandez when he takes over for James Deering on Oosterdam later this summer. We'll look forward to reading your report when you return.....will you be taking advantage of onboard booking for the 10/18/2008 cruise on Eurodam or will you and DH be passing on that one. Have a wonderful trip :)

Thank you for taking the time to post from that lovely ship.

Please tell Grumpy and Slinkie "HI" from Mark and Carolyn; we were fortunate to meet them on the HAL-O-ween Dam cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Cheers

Mark

Sail, you are so sweet to check in and say hi! I am so glad that the Maasdam continues to please;) it sounds like the new veranda furniture is lovely, was it changed on all of the verandas?

Have a very wonderful week and here's hoping you have calm seas and gentle breezes!

Can't wait until August 11th when we get to see the Maasdam for the first time:D and Boston:D

Linda

Sail, so glad to hear that you're having a wonderful time aboard "your" Maasdam.

I just took a quick look at the forecast for your day in Halifax and at the moment the temperature looks fine (25C) but there's a 60% chance of showers. Knowing the way our weather changes (wait 5 minutes, it'll be sure to change), I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that percentage to dwindle down to nothing.

I'm looking forward to your future updates....hope you continue to have a great time!

Oh boy!! You have me drooling. We're doing the Maasdam on January 25th for the Panama Canal and also have a suite. I was wondering about the furniture, especially on the verandah and you have the answer. Just got off the Noordam (also a suite) and note that the Maasdam suite, with the huge verandah, is larger overall, though the bathroom appears smaller, with only one sink (the other in the dressing area -- seems a little strange). Any other differences in the Vista and S class suites? There do not seem to be a lot of current photos of the Maasdam suites out there. Bon Voyage!!

Sail...thanks so much for checking in. We thought we might hear from Grumpy so it was a surprise to hear from you.

Really looking forward to boarding this coming Saturday and we are nearly packed. Will be nice to drive to the pier and we hope to be there early.

Take care and have a great cruise...we already wish we were there!

Liz

Good to hear that everything is "ship-shape" on your Maasdam! :)

Also glad to hear that Grumpy made it aboard without any crisis arising. I hope you---and all the CC'ers---continue with a beautiful cruise.

I'm planning to meet friends at the tender dock in Newport next Monday. I expect the tender will come in to the deck on America's Cup Avenue, across from Brick Market Place. Please let me know if anything's changed?

Thanks. :)

Sail - it is reassuring to know that the Maasdam is in such great shape and the folks on her are the best of the best. We are traveling to Montreal on her on September 1st. We, too, are really looking forward to being dropped off at the pier and not having to deal with flying and staying over in hotels the night before, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for posting.

Roberta

Sail - Enjoy your wonderful 2 weeks. Sure wish we were there with you. This time next year, see you in Ocean Bar on E-dam ;) .

Copper - That sure is a pretty pic you posted, but where IS it? The atrium on Maasdam? Ocean Bar?

Archived