Fake Rolex

oxbowlakeMI

Don't be a cheap skate - if you can afford a cruise you can afford a real rolex for your step son. :D

When I was there I never saw any on display, but thats not to say they are not available.

Ron

Not really relevant to the OP - sorry! - but we have a fabulous photo of my son who had, out of necessity not fashion, just bought a pair of sunglasses. Next to him is a big printed sign, announcing 'GENUINE FAKES' - which sort of begs the question about fake fakes, dont you think :confused:

When I was a kid, my mom brought me a fake rolex back from somewhere in Asia. I didn't like it much, and all of my friends knew I couldn't really afford a real one. But I did wear it some times. Then the battery ran down. I took it to a jeweler to have a new battery put in...and he refused to do so. I couldn't find anyone to put a real battery into a fake Rolex. I guess they had more scruples than my mother or I did.

You're not wrong. It is illegal. Any such items will be confiscated, and destroyed, by CPB.

no they won't be. the rules generally allow ONE of each type of knockoff to be brought back..one watch one handbag etc....I'll find the exact quote in a second....

but I wouldn't buy someone a rolex fake or otherwise, its a magnet for thieves...buy him a mickey mouse watch or what ever character he likes...

BTW the way to tell a real from a fake is a real second hand sweeps around, a fake clicks from second to second....

Trademarked and Copyrighted Articles

CBP enforces laws relating to the protection of trademarks and copyrights. Articles that infringe a federally registered trademark or copyright or copyright protected by the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works are subject to detention and/ or seizure. Infringing articles may consist of articles that use a protected right without the authorization of the trademark or copyright owner or articles that copy or simulate a protected right.

Articles bearing marks that are counterfeit or inappropriately using a federally registered trademark are subject to seizure and forfeiture. The importation of articles intended for sale or public distribution bearing counterfeit marks may subject an individual to a civil fine if the registered trademark has also been recorded with CBP. Articles bearing marks that are confusingly similar to a CBP recorded registered trademark, and restricted gray market articles (goods bearing genuine marks not intended for U.S. importation for which CBP granted gray market protection) are subject to detention and seizure.

However, travelers arriving in the United States may be permitted an exemption and allowed to import one article of each type, which must accompany the person, bearing a counterfeit, confusingly similar or restricted gray market trademark, provided that the article is for personal use and is not for sale.

This exemption may be granted not more than once every 30 days. The arriving passenger may retain one article of each type accompanying the person. For example, an arriving person who has three purses, whether each bears a different infringing trademark, or whether all three bear the same infringing trademark, is permitted only one purse. If the article imported under the personal exemption provision is sold within one year after the date of importation, the article or its value is subject to forfeiture.

In regard to copyright infringement, articles that are determined by CBP to be clearly piratical of a protected copyright, i.e., unauthorized articles that are substantially similar to a material protected by a copyright, are subject to seizure. A personal use exemption for articles, similar to that described above also applies to copyrighted articles for the personal, non-commercial use of the importer and are not for sale or distribution.

You may bring back genuine trademarked and copyrighted articles (subject to duties). Products subject to copyright protection most commonly imported include software on CD-ROMs, sound recordings, toys, stuffed animals, clothing with cartoon characters, videotapes, DVDs, music CDs and books. Products subject to trademark protection most commonly imported include handbags and accessories, and clothing.

here is the official website this came from http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml#TrademarkedandCopyrightedArticles

I've seen a number of news stories where police are raiding stores/warehouses containing all these fake copies and confiscating the merchandise and marching out in handcuffs those responsible for the items.

That leads me to believe it's probably against the law to sell or buy these things.

In Turkey and Egypt there are several places with big signs out front that say "GENUINE FAKE WATCHES". I think there's an oxymoron here.

Scott & Karen

Love those signs. You can find lots of fake rolex's in China and Vietnam for $5.00. But just like fake designer purses, etc. Customs will confiscate them if found upon entering the US.

However, travelers arriving in the United States may be permitted an exemption and allowed to import one article of each type, which must accompany the person, bearing a counterfeit, confusingly similar or restricted gray market trademark, provided that the article is for personal use and is not for sale.

Just curious, does the "may" in that quote mean that the customs official must let it in? Or does it give him/her the discretion to confiscate/destroy it? Sounds kind of vague to me.

Question for the ladies: Would you prefer to be seen with a guy with a fake Rolex or with a guy with a real Timex (a nice one of course).

Just curious, does the "may" in that quote mean that the customs official must let it in? Or does it give him/her the discretion to confiscate/destroy it? Sounds kind of vague to me.

Question for the ladies: Would you prefer to be seen with a guy with a fake Rolex or with a guy with a real Timex (a nice one of course).

They don't confiscate them if its only one and they don't think you are reselling them...and yes I know this for a fact. Want to see my Gucci shoes or Burberry raincoat from China? (notice this is one of each).

One thing that we found very amusing in Venice recently was the guy standing just outside the doorway of Louis Vuitton with 10 fake Louis Vuitton's hanging from each arm.

a warning to be careful in Italy. Its illegal there to possess fake copyrighted material. but they don't fine the local selling to you. They fine YOU a couple of hundred dollars....

A real Timex- and that's coming from a real Rolex owner. If someone is willing to buy a product that infringes on patent rights, made by slave labor in a country that does not tolerate any religion that's not the official government version, he does not share my values. And pretending you can afford something by buying a knockoff is just tacky.

First I'd ever heard of importing a counterfeit without it being illegal. I wonder if it's too good looking if customs would make you pay duty on a real Rolex. I assume it's incumbent on the cruiser to prove it's a fake.

If I know the difference between fakes and reals don't you think they know? You pay on the value of the item. A fake isn't worth much. But I remind people its illegal to buy a quantity back and try to resell them. I have seen customs take away multiple different handbags and tell the traveler to pick one....

BTW many of the "fakes" are made by the same slave labor that makes the real ones...is it ok for the company that sells the real one to make a 10,000 percent mark up because of the trade mark? But that is another discussion for another time(generics vs branded)...

I just love it when all these people in the know about how watches are made with slave labour. real Rolex's being made next to the real cuckoo clocks in Switzerland, and the fake one being made mostly by cottage industries in China (where the whole family will live fromit).

To those in the know, what about your morning orange juice that is made from oranges picked by slave labor (under paid) in Florida and California.

Ron

Ya learn something new every day. I wonder what's next. Allowing illegal drugs for "personal use"? :eek: I'm sorry, but to me wrong is wrong. :rolleyes:

Ya learn something new every day. I wonder what's next. Allowing illegal drugs for "personal use"? :eek: I'm sorry, but to me wrong is wrong. :rolleyes:

actually it is the same rule that allows the re-importation of brand named prescription drugs into the US. Its the exact same trademark issue. These drugs are for sale overseas only-at different price points but Customs also looks the other way for personal use.

Archived