Do the Koningsdam Balconies have lights outside?

Ayrity

If I wanted to read out on the balcony at midnight say, is there a light out on the balcony, or should I be sure to bring a book light?

Just curious, we've never had any balcony for a HAL cruise before, and can;t find this mentioned anywhere, thanks!

I've hasd balcony cabins on about 200 HAL c ruises. I've sailed all the current and recent HAl sHIPS BUT FOR kONINGSDAM AND EVERY cabin has always had a balcony light that was adequate foer me to reead at night.

The only place I know of where there cannot be a balcony light at night is directly under the b ridge. It t would be very unlikely K'dam's verandahs do not have lights.

Edited by sail7seas

I've hasd balcony cabins on about 200 HAL c ruises. I've sailed all the current and recent HAl sHIPS BUT FOR kONINGSDAM AND EVERY cabin has always had a balcony light that was adequate foer me to reead at night.

The only place I know of where there cannot be a balcony light at night is directly under the b ridge. It t would be very unlikely K'dam's verandahs do not have lights.

200 HAL cruises? I guess you must mean 200 cruise days.

To the topic, yes there has always been a light on the balcony on all our cruises.

If I were a betting person, I'd bet on sail7seas. And, in no event would I presume to know what she "must mean"!!!

Not to go off topic, but since you have...Sail has posted consistently 80 cruises and then 80+ cruises. that's a long ways from 200 cruises ;)

Respectfully she holds her platinum medallion and it looks great on her but I think she has a ways to go to be part of the President's Club which 200 cruises would give her with her record of B2B's ;)

If I wanted to read out on the balcony at midnight say, is there a light out on the balcony, or should I be sure to bring a book light?

Just curious, we've never had any balcony for a HAL cruise before, and can;t find this mentioned anywhere, thanks!

Please think about using your book light. In the past we have had neighbours who have left their balcony light on much of each night. It can be distracting, to be honest, and can make it difficult for the people nearby to enjoy sitting in the dark enjoying what is visible by moonlight.

Please think about using your book light. In the past we have had neighbours who have left their balcony light on much of each night. It can be distracting, to be honest, and can make it difficult for the people nearby to enjoy sitting in the dark enjoying what is visible by moonlight.

I'm not sure why people wanting to sit on their balcony in the dark should take precedence over those who want to sit on their own balcony reading with their light on. DW and I often sit on our balcony with the light out, but have never been bothered by neighbours' lights that are on and we would never think to ask them to turn them off.

To the topic, yes there has always been a light on the balcony on all our cruises.

Acually, I am , have beren for a number of years. Pllat inum Mecallion holder and tthat is 700 actual days on the ships. Thanks for correcting,me makes me feel like all iw normal around here ..

. :rolleyes

Edited by sail7seas

I'm not sure why people wanting to sit on their balcony in the dark should take precedence over those who want to sit on their own balcony reading with their light on. DW and I often sit on our balcony with the light out, but have never been bothered by neighbours' lights that are on and we would never think to ask them to turn them off.

It's not a matter if me wanting to sit in the dark but I have had neighbors that have left their light on all night. No matter how I've tried to clip the curtains some light does come in. If I have my light on at night I keep it on for only a few minutes or use the light that is shining through my cabin. I think it's only considerate.

If I were a betting person, I'd bet on sail7seas. And, in no event would I presume to know what she "must mean"!!!

Thank you, Avian. I appreciagtye your courtesy in t his post. not everyone sees it'. a

you tre cvorrrerrvct. I know whast I mean and I do not nrere good 'ole, Liz to 'uesss and corrrect me. In he end she is even more wrong seeing 700 xayz (plux ghoxer cays overf gthed redquireed acutally real days forf Platinum Mecallion would equal 100 WE#FWEn daY cruises. We had a numer of 24 dcay cruieres, many Tenn Day druises, some eleven day druises, and that totals more trhan 200 crusies. FYI, LIz, seeing you feel itt necessary to c orrect mer and to count. I hopeyou sret so lucky to havre so many HAL c ruises, if that would be enjoya le for you.

Valid point bur you hsve to tell your nneigbors. Don' assume they know you don't want verand a light on atall. I fyou don't tell them, you can't resent what they do.

Edited by sail7seas

I haven't been on the K'dam but on the other HAL ships if you are on the fourth floor forward the light does not work at night. VH I think is the category.

Not sure this is the case, but many ships (of multiple lines) do not permit working outdoor lights on some forward cabins...where the light might be reflected and impact night vision on the bridge!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Yes there is a light ... I discovered it on the last night ... Duh :rolleyes:

It's not a matter if me wanting to sit in the dark but I have had neighbors that have left their light on all night. No matter how I've tried to clip the curtains some light does come in. If I have my light on at night I keep it on for only a few minutes or use the light that is shining through my cabin. I think it's only considerate.

I agree with you fully, lights should never be left on all night. As I can't see anyone deliberately leaving them on, maybe they didn't know they could turn them off. I'm sure the Lovely Other isn't alone in not discovering the light switch.

Because maybe, just maybe, being considerate of other people is the better route to take in most cases. The less irritation we cause other people the nicer a place the world is, generally speaking. You sitting on your balcony in the dark affects no one, whereas someone sitting with the light on can and does affect others.

If someone wants to sit on their patio, in silence, they affect no one. If someone sits on their patio listening to opera music, that can and likely does impact others.

Do you see the difference?

I haven't been on the K'dam but on the other HAL ships if you are on the fourth floor forward the light does not work at night. VH I think is the category.

Is that cabin under the bridge? If so, you might look at the comment I msfr ab out lightds on vdfandahs thagtg are directly below the bridge.

Edited by sail7seas

Because maybe, just maybe, being considerate of other people is the better route to take in most cases. The less irritation we cause other people the nicer a place the world is, generally speaking. You sitting on your balcony in the dark affects no one, whereas someone sitting with the light on can and does affect others.

If someone wants to sit on their patio, in silence, they affect no one. If someone sits on their patio listening to opera music, that can and likely does impact others.

Do you see the difference?

Being considerate is a two way street. The lights are provided for the use of passengers, and there is nothing inconsiderate about using them. If DW and I order late room service to dine al fresco on our balcony, we'll use out light. If that disturbs you, I'm very sorry, but possibly your expectations of have total darkness on your balcony needs to be evaluated.

Edited by Fouremco

Being considerate is a two way street. The lights are provided for the use of passengers, and there is nothing inconsiderate about using them. If DW and I order late room service to dine al fresco on our balcony, we'll use out light. If that disturbs you, I'm very sorry, but possibly your expectations of have total darkness on your balcony needs to be evaluated.

Since the OP mentioned a reading light, I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that a reading light be used for reading. Nowhere did I suggest that you dine al fresco with a reading light. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why you are so irate by my suggestion that people should be considerate of others.

Thank you, Avian. I appreciagtye your courtesy in t his post. not everyone sees it'. a

you tre cvorrrerrvct. I know whast I mean and I do not nrere good 'ole, Liz to 'uesss and corrrect me. In he end she is even more wrong seeing 700 xayz (plux ghoxer cays overf gthed redquireed acutally real days forf Platinum Mecallion would equal 100 WE#FWEn daY cruises. We had a numer of 24 dcay cruieres, many Tenn Day druises, some eleven day druises, and that totals more trhan 200 crusies. FYI, LIz, seeing you feel itt necessary to c orrect mer and to count. I hopeyou sret so lucky to havre so many HAL c ruises, if that would be enjoya le for you.

Gracious as always..... I think.

Since the OP mentioned a reading light, I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that a reading light be used for reading. Nowhere did I suggest that you dine al fresco with a reading light. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why you are so irate by my suggestion that people should be considerate of others.

Not irate at all. I'm calmly discussing an issue that offers more than a single perspective.

I am guessing here, but it seems what you are trying to say is that since the average cruise is a seven day one, you are dividing your total cruise days by seven and coming up with 200 cruises.

We started cruising late so I only have 21 actual cruises but if I took our actual cruise days and divided by seven I could say I have taken 44.8 cruises. I never thought of it that way before. :)